Super sets

(3 Posts)
fredabear Sat 06-Jun-15 13:44:53

Just had a new programme devised at the gym involving lots of interval cardio and super sets for abs/legs. Its seems to be working - I'm certainly feeling the pain - but why/how does it work better doing it this way than a more traditional way?

LordEmsworth Sat 06-Jun-15 20:45:14

Most of my programmes are super set-based. Because there's no rest, they're quicker to do, and that keeps your heart rate up, so boosts your metabolism; psychologically, you don't get bored and tempted to stop before you finish than if you're doing "normal" sets.

Some combinations also mean that you balance or enhance your workout - so e.g. a longer core exercise like plank plus plyometric like box jumps - the first is long and slow, second is fast and sharp, so they work your body in different but complementary ways.

fredabear Sun 07-Jun-15 08:53:18

Thanks Lord that makes sense, switching legs to abs to legs to abs without a break is keeping me going without complete agony in one body part, I'm quite enjoying it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now