Anyone fancy starting Couch to 5K on Monday 5th Aug?

(691 Posts)
workatemylife Tue 30-Jul-13 10:39:24

I have not run for YEARS. In the last 18 months I have lost a lot of weight through diet and exercise (walking), and, it would appear, breastfeeding. But I'm back at work, LO isn't drinking me dry any more, my diet is not all that it could be, and the weight is sneaking back on. I don't have the opportunity for long buggy walks with a gurgling baby to toddler groups and playparks, but I do try to cycle to work to get a bit of exercise, although probably not enough. A couple of friends do Park Run eack weekend and I'd love to join them, but at the moment I suspect it would be Park Huff and Puff before Collapsing rather than actually a RUN blush.

I'm planning to start a C25K plan on Monday next week, and would love some (virtual) run buddies until I feel brave / fit enough to run with real people as well. I've seen some positive comments about the plan on here, although I think I'm still a little hmm about whether it is possible to progress like that through the weeks and actually get as far as a 5K. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

I have running shoes somewhere at the back of the wardrobe, but might need to invest in some suitable clothing, and have a weekend of overindulgence lined up. So Monday is the day I think. First Monday of the month, and counting. I'll put a big ring around a late Sept Park Run on the calendar and start counting.....

Anyone care to join me?

Tinwe Wed 14-Aug-13 13:58:13

Well done Daydream too! I prefer running off road but find the uneven ground tougher on joints. So there's benefits to both your routes smile

Tinwe Wed 14-Aug-13 14:00:21

Thanks Goodas, I'll try those smile

goodasitgets Wed 14-Aug-13 20:01:58

Just tracked week 1 run 1 and I did 2.3 miles. Been to spin tonight (hard!!)
Going to repeat w1r1 until I can actually run (or stagger) the full 60 seconds

lurkingfromhome Thu 15-Aug-13 09:20:57

About to go out for W2R2 (second time round). Achilles tendon better but knee is dodgy so will have to see how it goes. Longing to move on to Week 3 now as I feel I've been repeating runs for weeks. grin

Anyone else venturing out today?

lurkingfromhome Thu 15-Aug-13 11:11:36

Am back. W2R2 complete. No tiredness, not out of breath, but Achilles tendon, knee and back all playing up now. Grrrr. They felt fine before I left the house sad. Will stretch now and bung some ice on them.

On another note, I was just coming back in when I met my handsome neighbour, at least 15 years younger than me and superfit, on his way back from the gym. I am ashamed to say that I pretended to be a real runner and when he asked where I ran, I said airily, "oh you know, I have a route that goes round the streets," attempting to look blasé about it all. My puce face and stringy fringe no doubt made me competely and utterly desirable in his eyes grin

redwellybluewelly Thu 15-Aug-13 13:42:37

I'm due to run w1r3 tonight, I've been busy all day so ar doing housework as older DD at nursery and so younger DD is catching up on sleep.

Weighed myself before and after DD's lunchtime feed, incredibly changed by 2lb! I've a horrible feeling however much of my weight will hang around until I stop feeding but at least I can improve my fitness!

goodasitgets Thu 15-Aug-13 14:00:03

No run for me today (I think spin has killed me off) grin
Hydro pool today, w1r1 repeated tomorrow after a riding lesson then RPM spin on Saturday am

workatemylife Thu 15-Aug-13 14:15:43

Good to have you 'back' lurking, although it sounds like your body is protesting a bit! I have the opposite problem (at the moment at least) - no aches and pains with the joints but a distinct lack of aerobic fitness. I feel more than ready for the end of the 'run' sections of the app. I hope that will improve over time because if nothing else I would like to be fitter as a result of all this.
2lb welly! I never tried weighing before and after a feed, but I did rather rely on bf to get my weight down after both kids and as a justification for eating my bodyweight in chocolate every day which I've now had to stop doing
Week 3 has been okay for me so far. I didn't get home to any gorgeous neighbours lurking but I did encounter some friendly evangelists waiting on my doorstep the other day. They were very nice, but clearly concerned that I was about to meet my maker blush

Tinwe Thu 15-Aug-13 14:21:01

Poor you Lurking! I bet your painful limp disappeared quickly when you saw your neighbour wink Well done for sticking with it! Any plans on what to do about those pains in the long run? I found a Physio v helpful and expensive but worth it for one off advice.

I'm feeling a bit hmm DH just got some smaller clothes down from the loft for me which I'd boxed up when I was pregnant. They're a range of sizes but I was disappointed only 4 things fit me, got about another stone for the rest.

Tinwe Thu 15-Aug-13 14:30:05

Me too with the cardio, Work!

redwellybluewelly Thu 15-Aug-13 18:51:31

Tinwe I have the most utterly gorgeous White Stuff fitted jeans which I love and adore - I so hope I'll get back into them one day! (Preferably by New Year when I go back to work!)

I'm meant to run tonight but I'm dipping out, just too hot and my shoulder seema to have developed an annoying ache. I'll run tomorrow instead.

RosinaCopper Thu 15-Aug-13 22:47:49

I've just got in from W2R1 after a 3 day gap (circumstances beyond my control meant that I haven't been free to go out running this week yet, and this is far too late for me, but I felt the gap was just getting too big since my W1R3).

I really tried to not run heel first (despite Laura saying that I should) and it felt okay, although a bit ploddy and heavy footed. I managed the 90 second runs okay too, although it was a bit harder than a minute, but that's the point, isn't it?!

emsyj Thu 15-Aug-13 22:58:37

Can I join in?? I have just completed the week 1 runs and should be moving on to week 2 tomorrow or Saturday, but feeling a bit cautious as I found the 60 second runs really hard. Is it a big step-up?

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 08:15:21

Emsyj - welcome! I haven't found each week/step harder as such, just different. I'm on week 3 now and was dreading the move up but each level has less walk/run/walk cycles than the previous (so on week 2 you only have 6 run phases per session and on week 3 only 4) so each running bit might be tougher but there's less to face before you finish! Week one's run/walk/run seemed to go on for ages!

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 08:16:43

Well done Rosina! How are you feeling today after changing your running gait yesterday?

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 08:19:19

Red Welly - I'm sure you will if you stick at it. You should post a picture when you're there smile I need to start eating better if I'm going to fit into my gold Lycra jumpsuit by Christmas too... Joke! Joke I can assure you!

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 10:44:26

W3R2 completed! According to Map my Run I'm averaging 7.4mins /km. How is everyone else using the app doing?

workatemylife Fri 16-Aug-13 12:35:41

Well done Tinwe!

I'm not using an app so I can only guess at speed from time and distance covered. Today I covered about 3.8km in 26 / 27 mins. I do wonder if I walk faster than I run though (!) so the warm-up walk was probably the best part of this!

At the moment I'm just following the timings from NHS Laura and not worrying too much about distance. But I've found a map of the local Parkrun course and might try running around that in the later weeks of the schedule. I'd love to know whether I could get round the Parkrun course before I register to do it and discover that 30 minutes of running for me equates to about one lap!

Here's to some loose-fitting jeans as a result of all this. I don't possess a lycra jumpsuit alas, but would probably burst out of it if I sat down at the moment wink

lurkingfromhome Fri 16-Aug-13 12:55:40

Aaargh. My knee is now so painful that I can't possibly run on it, in fact I can barely walk and I am downing extra-strength Voltarol. Woke up at 6:30 this morning just with the pain. What have I done to myself? sad

I have another sports/deep tissue massage booked in for Monday morning. My Achilles tendon is not too troublesome but I need to get the knee sorted before I can go out again. Grrrrrrr. Very very annoyed, especially as otherwise I actually feel I am doing quite well, not getting any new injuries and managing the cardio stuff just fine.

Hoping if I rest until Wednesday that I might be able to go out again then, which will mean a 6-day break. Sigh.

slev Fri 16-Aug-13 14:56:39

Well I did W1R2 last night and oof, that was a lot harder than the first one. Think the novelty has worn off already and my muscles just couldn't be bothered. But I did enjoy nonchalantly (sp?) informing DH that I was "just going out for a run" - because that's what I do now. Apparently I covered 2.2 miles - although suffice to say the interval distances got shorter and shorter as I got more knackered. Will try and do R3 first thing Saturday morning I think, and then have the weekend off.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to lose any weight but on the plus side I can justify the piece of carrot cake I've just demolished because at least I did something to earn it. Even if it had twice as many calories as I burnt off in my run... But for me it's more about fitness and hopefully just being a bit less lethargic in the evenings.

Oh. W3R3 was a disaster. I won't be moving on to w4 on Sunday as planned, I think I'll repeat this week and see how I get on. Feeling a bit sad if I`m struggling already then it doesn't bode well.

lurking, could you maybe try some ibroprofen to reduce any inflamation in your knee? Sounds awful. Plenty of rest, you can pick up the running again when it feels better, then maybe you could strap it up when you first start to run again.

Disclaimer, i have no experience of this so feel free to ignore my waffle grin.

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 21:46:41

Hello Ilove! Not seen you for a bit. Why such a disaster? I found W3R2 quite a bit harder than R1 but still plan to try and move up as planned after R3. If I can't cope with the next level I'll step back then.

Tinwe Fri 16-Aug-13 21:48:25

dotty , my run twin, have you done W3R2 yet?

Hello Tinwe. I set off okay and felt like i could tell i was improving but it came to the last 3 minute run and i couldn't do it - i had to walk it. I don't know if it's because i ran this evening and i was tired and warm (i usually run at 6:30 am) or if I just need to repeat the week. W4 really steps up with a couple of 5 min runs and i don't thonk I'm fit enough / prepared enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now