has anyone joined a gym recently and wants to motivate and be motivated ?

(85 Posts)
travellingwilbury Mon 25-Feb-13 17:49:20

I have only joined today , I need to lose 3 stones and I really want to get fit .
the first step has been taken and its my day off tomorrow so back again then .

but I know I will need a bit of a kick every now and then to keep going .

anyone else want to join me ? grin

MOSagain Thu 07-Mar-13 07:49:20

Hi travelling. I did an hour with my personal trainer yesterday am and then a Pilates class last night, needless to say, I hurt this morning!

Am off to Machu Picchu, the Inca Trail in Peru. Sounded a bloody good idea when I signed up for it. Am doing it for NDCS who I've supported for years (trekked China for them 7 years ago and Jordan 18 months ago) but also this time its for SANDS, in memory of the lovely Mumsnetter MrsY's darling son Benedict who was born sleeping last April. I'm hoping me focusing on that will get my lardy arse fitter and I'll achieve it.

You are so right about evenings, after a full day I'm shattered but am hoping that now its much lighter in the evenings that will help. What I really need to do is get out walking as much as possible in my walking boots and with my rucksack but its quite lonely on your own.

elfycat Thu 07-Mar-13 08:37:39

No gym for me today. Had a very interrupted night's sleep with both DDs and my cough (with sinus headache throbbing at every cough) has returned.

On the plus side I had already booked the kids into the creche for 2 hours. Too late to cancel now so I will just have to take them and then sit and drink tea while crocheting or reading.

<polishes tarnished halo> so even though I will not be going to the gym I am going to run my day as though I have the time for it and will attend the venue.

travellingwilbury Thu 07-Mar-13 14:57:56

That trek sounds fab MOS , I remember Benedict , my first son died at 14 mths so I know a bit how she feels . She must be so touched you are doing the trek with him in mind .

I have been to the gym and managed 30 mins cross trainer and 20 mins treadmill . I didn't have time to do the weights , if I do everything I am supposed to it takes me an hour and a half .

Elfy I think that sounds like a great plan , I hope you enjoyed the rest and get a better night tonight .

MOSagain Thu 07-Mar-13 15:31:48

elfy hope your headache goes soon, I've had quite a few recently, think its withdrawl symthoms (chocolate and coffee) are you a woolly hugger wink

travelling so very sorry about your DS, I think I remember reading your story once (((hugs))) I did a charity race night last month for NDCS and SANDS and Mrs Y came along which must of been hard for her but it was lovely to see her there. I just want to raise as much money and awareness as possible. The statistics are shocking, 17 a day sad

Well done on gym, I've done nothing today. My body is aching all over after gym yesterday and my headache just won't shift. Am starting to panic a little bit, I'm really not prepared for this trek and am worried I'll be holding everyone else up. I had hoped to go out for a nice walk today after the beautiful weather the past few days but its not stopped raining today.

elfycat Thu 07-Mar-13 15:39:53

I'm a closet woolly hugger - I've lurked in Arts and Crafts but not really posted.

I've booked the kids in next week so I'm ready to crochet exercise! I've wimped out and taken painkillers as |I can't face my tormentors the offspring without them. Feeling better but really need to sleep!

MOS what a lovely thing to be doing with your exercise, time and effort.

journeygirl Thu 07-Mar-13 15:49:50

Try interval training on the cardio machines or running. You achieve so much more in much less time and less boring. For instance I go on the cross trainer for 20 minutes x 3 per week usually. Each time I do 2 minutes at an easy pace and then 1 minute very fast. I have to have the right music on. Keep an eye on the clock and then it is done.

<waves to everybody>

Can I join in here please smile

Started back at the gym this morning, I have a mammouth task of between 3 - 4 stone to lose or alternatively 4 dress sizes shock, Ive never been this big before and after seeing a photo (usually manage to avoid avoid avoid photos) of myself the other evening I shocked myself. After having a good cry to dd and dh I went back this morning.

I spent an hour on cardio machines, and have only snacked on fruit today. Day 1 nearly done, gotta do it all again tomorrow shock grin

travellingwilbury Thu 07-Mar-13 16:02:19

I tend to do fast walk for two mins and jog for two mins ( I don't think I could really call it a run ) I keep that up for 30 mins normally but I hadn't really thought of interval on the cross trainer .

Ten weeks is ages MOS , that is one and two thirds summer holidays , now that is a looong time .

Elfy I hope the tormentors behave themselves .

I am hoping to get to the gym again tomorrow , I will start with the weights and then see how I get on .

travellingwilbury Thu 07-Mar-13 16:05:20

Well done dreams ! I think that first time is the hardest , it was for me anyway . I now feel like I should be there and no (ish) what I am doing .

Good luck , I know that feeling of seeing a photo of yourself and having a good cry

travellingwilbury Thu 07-Mar-13 16:06:31

No equals know , the shame.

I might try My Fitness Pal when I start the diet. Parents are visiting on the 15th for a few days and will start after that as I've no idea what plans we have for food while they're here and they're rather fussy.

Haven't been to the gym this week. Started Monday late afternoon with sinus pain. Luckily not sinusitis but meant I've struggled all week (haven't been able to tilt head or bend much). It's getting better though.

travellingwilbury Mon 11-Mar-13 10:21:54

How is everyone getting on ?

Been back again today , and I weighed myself and I have lost half stone since joining . I am really pleased , it makes all the effort worthwhile .

terracottatoad Mon 11-Mar-13 10:47:57

I'm joining a gym TODAY! So I will be haunting this thread. It's just the local council gym but they have loads of classes and stuff. I suffer from pretty bad anxiety, especially around gym classes (after being really terrible at school PE lessons - I hate not being able to do things and I am really badly co-ordinated), so hopefully I'll be able to work on overcoming that. When I do exercise I feel better, so it's a case of breaking a vicious cycle.

travellingwilbury Mon 11-Mar-13 10:56:41

Good luck terracota . I feel loads better for going already and its only been two weeks .

terracottatoad Mon 11-Mar-13 11:09:06

Oh good! Well hopefully we can keep motivating each other! We'll be turning into a couple of those skinny, bouncy, shiny-haired gym bunnies in no time.

travellingwilbury Mon 11-Mar-13 11:13:55

That made me laugh , fingers crossed we have to buy a whole new wardrobe very soon

terracottatoad Mon 11-Mar-13 19:20:43

Let's hope so! Just got back from my first session, feeling good. Going to go to a class tomorrow morning too.

travellingwilbury Tue 12-Mar-13 17:22:48

Well done terracotta , how did the class go today ? Snow day here so I haven't been able to get to the gym .

Hopefully tomorrow but have a stupid meeting at work and if it runs over I won't make it . Can't believe I am so keen to go .

terracottatoad Tue 12-Mar-13 19:50:09

Had pilates today, it was fun! never done it before so struggled with a few things - it looks like you're doing just easy, small movements but they're actually really hard! Going to aim to do some cardio tomorrow though.

Hope you manage to get there tomorrow - I know what you mean, I've never felt so keen to exercise before... weird feeling.

travellingwilbury Tue 12-Mar-13 20:36:50

It is very odd isn't it ? I am in week three now and I am really enjoying it .

I think for the first time ever I have realised that I need to do the exercise to lose the weight for good and not yo yo .

Silly really as its obvious .

terracottatoad Tue 12-Mar-13 21:54:12

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like it's what my body's meant to be doing, iyswim? Hopefully that feeling will stick around...

travellingwilbury Wed 13-Mar-13 09:33:40

I knew I wouldn't have time to fit the gym in today so I did the evil shred instead . Bloody Hell I would rather do an hour on the treadmill than twenty minutes of that .

Really glad I did something though , whenever I have tried fitting in exercise before I have welcomed any excuse to skip it . This time it feels different , Di.gets crossed it stays like this .

KettleCrunch Wed 13-Mar-13 20:59:20

Hi travelling, toad here but have namechanged... I like to think my new name could either summon up images of crunching kettle chips on the sofa, or doing badass kettlebells and ab crunches! Hopefully I'll be doing more of those second two.

Well done for doing the evil shred. I hate that thing but it's an excellent fallback for if you can't get out of the house, or just want to fit in some exercise while dinner's in the oven.

I just did my first ever bodycombat class tonight. Bloody hell all over again. I think it broke me. Would SO rather do an hour on the treadmill!! But I might have to go back next week, once I've forgotten the pain a bit...!

BsshBossh Wed 13-Mar-13 22:50:25

I joined a gym last month and am loving it. I like the routine of going there after school drop off (work from home so am able to be flexible) plus the monthly cost makes me go so I feel I get my money's worth! I'm a loner who suits solitary working out rather than classes and I like listening to my own music (the only time I manage to listen to music these days) or watching BBC News 24 on the gym TV whilst on the treadmill or stepper. I try and go 4 times a week for a 45 minute cardio workout. Am 10lbs to goal weight (though have lost virtually all my weight - 55lbs - through diet alone in the last year) and am soon planning on shifting more towards weights training.

KettleCrunch Wed 13-Mar-13 23:15:45

BsshBossh I work from home too - the gym is a great place to go to avoid doing the washing up get out of the house and do something productive.

What dietary changes did you make to lose the weight, if you don't mind me asking? Congratulations on such a massive loss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now