Cycling gloves for a 2 year old?

(13 Posts)
MrsSpoutfire Fri 16-Nov-12 21:25:45

Looking to buy my almost 2 year old a pair of cycling gloves. He is fairly small for his age. Something warm(ish) and tough. And not too expensive... Any recommendations?

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 07:53:52

All the small ones seem to be fingerless.

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 20:22:45

He doesn't like wearing normal mittens - I think he can't get a grip on the handlebars.

Mummydoctor Sat 17-Nov-12 20:31:09

DS1 started riding a balance bike from his 2nd birthday. We just bought him standard cheap supermarket gloves. We had a few pairs in case they got wet. He is now 3.5yrs old and riding a pedal bike. We have found some proper cycle gloves which are warm, thinsulate lined and waterproof. They are altura and come in xs which is perfect, but may be too big for your 2 yr old.

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 21:45:29

Thanks, I can only find altura ones in Small which is 5-6. I guess that means XS would be 3-4 and be too big anyway.

I guess I could get him xs cycling fingerless mitts and put gloves underneath. We are in North Scotland so need something that will keep his hands extra warm.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 17-Nov-12 21:49:06

there is a similar problem thread query on Bikeradar, look in their family & kids section. Some suggestions there.

Racing BMX clubs are quite suitable, but they are full fingered. Not sure if what you want. Size 2 or 3, I guess.

wonkylegs Sat 17-Nov-12 21:49:34

At 2 we found them all too big for DS on his bike. we ended up getting multiple lots of magic gloves and swapping them if they get damp. Mind you we have a Geordie lad and he often refuses any gloves when on his bike (nutter)

lljkk Netherlands Sat 17-Nov-12 21:50:51

Oh sorry, didn't read properly. So you do want fingered ones.
But price might be high. I suppose we just used Magic gloves at that age.

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 21:55:58

Bikeradar forum looks very useful (might just leave Mumsnet and live there instead ;) )

Had a quick look at the BMX ones and I think that is what I am looking for.

wonky - ds keeps removing his mittens - it was below freezing today and he was going blue...

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 22:09:32

Success!

www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/search/2013_fly_racing_f16_youth_gloves_-_red

They call them motorcross gloves but on the fly racing website they say for MTB etc too.

Stupid question but by size 2 (XXS) does that mean age 2?

lljkk Netherlands Sat 17-Nov-12 22:14:04

I think those are same gloves DS had for BMX racing smile.

He wore a size 5 when he was 6yo, and was small for age.

Do they allow return & exchanges?

MrsSpoutfire Sat 17-Nov-12 22:21:14

Thanks smile

It says they allow return if the packaging is intact so hopefully he will be able to try them on without taking tags off etc.

Thanks for your help, I'd better get to bed because it is his birthday tomorrow and I can foresee lots of running around after him on his new bike!

MrsSpoutfire Mon 19-Nov-12 14:34:10

Even better my sister texted me to say she had been looking for a pair of cycle gloves for ds for his birthday but couldn't find any in his size so I sent her the link grin

I found a good print out size thing too - he is XXXS! (and even those may be a bit big...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now