Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

Fishandjam Sun 05-Jan-14 20:47:45

Anyone want to resurrect this thread?

surfandturf Tue 10-Sep-13 19:02:00

Hi Artemis! How's the new house? Very exciting! I know what you mean - my 5k is in less than 5 weeks and I haven't been out running for ages - although I am pleased it's only 5k and not a half marathon!

I'm going to go out in the morning and try and get at least 3 k in. Been keeping up with exercise classes though so not been a complete bum at least.

Hi Funny, How are you getting on with C25K? What week are you on now?

Where has everyone gone? It's been so quiet on here lately...

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Sep-13 09:06:39

Hello all!! grin We moved house, so I haven't been running in 4 week until yesterday (ouch!)

managed 3.79k yest, 5.79k today. Trying not to think about that half-marathon in October -why oh why did I drink and surf the net... confused

FunnyRunner Sun 01-Sep-13 21:47:32

Got properly out of breath today, not helped by the 'double-bra-ring-of-steel' around my chest confused

surfandturf Fri 30-Aug-13 14:07:48

Hi Funny - you made me laugh with the eye of the tiger and fist punching!!!

I never did any other warmup other than the 5 minute walk although I do think it's easy to just walk along for 5 minutes when really you need to be 'power walking' to increase your heart rate. Are you sure you are pushing yourself to do a fast 5 minute walk? It may help. If not try doing a few stretches first too. I'm sure no-one will laugh at you on the beach not to your face anyway grin

FunnyRunner Thu 29-Aug-13 13:10:45

Well I did my run (W1 R2) and it was harder today, mainly because I pushed harder during the running and managed to get a bit out of breath. Last day my calves were burning during the first run - today they didn't start until the 4th run.

One thing though - my ankles were very tight during the first run. My warm up has really only been the 5 min walk but should I be doing other stuff? And if so do you have to pause the app? And will I look nuts on the beach?

FunnyRunner Thu 29-Aug-13 09:58:40

<Waves> at fish and surf. You have inspired me to step away from MN and go for my run.

<pumps fist, sings 'eye of the tiger'> wink

surfandturf Wed 28-Aug-13 21:14:51

Hi fish and welcome funny.

Fish you would definitely fight me and lose for the title of most truly crap runner but hoping to change that back round once the kids get back to school. I wouldn't worry about your times - at least you are actually still going out running (unlike me).

Funny - c25k is a great way to start off. In fact it's been so long since I went for a run I may go back to it and start to build myself up again slowly. You've certainly come to the right place for support and advice - the 'team' on this thread are great!

Fishandjam Wed 28-Aug-13 16:59:02

Hello funny! Welcome to the Truly Crap Runners Club - not that the likes of Beluga, Artemis and Lavender are crap. In fact I'm probably the only one who fits that description grin

I am very envy at your being able to run on the beach. Mind you don't overstretch your hamstrings though!

I dunno about tips as I'm still a newbie myself. The best advice I was given was not to try to do too much too soon, as that way discouragement lies. But if you've got a C25K app, that should let you in nice and gradually.

I managed 4.5k last night but the public footpath route I take is getting dreadfully overgrown. I blame my rubbish time on having to push my way through chest-high brambles at various points.

FunnyRunner Tue 27-Aug-13 12:30:40

Hi all! Hope you don't mind me sneaking into the party late but this thread popped up in most active last night - and inspired me to finally use my C25K app after 2 months of neglect. Haven't read all the thread but great tip at start about the bra-doubling - thank you! I have gigantic norks so wore my firm underwire with a sports bra over the top and those puppies didn't wriggle grin

I live near a beach so planning to do most of my running there. My calves really burned this morning doing the 60 sec bursts sad Really am woefully unfit. Next run will be Thursday. Any good tips for newbies?

Fishandjam Mon 26-Aug-13 23:05:02

I am! I'm struggling a bit to get back into my rhythm of going out 3 times a week, but I really need to.

I hate summer actually. I know I'm an unreasonable grouch about it but I just hate being hot, sweaty, greasy-faced etc. I don't like getting my legs and arms out either. Roll on Autumn!

surfandturf Mon 26-Aug-13 19:57:08

Hi all, hope you are all enjoying summer. I have my 5k looming so really need to start training again from beginning of September. Who's with me???!!!

LavenderBriggs Sun 11-Aug-13 17:06:45

Hi Fish and Surf Yes please to writing off August. DH still can't run and I'm rubbish on my own.

I've been doing the Shred. I did 8 days in a row then yesterday I thought that I should walk through level 2 - I ended up doing it at full pelt. Today I did level 1, rested for 20 mins, then level 2 again. I love it. I grunt and groan and I may have even yelped a bit today, but I do actually feel stronger.

I feel as if I've got my EDS by the throat.

Hope you're all having cracking Augusts (yours sounds very busy Surf, hope it's enjoyable).

surfandturf Fri 09-Aug-13 20:55:50

Hi all. School summer holidays are a bit of a write off for me I'm afraid. It's my busiest time work-wise coupled with the fact that we have relatives staying with us for about 5 weeks in total with a quick camping trip to Cornwall inbetween!!! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. How about we do our own thing through August I.e. nothing and we'll set a new challenge to get us back up to full strength in September.

Fishandjam Wed 07-Aug-13 23:00:26

3.7 in the kitty tonight. Took ages because I kept stopping to stuff myself refuel with blackberries. Too tired to write more just now, will check in again tomorrow!

LavenderBriggs Sun 04-Aug-13 16:27:50

Hello all. I've done nothing! I hate the hot weather so much - I think it might be to do with the autonomic nervous system issues the Ehlers Danlos brings. The worst of it seems to have broken, so I can get back to life again. Also, I picked up another freelance client so I've been working hard (yay!).

DH has hurt his achilles so running just isn't happening. So I started on the Shred. DH had a go and loved it. I put a 30 ban on running (DH was getting a bit stressed about not being able to do any) and we're doing 30 days of Shred - using it as a goal instead of a second best (I'm hoping that some of my sport and exercise psychology training is being used here).

So, nothing to add to any totals, but I've just done day three of Shred and really enjoyed it.

How's everyone?

Fishandjam Fri 02-Aug-13 21:32:08

I have 4 very slow and sweaty K to bank tonight. (Too hot last night.)

Fishandjam Thu 01-Aug-13 16:19:27

Ok ladies, it's 1 August! So what will be our challenge?

For me it will be actually getting my increasingly lardy arse back out and running. I haven't been for yonks. I'm going to try 30 mins tonight at whatever pace I can manage. I want to build up to doing our local parkrun!

surfandturf Sat 27-Jul-13 08:27:16

Hi all, just checking in. Hope everyone is well and glad to hear you are on the mend fishandjam.

Lavender I think it's a great idea to start a new challenge in August. PLUS if the weather is still warm <hopeful> we can reduce things slightly to account for it. Well done on your 14k!

I haven't done any running for a while but I have been keeping up with my exercise class. It's been outside in the late evening which really suits me in this sticky weather and i'm kind of enjoying it. I've even been cycling there and back rather than jumping in the car.

Need to get back to the running more seriously from Sept though as I don't want to make a complete fool of myself doing my first 5k in Oct!!!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Fishandjam Thu 25-Jul-13 10:58:19

Hello all!

I'm feeling a lot better lavender, thanks. I don't think I was that ill, at least not as ill as the M word might have you believe, but I certainly felt pretty rough at various stages and it's left me very washed out. (Though at least the hideous trots that the IV antibiotics gave me are over. If you'll forgive the TMI, I couldn't trust a fart for several days blush) Good work on your 14 k! I'm a bit apprehensive about starting again, I haven't been since my hares-and-elderflowers run at MIL's. I guess I need to start slowly and build back up.

artemis, when'd your half marathon - October, isn't it?

LavenderBriggs Fri 19-Jul-13 09:24:20

FishandJam how are you? It sounds as if it's been a bit scary. Hope you're feeling better.

Artemis exactly - how can they comment when they're pissed and sunburnt. Twats. Well done for keeping going when he rest of us have collapsed into sweaty heaps.

Surf Yay! I did 14k on Saturday and Sunday. We've got the next target in our sights. I think it's a good idea for us to get through heatwave and rest of July in what ever way we can then get a new challenge in August. I love a bit of planning.

I've done nothing. Hate anything over 28 degrees - I can't function and my pain goes up a bit (don't know why, but a lot of people with EDS find the same thing happens). But it's a bit cooler today and I'm itching to do something - lack of exercise is making me feel very uncomfortable.

ArtemisatBrauron Wed 17-Jul-13 22:22:51

3.6k of disgustingly sweaty hill work today. I have the spectre of my half marathon hanging over me so that keeps me going grin

Happy to do own thing until August!

surfandturf Wed 17-Jul-13 22:16:23

Hey ladies - I'm still here and still totting up the totals!

Lavender of course we can include your walking - it all counts and I would love to be on your team!!!

Artemis Well done for keeping going in this heat!

Fishandjam seriously? It's hard enough keeping track of these totals without everyone trying to confuse me with name changes!!! Hope you are feeling much better though thanks

Anyone heard from Belugagrad lately?

I haven't done any running this week but have done my intense training class and am planning on doing the class again tomorrow. Just feels too hot to run so am preferring to do the class in the evening when it's a bit cooler.

Shall we just keep going doing our own thing for the rest of this month and then plan a new challenge to start from 1st August? - I can't believe we are heading towards the end of July already! I will still keep a tally for July and let you all know but then we could start from the 1st of the month rather than the 11th? What do you all think?

Fishandjam Tue 16-Jul-13 20:20:54

Yay, I'm home!! Viral meningitis confirmed, but as I was so much better they let me out. Still faintly headachey but nothing major. Will take things easy for the next few days.

So, anyone done any more sweaty running? Artemis, I bet you thought of lots of withering putdowns to your drunk hecklers....after you'd left them behind grin That's what happens to me, anyway!

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 15-Jul-13 18:15:30

lavender thanks smile apparently "even though" I run I have a "nice wobbly ass" angry well at least I have a top on and I am not bright red with sunburn and making a disgrace of myself in front of small children and families ... ok rant over.

5k from me today, heat slightly less oppressive. Are we still counting?

Hope you're feeling better today Fishand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now