Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

XBenedict Mon 14-Jan-13 23:13:56

Love to run not live

LavenderBriggs Tue 15-Jan-13 08:28:30

Haha, Surf, have sent you a message.

Hi XBenedict. It sounds like you're ready to get started. Why not give it a go? Then come back and tell us how you got on. Good luck!

surfandturf Tue 15-Jan-13 11:10:23

Hi XBenedict - welcome! Go for it! Would definitely recommend couch to 5 k. Let us know how you get on!

surfandturf Tue 15-Jan-13 21:12:24

Lavender Noticing the repetition of celery, salmon and chicken. Also trying to work out if your coffee with cream is less calories than my coffee with 1 sugar and skimmed milk! God I am turning into a right old anorak! Really need to go and start reading more about Harold Fry for the MN bookclub rather than reading about low carb diets!!!!!

Also need to get an early night as need to be up super early for my run in the morning!

LavenderBriggs Wed 16-Jan-13 09:27:25

I LOVE CELERY grin

surfandturf Fri 18-Jan-13 21:12:34

I LOVE COUS-COUS grin (have sent you a message on mfp lavender)

How's everyone else got on this week? We got snow today so I was proactive enough to go to zumba last night as I knew I wouldn't get out for a run today.

Off to a spa tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to hitting the gym before getting in the jacuzzi shock

surfandturf Mon 21-Jan-13 14:11:00

Ok so I skipped the gym and just went straight for the jacuzzi!
No snow here today so I had a run this morning and came face to face with a fox thought it was a cat grin

LavenderBriggs Tue 22-Jan-13 09:22:50

The snow is clearing here, so I'm planning on a run tomorrow morning. I'm low-carbing, so my running energy levels are different, but I've lost 7lb in two weeks, so I'm hoping the improved power to weight ratio will sort that out.

Is anyone else still running? Would anyone like a pep-talk? Boot up the bum? Sympathy?

surfandturf Tue 22-Jan-13 13:27:06

It's all gone a bit quiet Lavender I think there's only me and you left!

LavenderBriggs Tue 22-Jan-13 14:10:11

It's probably the snow <wishful thinking>

surfandturf Tue 12-Feb-13 19:03:04

No, not much snow left now and still no-one coming forward!

mirai Wed 13-Feb-13 03:28:34

I'm here! But I feel too embarrassed to post. I wanted to get into running and yet I am still full of the typical excuses, too tired, too cold etc. However that 5k I signed up for is coming round in just a couple of weeks!! grin I am definitely going to do it.

I still want to complete the c25k programme (and be able to do the 5k without having to walk) but this winter is just too unbearably cold!! As soon as I get home I just can't face going out again!! Excuses excuses I know. But once March comes and the edge comes off it then is be happy to restart and rejoin if that's ok!! smile

mirai Wed 13-Feb-13 03:30:24

I should add I'm not in the UK hence the odd posting hours (and the continuing bitter cold haha)

surfandturf Sat 23-Feb-13 20:42:03

Welcome back Mirai - we missed you! Let us know how you get on with the 5k. I must admit since going away 2 weeks ago I haven't really got back into my usual running regime. I've only been out once a week instead of my usual 3 times a week. Going to try and start again from Monday...

LavenderBriggs Tue 26-Feb-13 14:13:40

Are we starting again? <hand hovers over running shoes>

I haven't been doing very well - had a big pain flare-up and I absolutely cannot run in very cold weather. I'm starting to get more joint pain because I'm not running - it's a simple equation for me - running = less pain.

Who is starting when?

surfandturf Tue 26-Feb-13 21:04:50

Hi Lavender! I'm back on it! Went out yesterday morning and ran for 25 minutes non-stop (my longest run ever!!!) I'm planning to do the same tomorrow. Gonna go zumba on Thursday eve, running again on Friday and then hoping to try a new Metafit class on Sunday evening.

I've felt so tired since my holiday, I think I need to pick up the pace again as I seemed to have more energy before I went away and that is when I was really sticking to a regular exercise routine.

Go on put the running shoes back on! wink

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 26-Feb-13 21:36:51

Hi Lavender, thank you for inviting me over here!

Hope you all don't mind me tagging along blush I've started running again, well to be more accurate, I went for a run on Sunday morning for the first time in 8 months, managed 18 very slow minutes, I now can't walk! Yesterday even my elbows and the muscles in between my ribs ached (how can that be!?) but I am determined to stick with it. In a way I quite like the muscle pain.

I can't wait until I get to the point where I can go for a long run, maybe even an hour. I think it's as good for my head as it is for me physically. I just need to slog through the first few months until I'm a bit fitter. I have no desire to go fast, just to enjoy a leisurely jog.

However, today I'm focusing on the fact that when I try and sit on the toilet I can't get back up and I just sit and whimper!

Plan is to go again tomorrow and do 2miles.

LavenderBriggs Wed 27-Feb-13 09:18:04

Hi Mirai How's training coming on? Completely understand about the cold - don't know where you are, but even in north London it's just too cold for me to get any real running done. When is the race?

Hi Surf Well done on 25 mins non stop! That's brilliant. And pretty inspiring smile I've got a bit of a pain thing, it's getting sorted, but my left shoulder has become very loose and I'm a bit scared about what could happen if I try to run. Have got a plan of exercises and I'll get that all started this morning.

Hi Something Welcome to Mirai's thread, hope you like what we've done with the place grin Your elbow pain is probably from the effort of swinging your arms when running - it's surprising how much you use your upper body and the ribs pain is all of your little intercostal muscles complaining about added work load. If you're not used to doing lots of cardio they can get a bit weak, so you've woken them up and given them some expanding work to do. Running is brilliant for your head too, very good for sorting out or protecting you from depression or general gloominess. Sorry to hear about the whimpering coming from the loo <straight face, not laughing at all>

surfandturf Wed 27-Feb-13 11:40:16

Hi ladies! It's good to get some conversation started on here again!

Welcome something and well done for getting started again! Hope the muscle pain starts to subside quickly. I must admit my legs have been a little achey following my 25 min stint on Monday!

I did manage to get out again this morning but woke up too late pressed snooze too many times to go for a long run today so just managed to squeeze in 18 mins which is better than nothing I suppose. Must make more effort on Friday!!!!

Keep with it lavender are you able to do small amounts of exercise more often? Could swimming be an option to take some of the stress off and hopefully reduce the pain? Have some thanks to cheer you up! I've given up on logging all my food. Doesn't seem to be making any difference to my weight so I've decided to just concentrate on trying to stick with the exercise regularly and staying fit / getting fitter.

Belugagrad Wed 27-Feb-13 15:36:50

Hello can I join? Managed a run yesterday morning. Got told off by a farmer as I veered off the footpath! He was very friendly though. It's been so cold lately, been wearing gloves and a hat and my hair down! So inspiring to hear about everyone's runningsmile

LavenderBriggs Wed 27-Feb-13 16:04:41

Surf I should be doing small amounts, but I'm so fed up with this. I just typed a huge rant about pain and moaning, then deleted it all - I'm bored to tears by it, will try and protect the rest of the world grin I'm sticking to the low carb - I'm 8 lb lighter than I was on January 1st so I'm going to stick with it, it's a real life-changer. Concentrating on fitness sounds like a really idea (you haven't got any weight to lose, have you? no, surely).

Hi Belugagrad Well done for getting out in such cold weather! How long have you been a runner?

Belugagrad Wed 27-Feb-13 17:50:21

Hi lavender, ran a lot at uni then wen I hit full time work I forgot how much I loved it and didn't make the time, then baby and wedding and its been harder to find the time. so back running after 3 years! It's been hurting but feels so good. I'm trying to go in the mornings before wrk mainly. Low carbing is pretty tough but it sounds like you've nailed it!

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 27-Feb-13 19:36:21

Hi Belugagrad, your story sounds like mine! Ran through uni then life got in the way. Started again 2 years ago and ran during the summer months, stopped for winter, started again last spring then stopped again. Now, I AM STARTING AGAIN AND STICKING TO IT, I AM! [determined face]

I just went for my second run, legs felt a bit tight at the back of my knees but much better, (and I've been able to comfortably able to sit down and stand up in the loo blush ) so I just bit the bullet and went.

Did the same 3.3km run as Sunday. I felt like I was going much faster, and felt better during, but when I checked my stats at the end it was actually slower sad ah well.

Got in the shower after and my stomach looked flatter! I know it couldn't actually be flatter, but it's all mental smile

surfandturf Wed 27-Feb-13 19:54:43

Aw Lavender. I can't imagine what it's like for you living with your condition day in day out, but what I have grasped is that you're a fighter so I'm sure you won't let it keep you down for long. Well done on the weight loss since Jan! That's amazing! I just can't stay off the chocolate!

Hi Belugagrad, welcome to the thread.

Something sounds like you've got off to a great start 2 x 3.3km runs in less than a week!

It's great to have some new recruits on the thread - should help to keep me motivated!

LavenderBriggs Wed 27-Feb-13 20:44:54

Belugagrad Lovely that you're coming back to it. I understand the happy sore muscle pain - very few things as satisfying. I'm finding low carbing pretty easy - when you start the day with buttery scrambled eggs and coffee with a big slosh of fresh cream it's hard to feel deprived..

Something Another proper runner! I'm still learning, so it will be nice to have some more experience around smile

Surf - thank you. I think one of the worst things is that it's so bloody boring. I don't want to be brave all the time. The weight thing is really cheering me up! I'm so close to getting my body fat percentage into the 'fitness' rather than 'average' category, which helps me step away from the sugar.

I'm going to have a go tomorrow morning. It will have to be pretty gentle, but I can't be on this thread without an attempt at getting my kit on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now