The Vegan Quiche

(208 Posts)
LentilAsAnything Wed 15-May-13 19:19:49

Hi

Thought I'd start a thread for the vegans and wannabe vegans.
Anyone here!?

Old thread here.

CecyHall Wed 15-May-13 21:14:06

Hello! I joined in on the old thread but under my old usernames so nice to have a new start with this name!

Looking forward to talking to people who know what I'm talking about!

LentilAsAnything Wed 15-May-13 21:47:31

Woohoo! Hi! Yes, I had two or three usernames over the course of that thread.

It is indeed nice to find kindred spirits.

Are your family vegan? DH has been vegan since before we met, about the same length of time as me, and our son (2.7) has been vegan since birth (well, conception! smile).

CecyHall Thu 16-May-13 07:48:42

No, I'm the only vegan in the family for various reasons.

I wish DH would make the change, it would certainly make going out easier, but I doubt he ever will!

LentilAsAnything Thu 16-May-13 12:02:17

It is hard to change people's minds. I was lucky to find a ready-made vegan man! smile Makes everything easier.
Have you sat him through some films? Forks Over Knives, Vegucated, Earthlings?

Tau Fri 17-May-13 07:09:05

Hello! Just having a look here.
I'm vegan except that I may eat the occasional egg from someone's pet poultry. Partner is vegan. Teenage son has been vegetarian since birth and has chosen to be vegan at home three or four years ago, but he does use dairy outside the home.

Tau Fri 17-May-13 07:13:19

Reaction to MillyMollyMandy78 on the old thread.
Nope, you are not the only fat vegan! I'm overweight too, and my guess is that my recent purchase of MsCupcake's recipe book will not improve matters grin

LentilAsAnything Fri 17-May-13 10:53:00

Hi, Tau, great to have you here.
Enjoy those cakes! smile

SundaySimmons Fri 17-May-13 11:16:37

Hello, I'm actually a vegetarian but my teenage daughter is a vegan.

My mother has been a vegan for many years.

I'm just bookmarking my place here.

Thank you.

LentilAsAnything Sat 18-May-13 19:23:04

Hi and welcome, SS.

Are you wanting to go vegan yourself?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 19-May-13 01:22:24

Anyone know where I might find a cheaper copy of the Forks and Knives DVD. Just looked on Amazon and it's a bit pricey!

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 19-May-13 01:23:32

Oh, and by the way, I'm a vegetarian newcomer so still learning!

CecyHall Sun 19-May-13 09:04:17

Hohoho it's available on uk Netflix, which you can get a free months trial of if that's any good.

LentilAsAnything Sun 19-May-13 18:00:54

Yeah, I'd have said use Netflix too. You can also see Vegucated on there, and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

SundaySimmons Sun 19-May-13 18:20:30

Hi lentil, I am happy being a vegetarian but am looking to having meals that my vegan daughter and myself can both eat rather than cooking two separate ones all of the time.

My pet hate is animal products being found in things you wouldn't associate with meat. The new cadburys chocolate bar with oreo's for example, that isn't suitable for vegetarians!

LentilAsAnything Sun 19-May-13 23:33:49

It's not really a huge leap to ge rid of the dairy, eggs and honey from cooking. Well, I find it easy, anyway. Hopefully you will too.

Oreos are now vegan! Woo hoo!
I have nothing good to say about Cadburys!
But yes, manufacturers sneak meaty crap into all sorts of things. Tropicana juice, no longer vegan. Kellogg's Cornflakes, no longer vegan. Boo.
We are getting more and more into a wholefoods way of living, but it would be nice to be able to buy a juice withiut wondering what's in it!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 19-May-13 23:40:02

I have an ethical conundrum...

As a vegan it really wrong to keep a colony of worms in a wormery to compost my veg waste?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 19-May-13 23:42:02

How is Tropicana not vegan?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 19-May-13 23:42:23

Thanks Cecy & Lentil, will try Netflix.

CecyHall Mon 20-May-13 08:12:37

What's in tropicana?

CecyHall Mon 20-May-13 08:13:39

Oops, sorry, I should have carried on reading and then I wouldn't have asked the same thing!

LentilAsAnything Mon 20-May-13 23:08:42

Tropicana.

Fine, I don't really know about worms. My baseline is do least harm, exploit no animals.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 21-May-13 00:48:51

Ah, OK (Tropicana) I thought it was going to be something less obvious ...

LentilAsAnything Sat 01-Jun-13 09:45:35

Have you all seen this adorable clip? I had a dozen people post it on their Fb feeds: Little Luiz . Love that kid!

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 24-Jun-13 23:00:38

That's a gorgeous clip! I am interested in going vegan, but its a long term endeavour. Just done my food shop online and one of my planned lunches is a vegan BLT! I really hope it's good <crosses fingers>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now