Extra tutoring for 11+

(59 Posts)

Can someone tell me when kids start the extra tutoring for the 11+. A friend of ours, whose daughter is getting tutoring, has told us that the kids need it for the non-verbal reasoning as this format is completely unique to the 11+ and the kids won't be able to pass without it. She also said that DD will need to start tutoring at the beginning of year 5 as she will have to take the exam at the beginning of year 6 - is this right? It seems an awfully long time.

letseatgrandma Wed 07-Nov-12 13:35:49

Typo error earlier-My DS is a 5c now in most things, not a 5b...

piggywigwig Wed 07-Nov-12 18:34:13

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz
"I agree that it's possible to be at a lower NC level at the end of Y4, and to have a developmental leap in Y5, meaning that you are capable of gaining a place at a superselective GS in Y6.

I don't think that a DC that is lower than level 4a at the end of Y4, that makes expected two sub level progress in Y5, is likely to get a high enough mark to gain a place at the start of Y6.

At least, not without intensive tutoring."

May I be like letseatgrandma and politely disagree with you, without my sounding like “my Dad’s bigger than your Dad” grin

DD was Level 4c Maths, 4C Writing and 4B Reading at the end of Yr 4 (teacher assessments, not exam-based) She made no huge leaps in YR 5 and infact went backwards slightly, under some “interesting” teaching methods. It was only with my help that she got back on track.
Like letseatgrandma’s DS, she scored 355+ for a superselective in Colchester without being intensively tutored. I too would hate parents to think it can’t be done unless you have stellar SATS/NC levels at the end of Yr4 wink We should all remembers that SATS/NC levels only give a really loose idea for the needs of the 11+, as they cover/test entirely different things grin We were informed by the HT that the levels were, in some curricululm areas, based largely on the teacher's opinion, rather than a test result and that some teachers could allot marks that could be too high or too low! These NC level limitations are especially relevant for Essex.
DD’s now working at Level 6 throughout.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Wed 07-Nov-12 19:44:43

I concede!

Though my currently in Y4 DS2 is on lvl 3a/4c for Maths, I wouldn't have thought that he would be aiming for the GS. His English and VR will be nowhere near the level needed.

I guess it's just my experiences. And how far you are happy to push your DC's if they are unable or unwilling.

DS1 wanted to go to GS, and therefore happily did the extra work needed. I highly doubt I would say the same for DS2. I would rather work on important things like his handwriting than push him to tackle work he can't cope with.

11plusvocabularycards Tue 13-Nov-12 11:30:28

Is your child preparing for an entrance test? Would you like a resource to help make learning vocabulary fun?

To improve your child's verbal reasoning skills and achieve a higher 11+ score have a look at Farquhar's Vocabulary Flash Cards in the small business ads section on mumsnet.

This is my company! Hopefully because I have an agreed mumsnet link on this site this message should be acceptable.

califonia Mon 15-Apr-13 11:25:38

please can some one tell me good tutor for 11+ tuition in mew Madlen, Kingston or Mitchem area. I heard the tutor call onel or unel but I actually don''t know he or his right name. if any one know this tutor please let me know the contact number.
thanks

califonia Mon 15-Apr-13 11:26:29

please can some one tell me good tutor for 11+ tuition in mew Madlen, Kingston or Mitchem area. I heard the tutor call onel or unel but I actually don''t know he or his right name. if any one know this tutor please let me know the contact number.
thanks

My niece got into three of the top girls selective independents in Surrey from a satisfactory state primary, no tutoring, no practice at home whatsoever apart from a couple of VR tests from Smiths which she worked through with my brother, who also has no experience of them. She was the only child in her year to apply for independent schools, so no help was given at school either. She's now in upper 6th at one of the aforementioned schools.

In all honesty, as long as your child is bright enough, they don't need tutoring. And to be perfectly blunt, if they need a years' worth of tutoring to get into a selective school then it does beg the question as to whether it's the right school for them.

jckhgg Fri 19-Apr-13 19:00:48

My son passed his eleven plus, but could
not get into the grammer school, as oversubscribed, there were two hundred boys that passed and only one hundred and fifty places available. But he is ninth on the waiting lis. What chance has he got to get in, and do some children or parents refuse their place at the grammer school

*Jckhgg it honestly depends on the area you live in- how many selective, well thought of private schools are there?

I've known parents turn down grammar places for top private schools (in fact as a general rule parents will accept a private sector place over a state because the private places have to be accepted before the state ones are allocated), but never for comps. Parents only considering the state system are incredibly unlikely to turn down a grammar school place, only under exceptional circumstances- relocating etc. Otherwise they would be turning down a hard-sought after grammar place, most likely after months of tutoring to get it in the first place, and leaving their child with no place at all and likely to end up at an under-subscribed, failing school. Unless they were relocating/already had a private place accepted, they'd be mad to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now