Queen Ethelburga's Harrogate anyone?

(325 Posts)
TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 17:36:00

We just had another prospectus brought home from DD's state primary for QE. The idea is quite appealing but not within our budget. It seems very expensive but mentions possibility of discounts through various bursary's and scholarships. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the school to be recommended? (middle and high school age)

Blueberrypots Wed 29-Jan-14 18:14:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 18:38:58

What is the general criticism of QE? I tried searching for threads but none that I found are from recent years or just aren't that specific. Got to admit that it would be a big change for us and probably out of a real need to avoid local failing state schools. It's come to a straight choice between actually relocating to another town with reasonable schools or QE (or similar) with a significant daily commute for DD.

EdithWeston Wed 29-Jan-14 18:45:30

TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 18:59:00

Thanks Edith. Had just been wondering about that. The prospectus starts of dismissing the usual three ability bands but then it does tend to go on to splitting future prospects of pupils into academic and practical.

mummytime Wed 29-Jan-14 19:42:40

Are you thinking of your DD boarding? If so you might investigate state boarding schools. If she is talented or bright you could investigate bursaries at independent schools.

LauraBridges Wed 29-Jan-14 20:26:05

Why not try for Leeds Grammar ( private school) which has far and away has the best exam results in the area?

TheGervasuttiPillar Wed 29-Jan-14 20:55:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Faverolles Wed 29-Jan-14 20:58:32

Are you in Harrogate or York OP (or somewhere else?)

TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 21:57:55

Guess there's little control or supervision when it comes to the independent schools. Our location is Leeds/Harrogate area but not great local state schools, so having to consider either fee paying or a house move to Harrogate. Can you recommend any good state schools in Harrogate? We've been told that any are good so long as we just avoid the High school, so to avoid houses in the north of the area, which seems to leave us looking in the south-west of Harrogate and quite expensive.

TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 22:00:49

mt: Not looking at boarding although the extra curricular activities really do seem impressive at QE.

We are unlikely to attract any sort of bursary or scholarships and dd is currently at the higher end of achievement for her age group but not quite exceptional. So we are unsure about any selective entry requirements.

BettyBotter Wed 29-Jan-14 22:02:52

Blueberrypots Wed 29-Jan-14 22:06:53

Another vote here for leeds grammar, a fabulous school. Harrogate has great state schools but as you say you pay for house prices....

TessTing Wed 29-Jan-14 22:13:38

Betty: I am a long-term mn lurker and rarely post but have never been around to see an entire thread deleted. Amazed that QE is such a hot topic.

Will be sitting on the edge of my seat trying to put together a brilliantly cunning conspiracy theory... Or just wonder who's lawyer is bigger than who's. grin

umbrellahead Wed 29-Jan-14 22:40:04

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 29-Jan-14 22:42:56

umbrellahead Wed 29-Jan-14 23:11:14

umbrellahead Wed 29-Jan-14 23:12:41

Sorry, link fail. This is what I meant

Gunznroses Thu 30-Jan-14 06:56:07

BettyBotter Thu 30-Jan-14 10:51:03

Fantastic link that illustrates up QE's original approach to pastoral support. We are definitely not dissappointed (sic).

happygardening Thu 30-Jan-14 12:21:03

LauraBridges Thu 30-Jan-14 12:25:47

Yes, glad someone else supports me about Leeds Grammar (private school). Nowhere else near by compares to it and plenty of children commute from Harrogate to it. It's about 200th in the country for A level results which is good for the North.

TalkinPeace Thu 30-Jan-14 12:57:16

OP
You will not find many old threads on QE because their deletion rate is quite extraordinary.
I'm dahn saaf so not affected by them, but find their reaction to discussions about them highly amusing.

Are the state schools in the area so bad that ANY local would go there?

Blueberrypots Thu 30-Jan-14 14:08:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now