Who feels their own education was damaged by the holidays they had in term time?

(106 Posts)
lljkk Fri 17-Jan-14 05:37:18

Judging by the strength of opinion on MN, there must be loads of you.
Speak up!

I know what you mean about the last week of term, but don't you think that holiday companies and airlines would cotton on pretty quickly and put the prices up at those times if everyone started being allowed to take their dc out then?

TamerB Sun 26-Jan-14 15:50:54

For the children the end of terms are fun, and not a time they would want to be out.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 26-Jan-14 19:03:30

I've never taken my children out at the end of term, it's the best week!!!

I don't think it should be a blanket everyone has that week off but I do agree with other posters that the flexibility that seemed to be there would be good

TamerB Sun 26-Jan-14 19:14:28

Adults have a different view, to them the end of term is a waste of time- sometimes you need to look at things from the eyes of a child.

Hellosquiffy Tue 28-Jan-14 11:00:37

Myself and older brother had 100% attendance up until the later years of high school when our mother became poorly, but we couldn't afford holidays therefore never did holidays. Younger sister and brother however had some time off for what we saw as ridiculous reasons, again no holidays, and both now in their 20's can barely read and struggle with maths etc.

I know it's not the same but it does go to show that big chunks of missed learning can/does affect some DC.

LoofahVanDross Tue 28-Jan-14 11:41:10

We often had time out of school to go abroad. Especially as dad went on frequent business trips and if it was anywhere intresting we would all go along.l No problem with getting the time off school and all had a decent education and career.

Have done exactly the same with my dc. No problems thus far with gaining good A levels and GCSE's or Uni offers.

Mountain out of a mole hll all this fining and stuff.

The only thing I would say is we never expect the teacher to explain anything missed, nor would we ever ask for them to set work whilst we are away. That would be down to us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now