Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Assisted Conceptions (and all the bits in-between) Volume 11

(1001 Posts)
vallinnapod Mon 03-Dec-12 20:30:15

I really hope I haven't missed someone else starting this!

Hoophopes Sat 04-May-13 10:42:42

Hi I got thyroxine, aspirin, clexane and prednisone on nhs prescription, BUT only after I got to 8 weeks pregnant. The aspirin and clexane I got till six weeks after pregnancy but I had unfortunately had a stroke the year before so it was more for medical reasons than Ivf reasons. Dr will not prescribe the progesterone or intralipids at all and nothing before a bfp.

Hoophopes Sat 04-May-13 10:46:00

How frustrating for you I should have said before posted!! He should have said de would do one month only until he knew for certain!! To be honest the steroids, aspirin and thyroxine were pretty cheap but the clexane is not!! Do you have thrombophilia factors, if so when get a bfp and discharged to nhs care you may find the nhs will prescribe then. That is what happened to us.

Jewcy Sat 04-May-13 11:58:22

Motor, ask whatever you feel is important when it comes to your donor - it's your cash you're spending; your dreams of a baby. Don't be afraid. What I would say, however, is that age is a more accurate deciding factor than AMH/FSH when it comes to ascertaining the quality of a woman's eggs. Indeed, I have demanded that my donor is under 28 yrs, is a university graduate, has proven fertility (ie she already has kids or her donated eggs have gone on to produce live births) and is the same blood type as myself.
There really should not be any doubt as to the state of a donor's eggs and it's up to the clinic to provide you with proof of her fertility.

If parkrun involves actual running then count me out. I can do a fairly brisk walk from the couch to the toilet when I need a piss, but that's about it wink

Lucky, I'm sorry your drugs have been pulled, what a nightmare. I'm donor egg IVF abroad but my kindly GP is prescribing anything I need for free (but I won't need much). I have no experience of immunes, I'm sorry. I hope you get somewhere with all this.

MotorcycleMama Sat 04-May-13 18:09:46

I admire your assertiveness jewcy - you're right, though, this is costing lots of money, and it would be stupid not to get the best.
lucky I've just tried to find the relevant info about GPs funding medication for fertility treatment. Try searching on google for your local clinical commisioning group website, which should have the relevant info, or at least have a link to it. I think it differs according to where you live. What a pain, and totally out of order to suggest that they should stop in the middle of treatment - I'm sure you could contest it on the grounds that the agreement was made that they funded it, and they can't stop half way through. Good luck!
Hi ginger - I managed to miss you off my thanks list earlier - an oversight, sorry. Hope you are getting on ok.

gingernutdreams Sun 05-May-13 11:59:47

Motor I agree with Jewcy, ask as many questions as you need to, it is very important for you to feel confidence in your donor, so I say go for it. Thanks for name checking me too, by the way. smile I also admire your "parkruns" and well done for doing the 10k today, I hope you do well. I don't do running, but do like to keep fit, I work out about 5 times a week.

Lucky how did the scan go, and any news yet on date for EC? Such bad news about your GP stopping prescribing your drugs, I would be fuming too! Fight it if you can, like Motor says, maybe you can contest it due to their original agreement to fund it? Good luck!

AFM, I have received my protocol now for my FET cycle, which will start when AF appears. I have been advised to start taking Pregnacare Max already (which I have started from today) but they have also added 5mg Folic Acid and high doses of Vit B6 and B12 to my list of drugs to get. I don't know whether I am expected to take them with the Pregnacare or stop taking the Pregnacare once I start the other drugs/Vits... the literature they have sent me is a little confusing. I might ring the clinic to check. I am starting to get a bit nervous about all the drugs I will be on, particularly the steroids (prednisolone) but keep telling myself it will be well worth it if it works! Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies, this really needs to be the one that works!

DSB

MotorcycleMama Sun 05-May-13 13:22:54

Best of luck*ginger*! The drugs are just a temporary measure, so like the rest of this whole mallarkey, you'll grin and bear it for the end result. Fingers crossed that this is your turn to triumph!

Jewcy Sun 05-May-13 14:21:50

Ginger, that is marvellous news, I hope this is 'it' for you, love x

Guess what? I've had an email from the clinic in Brno and she has shortlisted two donors for us:

Donor A:
1) Blood group and Rh factor: 0+
2) Eyes: Brown
3) Hair: Brown
4) Height and Weight: 172 cm/59kg
5) Education: Student of Economics
6) Hobbies: History, Reading, In-line, Skiing, Swimming, , Theater, Cooking
7) Age: 24
She has donated once before – successfully.

Donor B:
1) Blood group and Rh factor: 0+
2) Eyes: Brown
3) Hair: Brown
4) Height and Weight: 170cm/60kg
5) Education: Student of Journalism
6) Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Movies, Dogs, Walking, Bike, Nature
7) Age: 23
She has donated once before – successfully.

Someone help me! They both seem ideal!

gingernutdreams Sun 05-May-13 15:42:37

Thanks Motor and Jewcy, I hope this is 'it' too.

Jewcy, that is great news re your two possible donors, and so much info on them! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. All the best of luck!

Pocket1 Sun 05-May-13 20:55:00

Ginger don't worry about the drugs cocktail. Although its all new to you personally, they are tried and tested and you'll be we'll monitored. If you have any queries at all just ask your clinic. I was in such a mix (evorel patches, proganova, gestone, clexane, prednisolone and cyclogest). grin

Jewcy, great news about having two donors to choose from. And how lovely and young they and their eggs are smile. Good luck with it.

Jewcy Sun 05-May-13 21:09:35

Thanks, Ginger and Pocket.

Pocket, may I ask how you decided upon your donor? Did you know her age, for example?

Pocket1 Mon 06-May-13 15:31:11

Jewcy, our first donor was found by our (uk) clinic and she matched our pre defined physical characteristics (a mix of mine and DP's). She was young too and importantly, she had proven fertility in that she already had a child. She was doing egg share, ie she would receive reduced/free treatment in exchange for her eggs. We had a fresh and frozen round with that donors eggs (1. bfp/mc 2. bfn). We decided to go again but the clinics donor wait list was a couple of months - which I was too impatient to wait for blush So I thought Id find our own donor - I posted on mn and fertility friends and had about 10 ladies come forward. Our second donor was one of these ladies, chosen based on physical characteristics again but also on the fact that she also had proven fertility/children. She and I are still in touch through the site we met on, albeit it anonymously other than we know a little bit about eachother. I let her know how each scan/checkup goes. Hope that helps. smile

Pocket1 Mon 06-May-13 15:31:50

Jewcy, yes I did know the age of both donors too. smile

gingernutdreams Mon 06-May-13 16:07:15

Thanks Pocket, I know I am just being a worrywart, I guess it is just the unknown.. I am now worrying that my AF will arrive before my drugs will show up, as I've not been able to pay for them/arrange for them to be despatched due to my protocol only turning up late on Friday, and it being bank holiday. I must calm down! I'm sure it will be fine, it is not due till Friday, if my cycle goes as it normally does.

I hope all you ladies are enjoying the sunny bank holiday.

xx

Jewcy Wed 08-May-13 09:40:51

Pocket, thank you for sharing. What an amazing journey! I need to remember this DEIVF is not a guarantee of a baby. How do I keep my head out of the clouds when I'm using beautifully young eggs from a donor who has managed to get others pregnant? Please offer some realism, I'm so afraid my hopes are soaring too much sad

gingernutdreams Wed 08-May-13 18:16:37

Why shouldn't your hopes soar Jewcy? Its the only thing that keeps us going through this whole journey. After all, our motto is Don't stop believing I say keep positive and try to believe this could really happen. I know it makes sense to be a little cautious, but I think on the whole it is a nicer experience if you try to hang on to those dreams.

Pocket1 Wed 08-May-13 18:31:29

What Ginger said grin

Jewcy Wed 08-May-13 19:03:16

Aaaaargh!!! Oh, okay then...grin

Luckystarfour Wed 08-May-13 21:29:33

I agree ladies - you have to have hope and believe this could be the one. My hubby and I have been through some tremendous lows on this bloody journey as many of you ladies have too, but I can honestly say that this cycle I have found the genuine belief yet again that this could be the one! (cycle 5).

I completely understand what you are saying Jewcy - we have donor sperm back up and are likely to need it. He has proven fertility and so far, there has been nothing major in my medical results to show I cant conceive/carry BUT there is always the horrid old percentage fact of the success rates in IVF per say! This is no different to natural pregnancy I keep telling myself, but then trying each month dosen't cost 15K odd!!!

Ginger I hope your drugs arrived on time and the stressing has diminished?

ASF Im on 10 if stimming, 13 lovely sized eggs all of equal size and my consultant is hoping for 2 more by Friday as some of the smaller ones have time to catch up and be useful still - 15 eggs would be spot on for us this cycle :-) Feeling positively great - a little naseus at times and a little tired near the end of the day, but generally pretty damned good.

Egg collection is looking like Monday all being well and a day 5 transfer on Sat 18th May.

I now recall how I am so much better with the stimming part and less great with the post transfer part, it becomes so bloody daunting when they are back on board and you are praying for no spotting and for them to just snuggle on in. Still Zita west will be whispering in my ear at that stage and I intend to keep a load of positive events over those 10 days all be it whilst resting more than I am now. Off to see Leona Lewis in concert tomorrow night, funnily enough my hubby seems to have abandoned me at last minute to see the football. So a girley night at the Royal Albert Hall with my mum should keep me smiling :-)

Oh finally wrote a grievance letter to my clinical commissioning group today and another letter to my MP! Keep you posted!

Don't stop believing ladies xx

MotorcycleMama Wed 08-May-13 21:45:58

Hey lucky well done for taking grievance out on CCG and enlisting MP support in the midst of everything else you are going through. Great news re egg production too! All looking good so far.
jewcy I have taught myself to never have too much hope, after years of disappointment. Occasionally I allow myself to dream and hope and imagine that maybe one day I really will have a baby. It's a fine balance! I'm very hopeful for you though.
AFM I'm just impatiently waiting for a donor. As far as I know, there is nothing I can do to speed the process up.
Waves to everybody else.

Pocket1 Thu 09-May-13 19:26:34

Go lucky go! x

gingernutdreams Thu 09-May-13 20:36:19

Go Lucky! 15 eggs sounds amazing! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope all goes well with your transfer on Mon.

Motor I hope you get your donor soon.

AFM, the drugs turned up today, but minus a sharps box, which I am going to need when I start on the Clexane, so that means I am going to have to call them back tomorrow to ask them to send one to me! Also, I went to my GP to pick up my prescription of Vits B6 and B12 only to be told that they receptionist had written down the wrong things and thought I wanted the Clexane and Prednisolone prescribing (which would be nice) but they don't prescribe them (which I knew) and so I trotted off home to fetch my private prescription and took it back to the Drs who then told me they could prescribe B6 but not B12?? I have no idea why, but they said I could have B12 injections?! I told them I will ring my clinic tomorrow and see what I could do. So I shall be asking if I can get my Vit B12 from CARE and just pay for them, I don't care as long as I can get them. They won't arrive by the time I start all the other drugs but I am on Pregnacare currently so I'm sure a couple of days on the lower dose of Vit B12 won't make much difference. Why can't this process be more straightforward! angry

Oh well, with me feeling irritated, grumpy and tired, I'm pretty sure AF is on it's way, so at least I can get started! grin

Waves to all.

DSB

Luckystarfour Fri 10-May-13 09:04:08

gingernut - I needed the same alternative folic acid according to care so I searched high and low for the alternative type of tablet which I found through a health food company on line. I have 3 pots at home, so I shall look on Monday night when I am back and let you know.

I would say however that I am on the Zita west combination now - Vitafem, Vitafem boost Vital DHA and these have worked just right! I have had my folic acid levels tested right the way through and my levels are fine! So it might be worth considering them? They are dead easy to order straight off of Amazon and could be with you tomorrow.

The key is have your folic acid levels checked throughout the cycle, I have mine done at least three times.

:-)

gingernutdreams Fri 10-May-13 21:26:34

Thanks Lucky but I am finally sorted! I got the Vit B12 straight from a pharmacy using my private prescription, and the Vit B from the GP which I have now picked up from another pharmacy. All the other meds and Folic Acid I got from Healthcare at home via CARE so just need AF to appear and then we are all systems go! Woo Hoo!! grin

Luckystarfour Sat 11-May-13 06:21:39

Great news ginger, would you mind telling me what the folic acid tablets are called - brand etc. Mine tested abit too low yesterday so we've increased it with an etc dose but I might need to swap to the alternative folate if it dosent level.

What combination/brand of vits are you taking with these?

AFM - 17 eggs yesterday and nice even sizes, egg collection moved to Tuesday to allow them all to reach their best size :-) so a weekend off for me :-))

Oh yes 2 hours on the phone to the CCG whilst on my intrallipd yesterday (no empathy shown by them of course!) BUT they have taken on my grievance and are investigating!! Ironically the lead of the CCG found it it to announce to me that she was just undertaking the final stages of adoption next week - after going through her own rounds of IVF and do you know despite having pesonal insight she still tried to justify that one fresh cycle (the lowest end of NICE guidelines - they say up to 3) was an acceptable local policy! What hope hey do women have if even she, with her own personal experience justifies the system! I could tell if won her own with my reasoning by the end of the call and felt proud to be standing up for women across the country.

Have a good weekend all xxx

Luckystarfour Sat 11-May-13 06:23:17

* could tell i won her over

This thread is not accepting new messages.