Assisted Conceptions (and all the bits in-between) Volume 11

(1001 Posts)
vallinnapod Mon 03-Dec-12 20:30:15

I really hope I haven't missed someone else starting this!

Luckystarfour Thu 11-Apr-13 08:45:50

Hi all

Just dropping by quickly to share aome advice with badger

As pocket said I too was told I didn't absorb the folc acid well in its normal form. So I spent a fortune buying this alternative folic acid, it was called something like ' folate .....' I showed it to my new consultant at HSFC and she made a point that my folic acid levels had never actually been checked trough a cycle. So on my last ICSI round I took the zita west vitafem, vital DHA and the vitafem boost. It was expensive - but my folic acid levels read normal all the way through! Do look up the alternative source though, the problem I found is what I would take with those if I took them as I'd still need all the other pre pregnancy vitamins which would still have folic acid in - then id be over dosing on folic acid which is just as bad! Infact worse!

So see what your consultant makes of the zita west combination I mention. Shop around online for these too as you can get them cheaper than the ones on her website.

I also used her relaxation tape and I can honestly say that these really helped me last cycle (although not to get pregnant) I decided to give Te Accupuncture a miss last cycle, is done it religiously for three cycles and it hasn't worked any mirracles. I found it good for relaxing because my ccupuncturist was also very intune with Ivf so I felt less alone, but I think in this horrid journey spending loads of extra money is also another worry - so just do what you feel works for you.

I too have had a cycle with clexane, prednisolone and baby asprin. It might also be worth asking about intrallipids, these help with immune issues and helps you become a very neutral and accepting environment to an embryo. Without immune drugs your system can be on 'High alert' and get rid of anything that intrudes!

I also had the scratch and a saline hystergram last week which again helps the perfect womb to have not such a perfect environment, the scratch makes the womb need to heal and not be on such high alert next month when you cycle. I find it pretty much pain free, the most important thing is to tell them to use a small spectulum - a that's the most uncomfortable bit if its too big!

I promise I have sen reading everyone's posts while nipping on and off here quickly.

Sorry to hear all those who have had scares and bleeds. I was hoping things would get easier once you got a positive result.

It's great to hear the success stories ladies, keep those updates coming.

Sorry to hear from those who are kept waiting. A tip there I used to find I was chomping at the bit to get on and hated the waits. However now (I m about to attempt cycle 5) I maximise the time in between and say to myself if this is my path, perhaps we were supposed to have more time to be selfish, enjoy life without kids for that bit longer and in a way prepare mentally for change. (Otherwise I would tell myself that life is bloody unfair and why am I being punished!!!!)

Hello to all the lovely new ladies too.

AFM
So true to my words I start stimming in 10 days (ish) time and so we are taking off to Spain (£39 bargain flight! Accupunutre alternative) to work in the sunshine for a bit in my lovely aunties villa.

We then come back and face yet another difficult cycle, defrosting my hubby's sperm - which on defrost was all dead last time :-( and if the same happens with this (which we has no reason to believe it will be any different) we finally take the plunge with the donor backup! It's been one hell of a month reaching this point to be ready for this cycle - but for now I am pleased we can go off for a week and know that no more plans need to be made.

DSB ladies - even after 4 files rounds I still think this might actually happen! Fingers crossed for more good news from others posting. XX

P.S - apologies for the spelling and rambling - typing these things on an iPhone is a nightmare!

gingernutdreams Thu 11-Apr-13 22:01:11

Thanks Pocket and Lucky I feel better now about the thought of the scratchy thing, and it does seem to make perfect sense and I really will do anything that may help, so why not. I certainly like the idea of treating myself after as recommended by Pocket, or having a Hotel Chocolat as suggested by Badger. Thanks also Pocket and Badger for your comments on acupuncture. I will possibly consider that although not sure where I would start searching for a good one..

Thanks Lastbox for your good wishes. I wonder why I think I have come across your name then? It was definitely this thread, although many volumes ago, but maybe it was a similar name, or maybe, like you said it was just one or two posts. Anyway, good luck to you to on your journey and hope all is sorted with the cyst soon.

Thanks Lucky for all your advice. Definitely food for thought. I have been told by my consultant though that I don't need the intralipids as my immunes (and NK cell levels) came back negative (on the whole). I was relieved in a way as this saves us money, but disappointed as I must admit I had kind of pinned my hopes on it being my miracle cure. Still, the cocktail of drugs I have been recommended to take should help, and maybe even do the trick! grin All the very best of luck with your 5th cycle. I really hope this is the one for you! Enjoy your trip to Spain before you start. I hope the sunshine does you good.

Hugs to all ladies.

DSB

Luckystarfour Fri 12-Apr-13 17:31:14

Had to post this and share my EXCITEMENT - my GP has just agreed to fund all of my immune drugs from word go this cycle, prednisolone, gestone and cyclogest - as they are all pregnancy sustaining drugs and are on their prescription list! He needs to check on the clexane as he needs someone to oversee this as he isn't trained to use it!

Whoop whoop thats a good 1K + in savings :-)

Do ask Ladies as I think they are being a little more lenient! It may be because I'm on round 5 he took pity on me and admittedly I did have a few tears!!!

Have a good weekend all

Hoophopes Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:34

That is fantastic. Cleaxane should be ok, after my bfp I had to have cleaned all the way through due to a previous stroke and gap funded that from week 8. I got all mine, apart from cyclogest from gp from week 8. Well done for asking!!

MotorcycleMama Sat 13-Apr-13 06:42:53

Morning all. Can I join you please? I am 41 and have been TTC for 2 years. Following lots of tests, I have been advised that donor eggs is my only realistic chance of conceiving. I have just registered with H&E and am in very early stages of the process. I have got a SIS and appt with the nurse on Weds to get me on the waiting list. Still lots of bloods to do. I would really welcome your support while I find my way around this maze!

Pocket1 Sun 14-Apr-13 21:13:52

Lucky that's great - i've still got a few bits if you want them. Such a shame to throw them away. But great new that your GP is so supportive.

Motorcyclemama Welcome to this completely brilliant thread, you'll find it a huge support whislt being among these very lovely ladies. I'm currently pregnant 28+2 having used donor eggs so i've been exacltly wehre you are - and i'm similar-ish age. Happy to help if you have any specific questions... Good luc on your journey and hope you get your BFP so very soon.

DSB
biscuit

MotorcycleMama Mon 15-Apr-13 09:40:46

Thanks pocket. It's amazing how much you learn just be reading these threads. Great news re your pregnancy - that is really encouraging and inspiring!

gingernutdreams Mon 15-Apr-13 17:45:43

Well done Lucky, that really is fab news re your GP prescribing your immune meds! I shall have to ask my GP if he will prescribe my prednisolone, and possibly even my clexane. All the very best if luck to you!

Welcome to MotorcycleMama and good luck to you with your donor egg cycle.

AFM, I am having a bad patch. I have just found out that the last of my very close friends is 12 weeks pregnant (naturally, none of them have had any fertility problems or been down the AC route). This means that I am now the last of my group not to have children. envy I don't know why I am fixating on that, but it makes me feel very alone, and I feel like I am drifting away from them more and more. I know I should be thrilled for her, and I also know it doesn't mean that I won't be able to join them again soon, if my next cycle were to work, but I feel really sad and fed up with having to be the one who always congratulates, rather than the one who is being congratulated. I know I sound incredibly selfish, and I really don't begrudge any of my friends children because I have struggled so much myself, I just feel like my time is never going to come. Sorry ladies, I know everyone has been so positive lately. I'm sure I'll be ok after a good cry.

Hugs to you all and apologies for bringing the mood down.

xx

Pocket1 Tue 16-Apr-13 18:37:58

Ginger sweetheart here's a hug envy. We've all been there and it's horrible. Don't feel bad about feeling sad about it - it's completely normal. Be kind to yourself, keep pushing your clinic/gp and don't stop believing x

MotorcycleMama Tue 16-Apr-13 20:20:47

Ginger I imagine we can all empathise with that - I know I certainly can. It feels wrong to feel sorry for yourself and not pleased for your pregnant friends, but the truth is it is very painful. I hope you will soon get the experience of being congratulated yourself. Stay positive, and take comfort from your friends here.

gingernutdreams Tue 16-Apr-13 22:14:43

Thanks to all you lovely ladies! I am feeling slightly better now, and am keeping myself busy planning my up and coming frozen embryo transfer. My AF has arrived today (probably adding to my emotional state) and I have booked my endometrial scratch on 2nd May and then we are straight into the FET cycle! Excited but also scared to death! Trying to work out how long from starting the meds to ET, as there is a wedding I am meant to be going to at the end of May but am not sure if it will clash with the ET and therefore may have to not go to the wedding. Still, my cycle is definitely my top priority so really not too worried if I cannot go, as this could be the start of something fantastic for me and DH and that trumps everything!

Waves to all.

And despite my wobble, I have not stopped believing.

xx

Luckystarfour Sat 20-Apr-13 00:20:21

Great to hear your spirits are back up gingernut dreams and do ask your dr about your immune drugs its worth a shot!

Welcome motorcycle mama - I'm sure you'll find all the lovely ladies ok here really supportive

Pocket - if still love to make use of your left over drugs :-) I any get the stimulating ones on the drs of course and he's slightly under prescribed my gestone so I'm looking forward to meeting up Hun.

AFM - well I'm here in sunny Spain :-) having had a very busy work week, but far better to be on my laptop in the sunshine than stuck at home in the wind/ wet!!! Now it's the weekend I have three days to be work free, , top up my tan and pray my period dosent start early otherwise ill have to catch an early flight home straight to the clinic !!! Not long now though until I'm cycling again - eeek! Gingernut it looks like we might be heading for similar dates - time to feel super positive :-)

MotorcycleMama Sat 20-Apr-13 00:23:21

Can any of you here tell me how long it took from identifying a suitable egg donor to embryo transfer? I've been given a 2 - 4 month wait for a suitable donor, but I don't know how long it takes after that.

Pocket1 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:35:16

Lucky great to hear from you. And lucky you in the Spanish sun - it's sunny here today too. Please let this be the start of a sunny summer. We deserve it. smile Get in touch when you're back and we can arrange the drugs drop off over a cuppa! It'll be lovely to see you grin

Motorcyclemama I think your timings sound about right as you and the donor will need various blood tests etc but 3 months is poss. I was matched with my donor mid July last year and had transfer mid October. And got my bfp by end October. Fx your cycle will be speedy and get you your bfp grin

Big sunshine wave to everyone. Hope you're all doing okay.

DSB
smilesmile

sunnyg Sun 21-Apr-13 09:47:50

ginger and lucky I am so glad to hear you are soon starting your new cycles. You are right lucky it's time to start gearing up to positive thinking. I know you both have a lot of mixed feelings, and trepidation but I honestly believe if you start in the right frame of mind it'll really help.

Ginger I think everything your consultant has suggested sounds pretty good. Obviously I'm not adverse to a wild concoction of drugs as this is part and parcel of being an ARGC girl. I'm still on clexane, and will probably be for some time. I've had the scratch, been on predislone till recently etc etc and obviously I'm a bit of a believer.

Mini - wow 29 weeks already! Time is flying my friend. When do you stop work?

Welcome to motorcyclemama and all of the new ladies. You'll find great support and kindness here.

AFM all going okay. Finally, finally seem to be feeling a bit better. 16 week consultant appointment on Tuesday. I can't believe it. And no more bleeding for some time now. Fingers crossed it all stays this week.

Don't stop believing!

oxoxo

Beginningofthejourney Sun 21-Apr-13 10:23:47

Wow sunny 16 weeks! Hopefully you'll start feeling some movements soon :-) I thought my pregnancy might drag a little as with IVF you obviously know almost from the second of conception but it seems to be going very quickly, I'm just over 28 weeks with a massive bump! Less than 8 weeks of work left :-)
Good luck everyone due to start new/first cycles x

Pocket1 Sun 21-Apr-13 19:42:37

Wow Sunny 16 weeks and Beginning 28 weeks.

I'm 29+2 - and have just 7 weeks left at work.

Everyone, plese dont stop believing

x

MiniH Mon 22-Apr-13 09:08:43

sunny so pleased the bleeding has stopped and you are feeling better. With two little monkeys in there I wonder if you will feel movement soon.

beginning and pocket not long now for all of us. I finish work 23 may but also have a week off before that so not too long now. Have started putting together hospital bag stuff so feels a bit surreal.

ginger it sounds like it is all go for you. Good luck with the scratch and hopefully the cycle timing will play ball with the wedding as a day out of fun and laughter can only be a positive thing to do whist cycling.

DSB

Xx

wellerbabe Tue 23-Apr-13 07:14:05

Hi ladies just popping in grin

Great to hear your bumps are progressing well sunny beginnings & pocket it is going really quickly! I am 24 weeks now and found out at last scan we are team blue smile. All good apart from a low placenta so no flying or sex allowed angry haha.

Good luck to all the other ladies on here and DSB

gingernutdreams Tue 23-Apr-13 22:03:03

Lucky it sounds like you are having a good time in Spain, and great news that you are about to start your cycle. It will be lovely to be cycle buddies and keep each other positive! Fingers crossed for us both! smile

Sunny so glad you are feeling better and the bleeding has now stopped. 16 weeks already! That is fab! Thanks for all your support, I hope the combination of the scratch thing and the medicated FET cycle hold the key for success for me and I get my little miracle.

Beginning, Mini, Pocket and Weller so glad to hear of your expanding bumps! Can't believe you are all nearly at the point of meeting your adorable little bundles! Hugs to you all!

AFM, only a week and two days till my endometrium scratch and then just have to wait for AF before I can start the FET cycle! So near, and yet it feels like a million miles away! Need to start getting into a positive mindset.

Altogether now... DSB

gingernutdreams Mon 29-Apr-13 18:02:12

Anyone out there?

Pocket1 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:44:33

I'm here! How are you feeling Ginger. Not long now to wait. Stay positive my dear. And allow yourself to believe that it will happen.

It'll be great if you and LuckyStar can be cycle buddies.

And we are all here for support too if you need us

I'm 30+3 now and have started buying things. Wasn't comfortable shopping for anything at all before 30 weeks - this AC journey makes you cautions I think.

Hope everyone else is well.

DSBsmile

Pocket1 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:48:03

Ps. Weller congrats on team blue, how lovely! Look after yourself and enjoy the time before you get too big - I'm getting tired now and I think I caught myself waddling at the weekend! x blush

vallinnapod Mon 29-Apr-13 21:05:56

Hey all you waddlers wink. Hope all is well with everyone.

Delurking as about to start our next FET. Well, back on the pill in a few weeks. Feeling very broody now...back on the acupuncture and desperately trying chinese herbs too. Really, really feel like this needs to work.

gingernutdreams Mon 29-Apr-13 21:55:37

Great to hear from you Pocket! Lovely to hear you now feel comfortable buying things and making preparations. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going for the endometrial scratch this Thurs and must admit I am feeling rather nervous about it, though trying to reassure myself it will be fine, and well worthwhile if it works!

Good to hear from you too Vall and good luck with your FET, it will be roughly the same time as me too, so we shall also probably be cycle buddies! smile
Be careful of Chinese herbs for fertility... my clinic (CARE) expressly advises against it, especially when going through a ivf cycle, as it actually seems to do more harm than good. I would check with your clinic for their thoughts. I hope the acupuncture helps relax and prepare you and you get your BFP this time. Hugs and baby dust coming your way. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, Lucky and myself.

DSB

This thread is not accepting new messages.