Right, someone convince me it's not long now...please!

(965 Posts)

I am 38+3 with DC2. Hoping for a VBAC after an EMCS for DC1 with who I got to 9cm's with.

I have had period cramps for over a week, two lots of plug coming away and last night lots of tight feelings high in my bump. The period like cramps are really painful and often are alongside sharp pains down below.

I have a week to go into labour, otherwise I am booked for a CS. I am so fed up of symptom spotting and being in this 'is it- is it not?' place. I went into labour at 38+4 with DC1.

So someone come along and tell me lie to me that todays the day. grin

artifarti Sun 15-Apr-12 11:51:31

Congratulations Fliss! Wow, what a big boy! Sorry it got a bit dramatic at the end by the sound of it but hurray for no induction.

11lb 7 fliss!!! Wow. Well done you. I hope you don't feel too terrible after such a big PPH, anaemia tiredness on top of newborn baby tiredness is brutal. Big congratulations on your baby boy, enjoy him now he's here :-)

Jess happy sweeping tomorrow, May it start your labour instantly.

lemele I think it is more the sleep deprivation making me crazy. And I am going more than a bit crazy... Crying at the drop of a hat, or even the mere suspicion a hat may be dropped... Both babies gaining weight being ebf, don't know when I'd find time to express. The mw yesterday when i told her how exhausted I feel and how bf all night long is killing me just said my babies are so windy and vomity that bottles/ formula will only make that worse and add in more chores with making bottles and probably not give me more sleep as the settling will be even more long drawn out and i should just persevere... :-( Oh the dilemma, but I'm not quite broken enough to quit yet though how long I can carry on I don't know

FlipFantasia Sun 15-Apr-12 15:03:11

Fliss huge congratulations grin - I am so glad you managed to avoid induction (clever body going into labour by itself!) and labour at home but wow, sounds like you had a time of it. That is an amazing weight - I bet he's totally gorgeous! Hope you're not feeling too wrecked after the PPH - enjoy all the newborn snuggles!

Dreaming & Lem I bow to your twin-ness. DD is 3 weeks today and I was so knackered yesterday morning that I was bawling (think it's a growth spurt). How you're managing with two is beyond me [respect]. I've had no problems with BFing this time (thank god, as it was a hellish couple of months with DS when establishing BFing), but the sheer relentlessness of it has me exhausted. The all night feeding...I have to keep reminding myself that This Too Shall Pass.

There's an amazing podcast series called The Longest Shortest Time, just about this phase. How intense the baby stage is, even though it really does fly by (even if we can't see it right now). Had me in tears does not take much to reduce me to tears at the mo.

HardCheese Sun 15-Apr-12 17:12:09

FLISS congratulations!!!!!! delighted you managed to avoid induction by doing it yourself - sorry to hear of things getting hairy an the PPH, but what a size! Well done! I bet he's a gorgeous wee (or not so wee?) armful!

Am also in awe of those coping with twins, and dreaming, I am also a weeping wreck from lack of sleep and inability to BF - saw BF counsellor today, and am trying an SNS to see if I can increase my supply, but it's terribly fiddly and time-consuming with nipple shields as well, AND still trying to express eight times a day... Everthing makes me cry, from TV programmes about the Titanic, to Easter music, to our little boy's nappy rash...

Oh the relief that its not just me being rubbish by weeping over how tired I am! I can't nap in the day- I try, and a rest is better than nothing, but sleep eludes me even though I'm so tired... Which leads to meltdowns in the night. My most embarrassing being last night when i had to go and wake dh from other room, sobbing about how it was so late, and neither baby would stop feeding, I had sore nipples, and i hadn't even lain down yet let alone slept and please just make the f*ing babies go to f*ing sleep.... Productive and mature, no?!

Gosh, sounds really time consuming and hard work hardcheese, you're doing amazingly to be persevering through all that, massive respect to you.

I'm going to Google that podcast soon flip, sounds like just what I need to help shake the feeling I'm Not Doing Very Well (dh or family looking after DD, I struggle at night & the day if constant feeding, and def in the evening , not been out with boys and DD yet, just her going out with daddy/ Gps and boys 11 days old today) . It's just so hard to find a time with two fed babies with clean nappies to be able to get out and stick to DDs nap time- which is essential or bedtime goes to hell in a handbasket... Must try harder...

And hardcheese, nappy rash is totally deserving of tears. DD had one for the first time ever when i left her with dh and went to pre-op and he didnt notice she'd done a poo... I cried over that and that wasn't post partum!!!

Fliss congratulations! Cant believe his weight you must have been pretty uncomfortable! Amazing!
Tears all the time here. DD2 has reflux which makes her scream uncontrollably for a lot of the time. Poor DD1 is having to listen to it. DH on business trip all week back next Saturday. I feel pretty desperate tbh. Am at my parents tonight which is a great help but I still have to deal with the poor baby screaming in pain. She's on Gaviscon but still suffering angry

Fliss, congratulations. What an amazing weight. Hope you are both doing well.

Hardcheese it's totally normal to feel like that, it's such a time of transition. If it helps I have weeped about BF too. I have stopped pumping now, as I just could not keep it up and look after DS as well as DD. I continue to keep thinking, what if I tried once more, gone back to the breastfeeding cafe once more etc, etc.

Dolly sorry to hear that DD2 has reflux. Do you think she has colic too? I found cutting out dairy in my diet helped DS when I was BF'ing. Hope things improve soon, sounds stressful.

dreaming and lem you are both doing amazingly.

Oh dolly, what a nightmare... It's so distressing when they're inconsolable and you just want to make them better.

Mine are both a bit refluxy, very unsettled til about 1am n need holding up for up to an hour after feeds. Don't know how I'll manage them once dh back at work...

Lemele Thu 19-Apr-12 14:46:59

Dreaming when does your dh go back to work? I am currently glad (usually hate it) that my hubby works evenings - I struggle in the 3 hours before ds1 goes to bed but then I can focus on the twins for a bit and attempt to settle them for bed which so far fails frequently lol. It also means he's around most daytimes, which has been eternally helpful, especially since he was back at work 3 days after I was home from hospital!

Oh my goodness lemele, back at work 3 days after you were home must have been hard. Dh is back at work on Monday. Dreading it as I'll have less help and I feel exhausted as it is. And we're still not up and out at DDs normal activities etc. She's going with a grandparent at the minute. Nights are no better here...

LittleStranger Thu 19-Apr-12 20:22:56

Congrats to all with their long awaited babies.
My mum bought me a subscription to Mother and Baby magazine and as I was flicking through today there was an article on overdue babies which had me shouting 'they're not overdue till 42 weeks!' at the page.

However Fliss has given me hope that if I ever have a third my body may yet manage to go into labour of it's own accord..,

That sounds hard Lemele, especially after three days.

I am feeling blue. I have stopped BF and feel dreadful about it. I had to stop pumping, I just couldn't cope with fitting it in with looking after both DC's etc.
Also, I felt so ill for a few weeks, I had a dreadful chest and ear infection for two weeks after DD was born.

But know that I feel better, I keep thinking about why I did not try harder to BF her. I could have contacted a lactation consultant etc, but I was just so scared of letting her latch again as my nipples were so wrecked and blackened.

I had PND with my DS and I am so worried this is going to kickstart it again.

Why I am so crap at all this birthing/feeding buisness?

Sorry for the miserable me,me,me post.

Oh midnight. It seems so important now, but when she's 21 you won't be worrying about how you fed her for the first 6 months/year of her life. If it was causing that much pain you made the right decision. It's not like your DD won't thrive on ff and she's had some bm. Isn't the first 3 days the most important anyway and she had that? I can't find time to pump at all, not surprised you didn't think it was sustainable.

I am.cheerful now, but find that in the evening my babies are both refluxy and unhappy, I can't calm them down, I get desperate and tearful as I'm so tired and everything seems dreadful...

Lemele Mon 23-Apr-12 22:38:54

Yes it was hard, and very tiring/stressful/tearful, but once I gave up the ebm things got so much better. Mostly because they'd been so bad before, it all felt a little bit amazing afterwards!! (For a little while!) The main thing was just being so achey and tired, and so, not feeling up to doing things with ds1. We've got into a few bad habits now but we're pretty good at kicking bad habits when we decide to so hopefully he won't complain too much... (He's a dear really, and very good most of the time). Eating in front of the telly etc etc...

I'm more or less managing to keep up expressing but it's - fun? - trying to breastfeed one baby, bottle feed the other, and express as well, all the while trying to keep toddler amused! Had to do that a few times now... To be honest it's mostly selfish reasons I'm still breastfeeding really - I just cant imagine not having milk on tap, i.e. if they were hungry and we ran out of formula that would seem very weird.. dunno why. Left boob still painful but seems I can do one feed a day without it hurting now, so shall just gradually increase that I guess. Still not sure I can face bf two at once though...

Oh joys twins are still not settled better go. Sorry for slight ramble of a post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now