Vacuum Bags

(9 Posts)
Sazhoopz Sat 23-Jul-16 12:51:21

I've seen loads of recommendations for vacuum packing duvets etc which I love, but just wondering how do you suck the air out when you are on site?

Really fancy the idea of taking a duvet instead of sleeping bags this time around

Ineedmorepatience Sat 23-Jul-16 19:03:17

I leave the last few inches open and lie on ours to get most of the air out on the way home. We have stuffed duvets into pillow cases for the kids many times too. The Dd's spread theirs over the back seat and sat on them once or twice too.

Thebookswereherfriends Sat 23-Jul-16 19:07:21

Apparently there are roll-up vacuum bags. I'm on a facebook page for bell tent camping and everyone seems to take duvets, that is how they do it. Asda sell them, I think. I need to look into it as I would much rather have a duvet!

Pcat Sun 24-Jul-16 12:25:01

We use one of the little air pumps from argos. It plugs into the car cigarette lighter and has a deflater setting which sucks the air out really effectively

CiderGlider Mon 01-Aug-16 17:52:19

We used vacuum bags this weekend and they were awesome. Saved so much space. We bought the ones with the travel pump and my hubby got them smaller than when he used the hoover!

Pengweng Tue 02-Aug-16 14:44:13

I have pack mate travel roll up bags that i use for clothes but not sure that they make them big enough to fit a duvet in.
My king size feather quilt does squash down into a large stuff sack though and doesn't really take up more room than a sleeping bag so you could always try that.

Sazhoopz Tue 02-Aug-16 21:06:39

Thanks all, we used them this weekend at Camp Bestival & it was amazing to sleep under the duvet.

I drained the battery on the pump charging my phone so me and the kids ended up sitting the bag withe valve undone to squeeze most of the air out

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 03-Aug-16 12:19:30

Yep, duvets are the way forward definitely. We have a large handpump which sucks as well as blows air, or you can use electric ones as people point out. Ours invariably develop a hole before we come home so we end up sitting on the duvet or just driving with no internal rear view.

Actually does anyone have a good recommendation for the toughest bags?

dannyboyle Thu 04-Aug-16 22:32:54

So far pack mate are the best ones I have found. There may be better ones however!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now