How to stay awake during night feeds - part 5

(1000 Posts)
MrsNPattz Mon 03-Dec-12 21:19:53

Here we are grin

goat thanks, I could but am worried about putting the car seat in!

We are putting the Moses basket in the big cot tonight to start getting him used to it as he will be too big for the basket soon!!

Bed time not going well so far.......

First feed of the night-4 hours after last one. Eek FX....
That sounds awful huffle how frightening. Is LO any better? How are you? I'd be a mess. It's so difficult when they're ill, I just don't know how I'd cope.

All this chocolate talk is making me crave mint aero debates waking DH

Ameybee Tue 04-Dec-12 02:19:43

Ah heff poor DD and poor you! God I know exactly how you feel wanting to be there for both of them but it being impossible. When my DD was last ill with vomiting bug all I wanted to do was curl up with her but I needed to be upstairs with DS who was cluster feeding!

We've just only gone 2 hours - forgot how tiring that is, felt like I'd just got into a deep sleep - again.

susie a day off sounds amazing! I could so do with that but baby bee refuses bottles of expressed milk so don't think it will happen!

Hoping for smooth transfer! X

MrsNPattz Tue 04-Dec-12 02:37:34

First feed here, 3 hours so better than last night but still zzzzzzzzzz the gro egg was blue when I woke up too shock

heff oh gosh you are not having an easy time are you - sending my sympathies and hoping DD1 feels better in the morning!

Waves to tea and smicha - I often think of those who haven't posted for a while, nervous, evil, mummyv! Hope you are all getting lots of sleep grin

MrsNPattz Tue 04-Dec-12 03:12:43

Why is it now taking at least an hour at night feeds to settle him again confused

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 04-Dec-12 03:39:46

heff you poor thing, and poor little DD... Sending many recovery vibes her way! What a horrible experience for you both.

Hooray for a longer stretch funch you won't know yourself!

Kid went a bit bonkers at this feed, he was so hungry. Has now calmed down enough to lie quietly without trying to rip my gullet out with those lovely little fingernails of his confused hope we can go through till morning now.

Smallgreenone Tue 04-Dec-12 04:15:30

heff that sounds rotten. Hope your dd is better very soon.
Glad the tilted cot is helping funch
We're on two hourly feeds now so an improvement on last night hourly but still rubbish. Why does it say in all the books that by 3 months babies can sleep for longer stretches at night when baby small has got worse confused clearly he's not read the book!
I had a salted caramel latte again today think I might need another one today!! They also do salted caramel profiteroles in m and a, wonder if they are any good...........

NervousAt20 Tue 04-Dec-12 05:01:23

Marking place smile I thought I'd lost you ladies I'm offline for a few days and come back to a full thread but here I am lol

I haven't caught up but skimmed and saw there's a few poorly babies sad hope their all okay and so are mummies

We're still only getting 2 hours here

missingmymarbles Tue 04-Dec-12 05:18:25

Hope things are better in the Heff household tomorrow. Your poor DD. Poor you; it's horrible when they're poorly and hired when you feel so divided too[fsad[

Hi Nervous.

Good work, Baby Funch and baby Elvis grin

Small, Salted caramel anything is yummy, although I don't like coffee, would quite like some salted caramel nuts mmmmm

Amazingly, after shinanigans last feed. We've just done just over 4 hours and a smooth transfer. Hopefully well get to a reasonable hour now and this is a sign of things to come.

StuntNun Tue 04-Dec-12 05:23:01

Feeds at 10:30, 1:45 and 4:45. Looking good for some sleep at least although I could do with a little bit more!

NervousAt20 Tue 04-Dec-12 06:09:27

I thought we were going to have a good night BabyN went 4 hours then 2 hours then 1 hour and 1 hour <stingy eyes emotion>

Susieloo Tue 04-Dec-12 06:48:48

heff what a nightmare for you, hope dd1 feels better soon and manages to keep some food down, what a worry for you.

Now unless I am going completely mad, babyloo has just slept from half twelve until now- I don't think there has been a feed in between, he was stirring at two but I decided he wasn't hungry because it was only two hours since last feed so I put his projector on and he must have nodded back off. He's happily talking to himself in his cot, this is a very definite first and apart from him being involved in a minor car crash I am not sure what I have done differently!! he definitely wasn't injured, my mum and dads neighbor is a paramedic and he checked us both over. Perhaps he realized mummy needed some sleep after a traumatic day!!

Coffee timesmile

Susieloo Tue 04-Dec-12 06:56:36

small I love salted caramel anything, nigella does a really easy salted caramel sauce that goes really well over ice cream or eaten straight from the saucepan

MrsNPattz Tue 04-Dec-12 07:59:33

Well he just went 4 hours which is much better than last night! However hubby had to wake me before he went to work to put my eye drops in so my 4 hours was disrupted! Never mind, still an improvement.

Waves to nervous

I'm not sure if this is up for the day, hope not! We have students coming to talk to us today, our drs surgery phoned a few weeks ago and were looking for woman who had just had a baby to talk to first year medical students about how life has changed - hope they have all day!! Haha

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 04-Dec-12 08:10:33

I could get used to this, having bottles magically appear from the deepest recesses of the kitchen, having it handed to me along with a baby, feeding, then dropping gently back to sleep... Only downside is that the snacks remain resolutely in the deepest recesses. Although maybe that is a good thing!

mrsn your last bit really made me laugh!

heff how is your DD today?

susie you have a considerate baby at the mo! Hope it lasts!

I want salted caramel now...

Kid has found his feet! Very cute.

Baby elvis has decided to progress from two to four hourly wakings shock amazing how much better i feel on four hours sleep and amazing how little sleep I actually need! Long may it last but I am very hmm of you susie. Did u manage to sleep too? I'd have been awake checking LO was still breathing lol!
DD still sleeping but I'm awake so may get up.....

Ameybee Tue 04-Dec-12 10:11:41

OMG just had grocery shop delivered - DS was in his tilt back chair in kitchen and the delivery man banged his leg with a crate! He cried but only briefly but I am all stressed and upset- I should've warned them he was behind doorway. I feel terrible sad there's only a tiny red mark on his leg but its a horrid feeling. X

MrsNPattz Tue 04-Dec-12 11:16:31

amey I have had one of those moments today - I was nibbling his nails because they are too long and dirty and I have ripped one too short sad his little finger is red and his nail looks sore sad feel horrendously guilty!

The students have just left - they were really nice and it just felt like chatting rather than me being asked questions. Little man was so good, I think they must have left with the wrong impression of motherhood lol

susie so glad you had a good night finally!

blonderthanred Tue 04-Dec-12 11:52:00

Hello, have been awol as have just been too exhausted to update!

DS still hasn't pooed since Thursday and wasn't sleeping more than 1/2 an hr at a time before screaming (and only on us) but seems much calmer now so maybe he is just using everything he is eating! Last night he slept 12-3 and 5-7 in cot so I feel much better. GP is happy that all sounds & feels well in his tummy, gave me a prescription for suppositories but said not to use them unless he is in obvious discomfort. She thought maybe the Infacol had slowed him down so we have stopped that. Still a bit worried but just going to concentrate on massaging out any trapped wind and keep feeding. If he hasn't gained weight at tomorrow's appt then might have to rethink.

Sounds like there has been progress for some but difficulties for others. Susie the car crash must have been scary but nice 'side effect' of a long sleep - don't think anyone should try it as a technique though.

heff and funch sorry you've had such difficult times but hope both your LOs are on the mend now. mrsn why do babies always make out to the rest of the world that they are perfectly behaved, snoozing angels?!

Waves to amey, goat, Elvis, Stunt and others...

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 04-Dec-12 12:14:31

mrsn that's called the cuteness reflex - they do it every time!

<waves back at blonder>

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Tue 04-Dec-12 12:50:19

Well our night wasn't as bad as I feared, once DD1 was upstairs she fell asleep straight away and didn't wake up again until 6 when she had a cup of water and slept again until half 10. I crept up there with babylump at 7 so DH could leave and get to work so we got to have a lovely snuggly few hours until they both woke up. She's had another cup of water and two bites of banana and so far its all stayed down so I'm feeling really relieved.

funch that's so kind of you thank you smile but I'd hate for baby funch to catch DDs virus so we're going to stay in quarantine until she's totally back to normal. To top it off babylump is sounding very chesty and isn't quite herself so we're going to the docs later for her. Then I am officially banning the pair of them from getting even remotely ill ever again, I can't cope with it!

Great to hear of the good sleeps susie and elvis long may it continue smile

Ah well done kid on finding his feet! That opens up so many new foot and toe chewing opportunities!

Oh no amey that must have been a horrible feeling, at least your DS is ok and has probably forgotten all about it by now. There's always something to feel guilty/stressed/upset about with DCs though isn't there sad

funchum8am Tue 04-Dec-12 14:54:08

welcome back blonder

After a good first stretch last night we fed at 2 then I kept her upright but asleep on me til 3, thinking the tilted cot had sorted things....HOW NAIVE!! she slept for precisely 24 mins sad. So then we were up another hour feeding and winding and she was wide awake so at half four DH took her downstairs for the usual bouncy chair nap and failed attempt at bottle feeding. when they came up again at 6ish I suggested he bring the bottle and try giving her it in bed, and she guzzled the lot shock confused

so things are better but not fixed. it is sooo annoying as I suspect she'd be a great sleeper without the reflux! but then I wouldn't have met all you lovely ladiessmile

heff how are things?

MrsNPattz Tue 04-Dec-12 15:34:20

Has anyone been watching one born every minute - what happened next - on more 4? I'm sat balling my eyes out at the little boy who got Meningitis at 2 weeks old causing him to have Cerebral Palsy! Cuddling my little fella so tight cause it breaks my heart thinking of anything happening to him! Must be the tiredness lol

blonderthanred Tue 04-Dec-12 15:43:29

mrsn I am not watching it but know exactly what you mean, I sobbed at the end of the Barnardo's ad yesterday which ends with the little boy saying he is scared, just clutched at DS and told him he would never feel like that. It is so overwhelming isn't it?

funch sorry things aren't quite fixed but hopefully you can find things that make life easier over time.

We had a massive poosplosion mid-bf workshop, quite relieved. Two more since then! Hope this leads to good sleeping tonight...

Ameybee Tue 04-Dec-12 19:00:39

How weird mrsn I watched that at weekend and sobbed my heart out! Same name as my little boy too!That couple were amazing tho, it could've torn them apart but they were so strong! I cry at everything at mo! Awful cot death storyline on home & away this week - cue more sobbing! Being a mummy just makes u so emotional!
Baby bee has been very good with naps today - hoping its not a one off! Although getting him to sleep when DD is around in day is a mare - she's so noisy bless her grin! Xx

Ameybee Tue 04-Dec-12 19:23:07

And blonder you are right it is so overwhelming! You just know you'd fight to the death to protect your babies! Going to hug my too extra hard tonight, I'm very lucky xxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.