Illogical reasons for tantrums in toddlers. Share with me please.

(253 Posts)
Spottyotter Sun 02-Aug-09 19:51:32

Out for a walk today. My ds threw an absolute wobbler because the flock of seagulls on the seafront had the sheer audacity to fly off when he chased them.

He then proceeded to fill the front of his sandals with sand, looked up at me as if I was responsible for this horrendous crime screaming at the top of his voice "Mummygetitout'! Mummygetitout!"

was not sure wether to piss myself with laughter or be embarrased.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 02-Aug-09 20:55:40

Other way round here. Ds goes through phases of being totally freaked out - to the point of sobbing hysteria - by the Ninky Nonk ( the train one) and then loves the whole show for ages.

He also used to freak out at the first few notes of the theme tune - the out of tune piano, leading me to believe (in a fit of uncharacteristic PFB-ness) that he had perfect pitch! hmmblush

earlyriser Sun 02-Aug-09 20:56:55

oh thank you, i've had a such a rotten couple of days with my endlessly tantruming ds (2)
because i took the hose away from him as he was soaking dd,
because he wanted custard for breakfast,
because i put the shreddies IN his bowl instead of at the side of his bowl
and on and on and on!
that i've been losing the will to live, this has cheered me up no end and reassured me that he is, after all, normal (dd never went throuh this phase!)

earlyriser Sun 02-Aug-09 20:56:57

oh thank you, i've had a such a rotten couple of days with my endlessly tantruming ds (2)
because i took the hose away from him as he was soaking dd,
because he wanted custard for breakfast,
because i put the shreddies IN his bowl instead of at the side of his bowl
and on and on and on!
that i've been losing the will to live, this has cheered me up no end and reassured me that he is, after all, normal (dd never went throuh this phase!)

earlyriser Sun 02-Aug-09 20:58:16

oops sorry, but it really has been bad enough to warrant 2 posts grin

ellagrace Sun 02-Aug-09 20:58:27

its so reassuring that i'm not the only one living with an emotionally unhinged dictator!

short sleeves used to infuriate ds too - furiously trying to pull them down and getting hysterical at their resistance - seems to have gotten over that one.

i'm constantly asked 'which one you like mummy' (for example a page of cars) only to be shouted down 'no! you like that one!' ??

he has a massive objection to fifi and the flowertots and gets very angry when it comes on tv, shouts no not fifi, can't want fifi at the top of his lungs and can actually cry red hot tears of rage

would be good to have a toddlers 'points of view' show where you sent in footage of our dc's reactions to kids tv

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 02-Aug-09 20:58:54

Oh, and lest we forget:

Morning in the Urban house, "No go to nursery, say bye bye nursery, nooooooooo, no nursery, I love you, WAAAAAAAAH!"

Evening in the Urban house, "I'm a go to nursery, say hello nursery." Repeat, ad nauseum.

ellagrace Sun 02-Aug-09 21:00:25

bless you earlyriser - if i'm honest the main one at the minute is because i don't seem to agree with his theory that it is far nicer to do poo in your pants or on mummy's carpet than on the potty and that has had me losing the will to live and it was a post here at mumsnet that revived me a bit

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 02-Aug-09 21:01:39

And if I ignore the tantrum he kicks me/pokes me/scratches me and shouts, "I'm crying! I'm really sad!" which makes my eyes water with laughter. And pain.

He is normal, isn't he? <<pleads>>

seeker Sun 02-Aug-09 21:02:04

Because I reversed into a parking space she wanted to go into frontwards.

Because I didn't understand that when she said she wanted dinner at breakfast time what she meant was that she wanted pasta for breakfast.

HensMum Sun 02-Aug-09 21:03:10

Recently, DS had a tantrum because he wanted to drive.

Because he saw the moon and wanted to hold it - "have it, mummy. Have it please. HAVE IT! HAVE IT!"

Because he wanted to try the "water" that daddy had (DP won a bottle of schapps in a tombola)

dinkystinky Sun 02-Aug-09 21:06:05

Ellagrace - DS1 has the mother of all tantrums if we try to put a shirt on him - tshirts are fine, long sleeve tops he will tolerate but a shirt with buttons incites a "noooooooooooooooooooo mummy, no no no" thrashing storm of toddler rage. Should be fun next weekend as DS2 has his rice ceremony (kind of like a hindu christening) and my mum has bought the boy matching shirts and trousers to wear.

TAFKA - yes, your little one is totally normal. If I ignore DS1's tantrums, he will stop and say "mummy, you have to listen to me" and then restart his tantrum again...

earlyriser Sun 02-Aug-09 21:06:38

Reminds me of another, ds had a complete meltdown when wearing his thomas pants (he is nowhere near being potty trained but big sis (4) persuaded him he wanted to wear his thomas pants)then he did a poo in them and he was soooooo upset.

meep Sun 02-Aug-09 21:07:33

dd1: me want juice mummy, peease
me: pink juice?
dd1: no pink juice, want apple juice, monkey, sob
me: here's pink juice in your cup
dd1: no big girls cup, nooooo, wahhhh, monkey juice
me: okay, mummy will drink your juice <glug>
dd1: nooooooooo, mine, my juice
dd1 runs away clutching cup of juice, drinking furiously and sobbing

repeat every day since she had a smoothie that came in a carton with a monkey on it - damn grandparents grin

dinkystinky Sun 02-Aug-09 21:08:31

Oh yes DS1 often has screaming fits about not being able to poo when he says he wants to...

Rosebud05 Sun 02-Aug-09 21:16:32

DD: "I get some toys for baby B (8 week old younger brother). Wait there! I'll be back in a minute!"

Skips merrily off to the toy cupboard, then has a complete meltdown as she realises that the only toys are hers ("mine!") and that this would take sibling bonding a bit far.

I view it as work in progress........

ellagrace Sun 02-Aug-09 21:23:59

just remembered there is a seriously twisted cat torturing my son currently.

walks slowly into the garden, then waits, sometimes even walks towards my son, lets him get up and start running towards her then i swear laughs and runs off.

all MY fault of course - where my cat?? need to want to touch her! mummy make my cat come back!

i can't stop laughing - the cat gives me knowing looks everytime as if to say, watch this.

MmeLindt Sun 02-Aug-09 21:25:07

DS used to screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam for ages when his banana broke in half as he was eating it.

Same with biscuits.

Or if I cut up the toast wrong.

Not reversing into the parking space (so ensuring a quick getaway) caused a massive tantrum.

He has grown out of them now. Almost.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 02-Aug-09 21:28:45

MmeLindt - when did he grow out of it? Ds drives me MAD by refusing to eat the rest of his banana if it breaks!

seeker Sun 02-Aug-09 21:29:52

I had forgotten the "nothing must match" tantrums. She still doesn't like to wear pyjama bottoms and tops that match and she's 13!

Doesn't throw tantrums about it any more though!

MmeLindt Sun 02-Aug-09 21:36:30

UD
Weeeellll, he is 5yo now and still throws the occasional tantrum if he does not get what he wants, but the irrational tantrums stopped once he was old enough to be reasoned with. I can't say exactly when that was but I don't remember him doing it when he started kindergarten at 3yo.

He still sometimes complains if I make his sandwich "wrong" but doesn't throw a massive wobbly, he just mutters and sulks for a moment or two.

Distraction works well. Sometimes I would pull a face and say, "I am grumpier than you are, I can be reaaaalllly grumpy". He was so surprised that he started laughing.

Yes bananas are the bane of our lives as well. They apparently turn to poison if bruised in any way or indeed broken. hmm

Wonderstuff Sun 02-Aug-09 21:41:16

DD gets upset if the Tombiliboos don't brush their teeth!

Today we wouldn't let her take her teddy case to the beach.
I tried to rinse shampoo out of her hair.
Then I wouldn't let her put more shampoo in her hair!

lilacpink Sun 02-Aug-09 21:45:29

Because DD (3) wanted Daddy's attention rather than let him enjoy tea, tried crying and destracting him, then went to his plate (she'd eaten earlier) to grab his food. The irony here was that he was eating vindaloo and she'd grabbed a poppadom load before we could stop her. The shock ended the tantrum (she was fine after lots of water) grin

Stinkyfeet Sun 02-Aug-09 21:46:07

Ds1 once had a massive tantrum whilst watching the Fimbles, when he discovered that he didn't have a topknot!hmm

BoffinMum Sun 02-Aug-09 22:13:23

I will forever be grateful to the fully uniformed lady traffic warden who came up to my two-year-old DD while she was prostrate and yelling her head off in the supermarket, and told her to get up off the floor immediately and behave nicely for her mummy, which she meekly did. Said traffic warden then winked at me and said "It's the uniform - works every time. I know what it's like. I've got four of the blighters". It made my day. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now