Illogical reasons for tantrums in toddlers. Share with me please.

(253 Posts)
Spottyotter Sun 02-Aug-09 19:51:32

Out for a walk today. My ds threw an absolute wobbler because the flock of seagulls on the seafront had the sheer audacity to fly off when he chased them.

He then proceeded to fill the front of his sandals with sand, looked up at me as if I was responsible for this horrendous crime screaming at the top of his voice "Mummygetitout'! Mummygetitout!"

was not sure wether to piss myself with laughter or be embarrased.

toastandslippers Sat 31-Jul-10 08:28:37

My DD (then about 3) was obsessed with Angelina Ballerina.

Me: Would you like to go to ballet classes, darling?
DD: Yes, mummy, dance ballet
Me: It would be fun, wouldn't it. You could wear a lovely dress like Angelina.
DD: Yes, mummy. Dress. Angelina
Me: And you could dance with other little girls and boys.
DD: No. No girls and boys. Mice. Angelina mice.
Me: I don't think they'll have many mice in the class. They could get hurt.
DD: Nooooo. No hurt mice. (starts to sob)
Me: Well, the mice are so small and they might get trodden on.
DD: Nooo. No hurt mice (hysterical edge building). Not small. Like me (indicates mice that would be same head height as her). No boys and girls. Mice. Mice. Mice (shrieking now)

This one ran and ran. In the end just had to say we'd have to wait and see what was at the ballet class when she got there - girls and boys her age, or GIGANTIC mice....

Maria2007loveshersleep Tue 10-Aug-10 22:22:39

Thought I'd revive this thread because I love it grin.

Latest tantrum. DS (age 2) was about to go out for walk with DP. This was 2 days ago, on a clear skied, sunny, warm day in august! DP got DS's shoes.

DS: No! No shoes! Boots! BOOTS!!!! AAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Frantically, DP & I unearthed his wellies from wherever they were hiding (since it's august we don't have much need for them). DP thought that they could go.

DP: DS, come on lets go now for walk.
DS: NO! 'mbrella!!! 'MBRELLA!!!!'

So DP & I got the umbrella & gave it to him. He then insisted to open it (OPEN IT!!! OPEN IT!!! ARRRRRGGGH...). DP finally left, on this clear sunny warm day on an august morning, with DS happily holding his hand, wearing his blue wellies & holding tight onto a huge black open umbrella. Wonder what neighbours thought seeing them?!

walkinZombie Thu 13-Jan-11 16:15:30

haha this made me laugh,

my 15 month old always wants to be help , but he is not light as soon as I put him down the squeals start, or if I drink something he wants

AlaskaHQ Fri 14-Jan-11 12:30:03

DS (then aged 2) wanted to sit on the small chair (toddler sized chair) at the big person table (our dining table, adult size) AND be able to reach his plate of food.

Would not accept it wasn't physically possible.

Tantrum was quite spectacular

Bumpsadaisie Fri 14-Jan-11 12:43:42

Because she can't both stand inside the potty and sit on it at the same time .... It's the end of the world, it really is. Her attempts to manage both simultaneously are very precarious (and funny!)

mcv1 Fri 14-Jan-11 20:50:07

PMSL at these stories have encountered many of these with my son but laughing so much i cant think of any off hand.

NatzCNL Fri 14-Jan-11 21:36:09

This thread is hilarious! I have tears streaming down my face. Have been having an exeptionally bad week with DD2. Reasons for todays tantrums:
1 Had to take off night dress
2 Had to go downstairs
3 Had a white bowl for breakfast
4 Had to eat breakfast
5 Didnt want to take Upsy Daisy costume off for the walk to DD1 school <went to drop DD1 off whilst still dressed as Upsy Daisy>
6 Wanted to to stay and play at DD1 school
7 Didn't want to come indoors once we returned home
8 Didnt want to take off Wellies
9 Didn't want to take off coat
You see where Im going with this?
Been a really bad day today!
Funniest one she kicks off about is her name, she choses on a daily and sometimes hourly basis as to what you have to call her, either first name, middle or whole name. I called her cheeky today - it did NOT go down well!!!!

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sat 22-Jan-11 17:17:18

Thought I'd revive this thread - as sure there have been some recent tantrums grin

Because we turned right and her favourite direction is left

Because she didn't get to go upstairs first

And this one beats the lot, because nursery tried to give her cake for pudding. She doesn't like cake.

belindarose Sat 22-Jan-11 17:36:27

Just recovering from a great one. I've washed the rug from DD's bedroom (17mo). She 'helped' wash it and 'helped' hang it out. I've just brought it back in and all hell broke loose! Too damp to put it back in her room, but I'm not allowed to put it anywhere else. Over the playpen? 'No, mine!' Over the bannister? 'no, mine!' Folded up and put in a corner till bedtime/ she forgets about it? 'no, mine, mine my mat!'. All of this accompanied by throwing herself onto the floor every time she looked at the bloomin thing.

I've bribed her away with Peppa Pig.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 23-Jan-11 18:10:03

haha at doesn't like cak! grin

QODthesurrogacytrendsetter Sun 23-Jan-11 18:12:30

... because she doesn't like the man on the moon. Yeah thanks Nanny

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 23-Jan-11 19:26:21

*cake lol

RamonaFlowers Sun 23-Jan-11 19:42:54

Today.....because I praised DS for putting on his own shoes from start to finish all by himself, zips and everything. I said Wow DS, that if fantastic. What a big boy you are. Go and see Daddy and tell him I said you could have a chocolate butteon for being such a big boy.

Cue major sulk face. Then red face, then: "I am NOT good and I am NOT a big boy" beat..."waaahhhhhhhhhhhh"

Alright son, calm down. It's only positive reinforcement. Sheesh. grin

RamonaFlowers Sun 23-Jan-11 19:44:39

oh bloody hell. Million typos blush

flamingoagogo Sun 13-Feb-11 13:50:24

PMPL at this thread! My DD (2.5) has embraced the terrible 2s in a way I could never have imagined. We have trantrums at least hourly and the subject matter is widely varied and increasingly random.
The other day we were watching tv when a charity advert for starving children came on,
DD: Me want that baby
Me:what?!
DD: me want baby mummy, me want BABY, MINE!!Thats MY baby!

when I tried to explain you can't buy 3rd world children...well, you all know how it goes

notcitrus Sun 13-Feb-11 14:53:27

Clearly nursery aren't just being polite when they say I have a normal two-year-old.

Ds's main trigger atm is seeing a train station if we aren't getting on a train. WANT TRAIN!! Sadly this includes us having just got off a train, and explanations of 'we've been on 4 trains today. Now we're going home to see Daddy and watch Chuggington' don't work.
For extra amusement, his nursery is 100 yards beyond the station...

He also is adamant that socks must be either on or off. Ditto shoes. So in the mornings I ask if he wants socks+shoes on every 30 seconds or so and with luck we'll agree on them being on by the time we have to leave.
Other meltdowns over wanting particular pattern of nappy (a peril of washables I wasn't aware of - I'm going to have to get some really funky pants if he's ever going to get potty trained), and wanting a [insert foodstuff] IN PUSHCHAIR rather than wait until we get home.

Which would make sense but then we get home and he's given a flapjack and he then puts it in the pushchair and demands another one.

RalphGnu Fri 06-May-11 09:52:11

This morning DS (17 mo) threw a massive wobbly because Pingu wouldn't wear DS's shoes. No matter how hard he tried to thrust them through the tv screen, Pingu just ignored him. "SHOOOOOOOOOOOES 'Gu, LOOOOOK!" An hour later he threw another fit because neither I nor the cat would wear his shoes. I can sense it's going to be a long day. Sigh.

jaggythistle Fri 06-May-11 12:05:44

DS used to cry when he saw the Pinky Ponk actually. Just shouts 'Ponk' now so must have got over it by 19mo.

Most recent huffy face was because I told him he wouldn't really be able to eat custard with a knife. Then he was even more upset when I said we couldn't go outside in our pyjamas to eat the custard (even if he took a spoon).

kadesmummy Tue 19-Jul-11 01:39:57

love this thred haha my son has a fit if you take his hand to move him somwhere instead of offering "handie" for him to take and walk WITH you haha

Athrawes Tue 19-Jul-11 02:15:53

OMG...quaking...DS is one...angelic and compiant. Off to hide underbed for three years.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 02:39:43

DD used to completely tantrum if you walked in front of her because you were then "winning" hmm

RollerMummy Wed 28-Nov-12 11:15:18

hahahaaha all these posts ring true for me! our two (we have a 3.5yo and a 2yo) both have meltdowns over nothing. I used to go completely spare trying to sort things out, trying to ignore, positive praise, naughty step etc- all pointless! I went on a ToddlerCalm course a little while back, and while our kids still have tantrums, I know now that they're a normal expression of frustration, even if the things the kids are losin their minds over aren't worth it! What was helpful was learning how to stop myself getting angry or frustrated- they had great techniques- and see it from their point of view. So I'd acknowledge that they were angry but I wouldn't get involved or try and sort it out for them, and it seemed that in most cases just me empathising with them would be enough for them to either suck it up and get on with something else, or cry for a minute and then get a cuddle and calm down. Life has been much more manageable and even enjoyable (touch wood!). I was worried about it being a bit of a namby approach (touchy-feely-hippy stuff) but actually it's not- you don't have to act all over-sympathetic or go mad with praise, just acknowledge what they're feeling and let them come to their own way of calming down, so they learn that life doesn't always go their way, but that it's ok. The naughty step and reward charts are long-gone, this is much easier!

tazmo Wed 28-Nov-12 16:50:35

My daughter had a melt down because she wanted to climbing the car seat herself (she is 2.5 yrs). She was taking so long tried to hurry her along and all hell broke loose. How do you cope? Saw a granny taking note of my car registration plate she was making so much noise!!!!!!! Thought she was going to call the nspcc. Gave her that knowing look of "agh toddlers" but she just gave me a filthy look! Might need to use some of roller mummy's tips. My ds1 was not like this! Not sure why dd2 is so spirited (is that a diplomatic way to say it?????)

PerchanceToDream Thu 29-Nov-12 15:56:51

We had the 'I'm not allowed to put Mummy's leather belt around my neck' meltdown the other day...

notcitrus Mummy made us miss the train today so we had to get the bus. All hell was let loose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now