Children naked in changing rooms

(16 Posts)
Loulou000 Tue 13-May-14 14:37:43

I was told off at the weekend by the lifeguard at our local pool, who said I couldn't let my children be naked in the changing rooms. They had taken off their swim things in the communal showers, and then there was a short delay before we could get a space in a changing room. I was really surprised. I guess I am quite liberal about these things - is it inappropriate though? They are 5 and 7. I suppose I feel 7 is borderline.

doradoo Tue 13-May-14 14:40:37

Didn't you see the other thread - apparently it seems nobody, at all, ever is allowed to be naked at any time in the public baths......

Artandco Tue 13-May-14 14:41:35

Huh? Isn't that the point of changing rooms? I get showered, undressed and dressed ie naked. Sure maybe not running around but that's in clothes or not

But there was a thread recently with man showering naked at pool in communal changing room which everyone was horrified but seems logical to me.

How can they be washed properly in swim wear? And no one should have to cover up with towel between showering and getting changed

SunnyRandall Tue 13-May-14 14:43:15

My 5 and 7 yr old would be VERY unhappy at being naked in a communal area. So personally I would not let the situation arise (somehow).

But I wouldnt think it inappropriate if other children were. And as for it being not allowed confused

Loulou000 Tue 13-May-14 14:43:24

Sorry, I looked for a thread on this but didn't spot that one, will look.

That's the thing, you do kind of have to take the swimmies off to shower. And a five year old is not very good at keeping a towel on, even if I'd tried.

doradoo Tue 13-May-14 14:46:35

Loulou - naked man in showers thread

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with anyone being naked in the changing rooms whilst getting changed.

Loulou000 Tue 13-May-14 14:50:31

Thanks Doradoo. I don't really have a problem with a naked man. Even if I did, I think little children's nakedness is unambiguously innocent and so I find it hard to understand why anyone would disallow it.

Jaffakake Tue 13-May-14 21:11:32

There's nothing wrong with anyone being naked in the changing rooms! How odd. I suppose there's an age limit where a child needs to go their own sex changing room, but I think it's 8 at my local pool.

adoptmama Wed 14-May-14 03:31:07

I think I'd have told the lifeguard to go back to looking at people in the water who need guarding. What a lot of nonsense. The world of 'safeguarding' has gone mad. Why don't you ask the managment to clarify their policy and explain why this is a rule if they support such lunacy?

vociferous Wed 14-May-14 04:38:04

I have taken my DS now 8 years old to the swimming baths a few times. We have exactly the same problem. I'm a single father and it's very complicated. We have to change in a family cubicle together as he won't go in on his own. Afterwards I have to get him showered, dried and dressed. Then he has to come back into the cubicle whilst I get dressed. At various stages in the process Ollie will be running around the changing rooms with nothing on. The amount of looks I get from people because I'm a single guy going into a changing room with what in their eyes is a little boy - I'm only 26 which doesn't help. I feel I have to justify everything by saying things like. Ollie my sweetie, I wish you would go in on your own or can you wait for Daddy before you go outside etc. It's a crazy work we live in!

Fideline987654321 Wed 14-May-14 04:56:18

Voci you might want to ask MNHQ to edit that post to remove your son's name.

vociferous Wed 14-May-14 05:31:22

Thanks for the heads up Fideline! :-)

vociferous Wed 14-May-14 05:32:42

I'm on automatic mode. Forget that I'm posting to the world. Got to get used to this forum lark! :-D

Fideline987654321 Wed 14-May-14 05:34:20

smile

soupmaker Wed 14-May-14 10:28:39

My DH got told off when he took DD1 swimming at aged 4 and she whipped off her costume in the communal showers. Honesty, the world has gone bloody mad. I do think that naked adults in mixed communal showers is a bit much though, but not if it was same sex only.

Loulou000 Thu 15-May-14 13:01:03

I love Mumsnet. Especially when people agree with me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now