Anyone else using the long weekend to potty train?

(126 Posts)
cocoachannel Fri 29-Mar-13 13:23:38

So far we have 2 x accidents, zero wees in potty...

DD is 2.1, and has been stripping off and asking for her potty for a few weeks. She's at nursery so sees others which has promoted the interest.

And she weed sad when I came into the room she was sat on her potty with her wet trousers still on. Wet patch in front of the potty so I suppose she tried...

Oh glad it's not just is. Dd is prone to dermatitis etc must remember to put cream on

MysteriousHamster Mon 08-Apr-13 14:00:47

Spotty - my DS's bum is a bit red/rashy too. I think it is because their bums have been cushioned all this time and now they are sitting directly on them, on hard floors/rough fabrics etc.

We waited a week until we let dd do it herself and we still bribed her to go if she hasn't been for a bit.

Day ten now I think and she's doing it all herself. Three wees on the toilet but she wanted to do her poo on the potty?!

She's also developed some kind of psoriasis on her bottom which looks to be where she is/we are pulling her knickers up and down confused

BNmum Mon 08-Apr-13 08:16:50

I tried to give DS the opportunity to go to the potty or ask for it himself yesterday, this resulted in 3 accidents and 2 successful trips to the potty (both of which were because I intervened). We've had 1 accident already this morning.

I am prepared for lots of accidents and think it is part of the learning process but I am a little concerned that he no longer announces that he needs a wee/poo or even asks for the potty. He also doesn't seem to acknowledge that he's had an accident and would quite happily carry on as normal until I pointed it out to him.

Did anyone else experience this phase? We are now on day 5 and I'm determined to go over a week before deciding if I should put him back in nappies and try again later.

BNmum Sun 07-Apr-13 08:15:13

I'm please you've said that tea cakes as I was thinking the same but then in my exhaustion last night I got it in my head that he wasn't going enough because he was developing anxiety over the potty. Potty training is hard work! Although I'm determined to keep it up.

Dd was on and off the potty about three times before she managed her poo.

Bn I think holding if in shows they have the correct bladder control needed smile

MysteriousHamster Sat 06-Apr-13 20:52:53

We had another dry day today. Put him on the loo this morning at wake-up time, then the rest of the day he led the way really. Doesn't tend to go when you ask unless bribery is involved (stubborn) but husband was in kitchen at one point, popped into living room and DS had put himself on the potty.

He asked for the loo while we were out again and held it until we got to a public toilet.

Did a couple of big poos in the right place too - but he wouldn't have managed it on his own. I recognised that he clearly wasn't comfortable getting up after doing a tiny wee and persuaded him to keep trying. I think it genuinely is much harder for them to get poos out, so if it doesn't appear straight away they just get up - or do it in their pants as that's what they're comfy with. He does seem to prefer the toilet to the potty for poos (probably because we have got a good step-ladder-cum-seat unit with handles that he likes holding on to!

They can hold their wee can't they! He can go easily for four hours, whereas I basically go for a wee most times I pass the toilet 'just in case'.

BNmum Sat 06-Apr-13 20:28:16

DS seems to be able to hold his bladder for a ridiculously long time, longer than me! We had one accident this afternoon and nothing on the potty. That's one wee from 2.45 - 6.15, he probably had one in the bath after that. I hope he's not going to give himself a urine infection from holding it in too long.

Well this afternoon she had one bribed wee on the potty (quavers anyone?) and of her own accord four wees and a poo smile

We're on day 8(?) and are generally letting dd decide herself now. We only make her go before we go out or if we realise she hasn't been for ages.

BNmum Sat 06-Apr-13 13:24:43

Well done everyone. I'm currently on day 4 and having mixed results. Day one was very good with only 1 accident, day 2 we had 3 accidents, yesterday was a bit of a disaster but we had unexpected visitors which proved a huge distraction, this morning we've had 0 accidents, 1 poo and 3 wees. This has all been at my prompting, at what stage did you let them decide to take themselves to the potty?

Hmm if it was me I think I would leave it until summer. But I'd rather leave it until they're really ready just so it's low stress. People have been telling me to potty train dd since she was two and I'm glad I waited smile

QueenFuri Sat 06-Apr-13 11:46:43

On/off for 6 months. This time its been 6 days and the longest we've went without nappies. Yep hes been in pants all day and pull ups at night.

How long have you been doing it? Have you gone cold turkey in the day?

QueenFuri Sat 06-Apr-13 08:47:29

I have been attempting to potty train DS 2 who is 2 yrs 11 mths its going ok sometimes. He knows when he needs a wee or poo but has been hit or miss more poo accidents than wee ones hmm. 1st 2 days were brilliant he even had 2 naps staying dry past 2 days its been all puddles should I give up?

We kept asking dd if she needed a wee and she kept saying no. Then she came into my room 'mummy I did an accident' hmm

That's great mysterious! We had a dry day in the end smile

Crazycake Fri 05-Apr-13 18:42:39

That's brilliant mysterious! We had a day where I was ready to give up, we went out in the afternoon armed with tonnes of spares and she stayed dry, the perseverance pays off grin

Crazycake Fri 05-Apr-13 18:39:47

I agree, we did all or nothing too, and we've finally had two full dry days grin

MysteriousHamster Fri 05-Apr-13 18:38:56

Well magically it turned into a good day after all.

I know the advice is to be super positive all the time, but I mentioned to him that we might not be able to go out if he couldn't wee in the potty, so he did one straight away to prove he could. Then later did a big poo and a wee. After a bath he did a wee on the toilet (sorry for all the details, who else can I share it with??).

We went out and I took loads of clothes. He asked me for a wee halfway through and did a big one in the potty there. Then when I was busy and a friend of his needed the loo, his mum took them both.

A few more wees in the potty at home!

I think it shows that he might have his off moments but can do it. If it was bad all the time I'd be tempted to stop, but I think he is capable, just is stubborn and distractable.

Sorry this is probably too late now but for us it's all or nothing.

We're still having a good day. She's done three wees on her potty of her own accord smile

MysteriousHamster Fri 05-Apr-13 11:54:17

Today it is going really badly. This time last week he had two fully dry days.

Today he went on the toilet in the morning, potty a couple of hours later. Then I've asked him if he needs to wee - he says no, I turn my back, then he wees all over the floor.

WHY?

I am supposed to be going out to soft play with him later. Do I put him in nappy, pants, or not go? I haven't seen my friends for ages.

Crazycake Fri 05-Apr-13 09:37:19

Ouch! Hope you get some sleep soon. If not here's some very strongbrew

Well yesterday he had two short naps in the morning totally one hour so not likely hmm he's 18 weeks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now