Anyone else using the long weekend to potty train?

(126 Posts)
cocoachannel Fri 29-Mar-13 13:23:38

So far we have 2 x accidents, zero wees in potty...

DD is 2.1, and has been stripping off and asking for her potty for a few weeks. She's at nursery so sees others which has promoted the interest.

Crazycake Mon 01-Apr-13 14:23:18

After a disastrous start to the day, we've only had that one accident and she seems to be weeing on demand smile

That's great crazy smile sounds like you've turned a corner

Dry all day and she just went for a massive wee on the potty without me even noticing!

Spoke too soon sad

BNmum Mon 01-Apr-13 22:21:09

Going to try later this week so I'll keep an eye on here for all the tips!

parabelle Mon 01-Apr-13 22:29:13

Good luck all of you. We're trying to get dd2 to give up nappies at night-time. First night she wet the bed, then got up went to the park and had an accident, then came home and had another one (this after being dry during the day for two years). Second night fine. Last night wet the bed at 2am.
Am considering lifting her tonight, is this a good idea? She's far too old to be doing this, I'm embarrassed by how old she is to be still wet at night-time.

How old is she para ? Night wetting is a hormone thing it's really not a training u can force. I really is commingle children aged 4/5/6 maybe even older to still have a pull up at night.

It is really common- sorry on iPhone major typo issues

parabelle Mon 01-Apr-13 22:39:23

She's five. DD1 did it at 4, dd2 really wants to be a 'big girl', just not sure if it's really working. Am off this week so will give it 'til Friday, hopefully it may click.

Please don't worry if it doesn't work though. It's really not unusual and it will happen at some point. smile

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 01-Apr-13 22:45:53

Parabelle, our DS2 was 7 in Feb. We stopped lifting him New Years Eve. He was in night time nappies till 5.5 and we still had an accident a week for a year after that.

My sisters two (boy/ girl) are now 5.5 and they are still being lifted and have occasional accidents.

gallicgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 22:48:02

Surely it needs more than a weekend?
[doubtful]

DD is 2.2 and although she'll sit on the potty at bedtime sometimes, she constantly denies having a wet or dirty nappy. She's also incapable of sitting still so don't fancy my chances for ages yet.

KnockMeDown Mon 01-Apr-13 23:16:55

Hi there am late to this thread as only just seen it, but this has been us this weekend!
I have tried with DD, who is 2.10, before, with some success, but for months now she has been adamant that she does not want to wear big girls pants. I've been thinking about how to persuade her, as she quite happily sits on the potty for wees. But as this weekend we had visitors and numerous trips out to restaurants planned, I certainly did not plan to have another go now.
But Friday morning DD found a pair of shoes that I had put away for her birthday, and wanted to put them on. On the spur of the moment I said "but these are big girl shoes, only for girls who wear big girls pants!" And that was it - she wanted her pants then and there! grin
There has been no persuading her to go back to pullups, and we have somehow managed all the trips out, with visits to the toilets. We have had surprisingly few accidents, apart from the poos in pants, which I think will take a while longer.
She ignores most of my promptings, and just goes when she is ready, but also seems much more aware of accidents.
But there is definitely no going back now, and tomorrow nursery get to deal with it grin

Gallic I would wait until you're really sure she's ready. I know people who've tried too early and it's taken then months. Not saying your dd isn't ready, only you know that! Dd has never told us when she's wet etc but she's 2.9 now, can pull her trousers up and down, speaks really, played with her nappy/bottom a lot (especially when she needed a wee I think). You can always try for a day and see.

allagory Tue 02-Apr-13 00:04:55

Glad I only just saw this. DS2 (3.3) has been potty training now for 1 month (3rd attempt). For DS1 we just gave him a few maltesers and a pair of Fireman Sam pants , and away he went. DS2 is more of a challenge. So many apologies if you were in our pod at The London Eye last week. Or at the swimming pool foyer. Or at the London Transport Museum. The good news I think he's got us properly trained now and we are catching more than we miss!

duchesse Tue 02-Apr-13 00:10:43

gallic, ime it takes about a year. OP, it has frankly bollock all to do with "interest", and about 90% to do with physical readiness and maturity of neural pathways. DD3 was not ready until 3 years and 5 months. I put her in nappies at 2 years 6 months. There were a LOT of accidents. She has really only "got it" in the last month.

Good luck if your DD is ready though. It will almost certainly take more than a long weekend.

duchesse Tue 02-Apr-13 00:11:15

sorry, put her *in pants at 2y6 m.

MysteriousHamster Tue 02-Apr-13 00:28:40

We've been trying this weekend too.

Thurs I took time off work and just got on with it. Lots of wee and poo on the floor. Friday it was all in the potty. Saturday all wees in the potty but no poos. Sunday, some accidents with both as he was obviously desperate to poo but didn't want to do it in his pants.

Today we had one poo in potty, couple of wees in potty, also a lot of accidents of both varieties.

I think he got it, then started feeling the pressure (though have been doing my best not to pressure him!). He was also happy to 'try to wee' at first, but now is only doing it when he really really feels the urge, which means he's getting to the potty late. This afternoon he was refusing to go on it altogether...

As Friday/Saturday were both dry/no accidents I'm hopefully he will get there without us going back to nappies. But he's at nursery tomorrow and I suspect there will be a lot of accidents.

He also insists in taking all his trousers/pants/shoes/socks off for every potty attempt! Interestingly, he really didn't want to wear a nappy at night, and in fact the nappy is feeling very dry in the mornings - but don't want to risk trying to go dry at night for some time yet.

gallicgirl Tue 02-Apr-13 00:41:32

Oh she's definitely not ready but it has to start at some point this year. Just picking up tips and pitfalls from everyone else at this stage.

MacCrackles Tue 02-Apr-13 10:23:06

Oooooh sad I thought we were doing so well. About 95% of wees were going in the right place (potty) but today we've had only the first in and the next two in pants despite trying the potty just before. Maybe he just doesn't realise when it's on it's way. Am almost at the point of giving up.

No, will continue for the rest of the week.

We're out having coffee no wees yet. One in the potty this morning.

MacCrackles Tue 02-Apr-13 11:33:36

Doing well Spotty!

Still no more wees! Might bribe her to go before lunch. Writing this on my phone and just noticed baby poo on my thumb hmm

Poo in the potty with no prompting!

Crazycake Tue 02-Apr-13 14:38:11

That's brilliant spotty! It seems we have success here too, one accident yesterday with me putting her on the potty every 15 minutes and then last night as I was putting her in bed, she made me take her nappy off because she needed to have a wee smile obviously when she'd finished I put it back on her and tucked her back in. This morning she asked to use the potty and she hasn't needed prompting all day and zero accidents grin she's not had a poo yet though, I'm thinking that may take longer to master, we're off out (finally) to the park tomorrow so we'll see how she goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now