What name do you secretly love but would never use for your child?

(789 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Sat 04-Oct-08 21:29:25

For me it's Silas - it reminds me of the adventure programmes I used to watch as a kid. I think one of my first crushes must have been on a character called Silas.

I did suggest it for DS1 (vetoed by DP), but thinking about it I wouldn't want to call my son Silas and I can't really explain why.

Does anybody else have a name that they wouldn't use, but really like nonetheless...?

mabanana Sat 04-Oct-08 23:26:29

Lettice - such a lovely name but open season for bullying I suspect.

EightiesChick Sat 04-Oct-08 23:35:00

Sydney could be also used for a girl, as in Alias the TV series.

Willow
Tara
Anya

I wasn't allowed any 'Buffy' names

NotAnOtter Sat 04-Oct-08 23:38:05

yorkiegirl

my mate had a friend called Byron

they were from Rotherham

his cat was called Miranda

brimfull Sat 04-Oct-08 23:40:56

Michelle

I think it's a really pretty name,sadly with bad connotations.

GobbledigookisThrifty Sat 04-Oct-08 23:41:34

Gabriel adn Julian - like them both but would probably not use them (well, hjaven't actually!)

I always liked Malachai and Seth <vetoed> also Ophelia, Octavia, Thalia. Dp in all seriousness wanted to call dd Lucretia lol. I also like Lenore, Lilith, Iris, Lydia and Althea, actually Ramona is nice too.

Tinker Sat 04-Oct-08 23:47:46

Jesse was our brave boy choice. Still felt nervous about it right up to labour and was pretty relieved when had a girl. Hadn't told many people beforehand since knew what the reaction would be.

Real fantasy choice would be Amadeus. grin

grin fruitstick, my Mil is a florence and dd has it for a middle name, Mil hates it with a passion though.

Tinker Sat 04-Oct-08 23:51:20

Ha, have read thread now and see I'm not alone.

Aefondkiss Sat 04-Oct-08 23:55:47

I like Evangeline

I had lots of names I really liked, my ds has a lovely middle name, I wish we had just named him that, but I just couldn't face the hmm reactions

Angus
Nechtan
Caithluan
Finnuala

kickassangel Sat 04-Oct-08 23:59:42

Ichabod
Thomasina

I love Yestin for a boy, but I don't think DP is all that keen on it. I also loved Seth but friend put me off by reminding me of Seth Dingle.

Felicia.

Was on my list right up until Skoda stole it.

Bastards.

Samantha28 Sun 05-Oct-08 00:30:34

saskia
verity
perdita
imogen

Gingerbear Sun 05-Oct-08 00:41:47

Lara
Lilly
Lulu
Laurie
Lennie

not good with surname

MrsJohnCusack Sun 05-Oct-08 01:55:01

Balthazar
Isambard

Jude for a boy but dh thinks it's girlie and Scarlett Honey for a girl DH thinks pretentious. DH is an arse sometimes and wanted Matty or Matilda coz he is Mathew.

TinkerBellesMum Sun 05-Oct-08 02:04:02

Lots of Star Trek names are gorgeous but it would be too obvious!

TinkerBellesMum Sun 05-Oct-08 02:05:15

Also I like the P names from Charmed but have a neice called Paige so that would be too obvious now. I was pregnant at the same time and it was on my list but SIL was ahead of me.

Also Leroy Dh thinks it's ethnic and Liam/Leon cozDH likes Oasis / Stone Roses sorry for battering dh on here but we have differnt name views.
I don't know why but I love Francis for a girl.

Kitty, Lula, Betty, Fenton, Finlay, Arriety, Frankie, Sonny, Sunny, Harley, Bailey, Renton, Dyfan, Nancy, Tallulah, Kieron, Evan, Owen, Erin, Maxwell, Pippa, Cressida, Louis, Mollandra. Theres plenty more where that came from.

jabberwocky Sun 05-Oct-08 03:14:18

Elvis
Tallulah

ninedragons Sun 05-Oct-08 06:01:43

Flora. I lobbied hard but DH couldn't be swayed from his margarine objection.

CoteDAzur Sun 05-Oct-08 07:42:06

Valentina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now