Can't agree on name. Elizabeth or Gabriella.

(41 Posts)
Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 15:31:17

We live in Italy, but I'm from uk. To narrow it down to 2 names has been a task as it has to be versatile and pronounceable in both languages, I really like Elizabeth and hubby likes Gabriella, I have a feeling dhs family don't want elizabeth as they don't us "th" but I have said they can shorten it to Eliza, my issue with Gabriella is our surname starts with similar letters and sounds a bit of a mouthful. We have to decide as once I've had her a name must be chosen and registered, in order to leave hospital. How are we going to decide?

Gemerama Thu 26-Jun-14 15:35:11

I think you should get to decide smile

Elizabeth is a great name and has lots of potential nn

Oscarandelliesmum Thu 26-Jun-14 15:36:47

Agree

ScarlettDarling Thu 26-Jun-14 15:37:48

I love gabriella!

Oscarandelliesmum Thu 26-Jun-14 15:39:57

Sorry posted too soon. Meant to say that I agree that as you are gestating and delivering little Elizabeth, your opinion should carry more weight! Might be biased though as I have a n Elizabeth

burgatroyd Thu 26-Jun-14 15:45:36

Elizabeth has lots of nn potential. Gabriella will more than likely be shortened to gabby which rhymes with scabby

Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 15:50:07

We are in Italy so she would have that issue of being called scabby, over here the Italians would shorten it to gabri. I'm only 4 weeks away from due date, with my first was 2 weeks early, and had to trust husband to register the name as I was in hospital, at least this hospital has an office where we can go register the name, but worried if I left him to do it he'd choose his preferred name.

Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 15:54:14

Also, our first we named alexia, but we have a little issue when we tell people her name and they say Alessia which is a really common name over here, my daughter corrects them but it's a bit annoying when they keep calling her Alessia, eg my mil told me that she didn't like x in her name so was going to call the Alessia instead, she calls her by her proper name now as I kept correcting her and persisted. They would call her elizabet as there is no "th" in Italian.

MrsRuffdiamond Thu 26-Jun-14 15:59:45

Like both, but prefer Elizabeth. (My middle name!)

Would you be able to use the nn 'Libby' where you are? (If you liked it, that is! smile)

Legionofboom Thu 26-Jun-14 15:59:50

worried if I left him to do it he'd choose his preferred name shock

my mil told me that she didn't like x in her name so was going to call the Alessia instead shockshock

OMG.

Elizabet isn't too far from Elizabeth though. Is Elizabetta Italian too? Could the Italian family use that too?

I presume MIL would approve of Gabriella.

Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 16:19:46

Elisabetta, is the Italian version and I don't like it. MIL Is pita. I 99% trust my dh to choose an agreed name, but that 1% as once chosen! name cannot be changed. I want her name to be different and special. The amount of names we've gone through some thrown out due to not agreeing on the spelling, for example we both liked Daniella but he wanted it spelt Daniela and both unwilling to budge.

CruCru Thu 26-Jun-14 16:21:16

I love Elizabeth (my DD's middle name).

Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 16:21:52

As said before my issue with Gabriella is the surname it really is a mouthful with the gabri garb sounding

PandaWatch Thu 26-Jun-14 16:22:12

Both are lovely.

I slightly prefer Gabriella as the full name but Elizabeth has so many lovely nn, as well as being a beautiful name on its own.

gymboywalton Thu 26-Jun-14 16:26:36

both really beautiful names. it sounds like you prefer elizabeth so i'd go for that. she can then be lizzie or liza or beth or betty or whatever evolves.

I'd choose Eliza. actually you can't - that is too close to Alexia/Alissa IMO. therefore Gabriella wins.

obviously I could have kept that monologue to myself but it is a valid thought process I reckon.

Nereida Thu 26-Jun-14 17:00:09

If you're in Italy then I think Gabriella would be better.

Mintberrycrunch Thu 26-Jun-14 17:39:23

Why should living in italy overrule my prefered choice of name? Though it really annoys me that they change queen elizabeths name to elisabetta and prince charles to carlo.

lifehasafunnywayofhelpinguout Thu 26-Jun-14 17:53:41

Elizabeth. X

Sidthesausage Thu 26-Jun-14 18:58:40

Stick with Elizabeth - lots of nick names - Betty, Beth, bess, Eliza, Ellie, liz, lizzie

pilates Thu 26-Jun-14 19:04:35

Def Elizabeth lots of nice nicknames too.

BlueStarsAtNight Thu 26-Jun-14 19:11:22

I much prefer Gabriella. And if (for example) your surname was Garbo, then I think Gabriella Garbo sounds pretty damn awesome!

Allalonenow Thu 26-Jun-14 19:11:49

Both lovely names, but I would use Elizabeth as that's your favourite.

beccajoh Thu 26-Jun-14 19:14:36

I like both. They were both potential names for DD. Elizabeth has more options for shortening - Betsy, Libby, Beth, Liz. Gabriella would just be Gabby or Ella I guess?

Delphiniumsblue Thu 26-Jun-14 19:16:24

Elizabeth- lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now