Horrific names from your family tree

(156 Posts)
Fantail Tue 14-Jan-14 21:12:19

We have been working a little bit on DH's family tree lately. There are some hmm names in there but none more horrific than a little boy in the 1800s named Ethelbert who grew up in East London.

Have you come across any in your family?

Livvylongpants Fri 17-Jan-14 07:53:53

I have a great aunt Gertrude, we have a picture of her hidden in the loft she looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp and as children used to cower in fear it her staring at us from the wall.

We also have a rhia... Doesn't sound too bad until you read her last name which is lee. Rhia lee, is like something out of a joke book!

ComposHat Fri 17-Jan-14 07:45:37

I have a great great great aunt waho was called Appelina which I used to think was hilarious, but now quite like.

Not so much unusual names but my gran is completely in denial about her Jewish family roots. My mum has done the family tree and will pull out names like Issac and Rachel Goldberg (tailors) and my Gran will say stuff like ' don't be stupid of course they aren't Jewish'

mummyjanine Fri 17-Jan-14 07:20:58

My name.... Janine confused

lanbro Fri 17-Jan-14 06:43:47

Lucinda is definitely not horrific!

SecretWitch Fri 17-Jan-14 06:14:53

I have a Cruickshank, Mathilda, Violetta, Prudence, Edgar, and Salem in my family tree.

MummyPig24 Fri 17-Jan-14 05:59:44

There's a Jabez way back who was sent to Australia as punishment for stealing a sheep.

And this will definitely out me to those who know me well. My great grandfather was called Dick Bonaventure. Yes, I know.

NinjaPenguin Thu 16-Jan-14 23:45:55

Sorry, Skrifa blush

NinjaPenguin Thu 16-Jan-14 23:45:31

Skrifna Are you Icelandic?

I have a Knackers Davis in the past, and I also have a third cousin called Namaste.

mathanxiety Thu 16-Jan-14 23:16:48

Irene and Norine and Winifred, on exH's side, last name Pugh. A bit like Winnie the Pugh..

mathanxiety Thu 16-Jan-14 23:15:15

Gobnait/Gobnet (no matter how you spell it) is the Worst Name Ever. I knew one growing up; she left Ireland.

hoarseoldfrog Thu 16-Jan-14 22:28:26

Gamaliel, athenasius

ScoobertDoo Thu 16-Jan-14 22:06:47

Gobnet lived in Ireland in about 1890 I believe. She was a woman, though I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.
My great uncle was Tom Bowler grin

We had 4 generations of men called Will Barrow, grin

BuntyPenfold Thu 16-Jan-14 19:08:09

Lucinda surely doesn't count as horrific.

I quite like Horatio too.

Skrifa, I have no idea how to say some of those.

SpookedMackerel Thu 16-Jan-14 16:54:28

My family tree is full of Adolphs. Even some female Adolphes and Adolphines. My great uncle was one of the last ones, but always went by his middle name after the war. His son, my dad's cousin, born i think in the early 40s nearly got called Adolph, due to strong family tradition. Except his mother said absolutely not grin

Vidaloca Thu 16-Jan-14 16:40:19

My uncle's middle name was Fludd.

My great aunt was Olive Balls.

MrsPatMustard Thu 16-Jan-14 16:35:33

My Mum is Morag - which i've always thought had a really ugly sound to it (apologies to other Morags out there, but it's not my cup of tea.)

Skrifa Thu 16-Jan-14 15:18:44

Baldur AND a Baldvin
Þorkell
Snorri
Þröstur
Örn. And my great grandad had a letter from an Eggert.

Bergþóra and Hólmfríður.
Oddný. Hrafnhildur
Ólöf
Sigurbjörg- Sigurbjörn would be the male version, haven't met one or heard of those.
Hildur
Thelma
Hrönn
Þórhildur

Tbf, they aren't weird to me, but when DP met my grandparents etc; he was a bit hmm and as he's the crazy family history buff person, he enjoys finding names he isn't complete sure he can pronounce.

ProfondoRosso Thu 16-Jan-14 15:00:52

Danielina (with the last part pronounced Eye-na). Apparently it was tradition in my DM's dad's family to name both baby boys AND girls after their grandfathers. DM was very nearly Danielina. Thankfully, her parents chose her grandmother on her mother's side's name.

ElizabethBathory Thu 16-Jan-14 14:56:15

Adolf!!! Loads of them! grin

My name appears here and I don't think it is bad. sad
We have a long line of Herbert's down one side and Obeydijah down the other.
Cumming
Wick
Horatio
Jezebel sister of Virtue and Chlamydia.
Couple of Winifred's
Jamesina sister of Jamesetta, Jamesa and jamesorla
Thrift (girl)

pyjamasatlunch Wed 15-Jan-14 23:10:23

My Mum swears we have some sort of distant twin girl cousins called Orange and Lemon.... grin - I have never investigated this which is a good thing. If it is not entirely right the disappointment would kill me.

I've also got a Thomasina - and an Edith! My gm was Rosina which, although unusual, I always thought was quite pretty.

But I don't think they're quite as bad as what DH would have been called if he had been a girl......Lucinda confused

Fantail Wed 15-Jan-14 23:01:32

We have sisters called Kathleen, Irene and Maureen...

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 15-Jan-14 22:38:34

Gobnet is presumably an Anglicisation of Gobnait?

Hamsolo, please tell me that there was an Elastic Guffer? You can lie if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now