Myrtle

(63 Posts)

I genuinely adore the sound of this name...and it has a lovely meaning.

I get the HP reference isn't great and the rhyming perhaps...but I'd love to use it...

Siblings are Arlo and Skye,is Myrtle just too different? Do they sit oddly together?

<dons hard hat>

squoosh Wed 19-Jun-13 10:47:02

Honestly I think it's an awful, awful name. On a par with Beryl or Gertrude.

Also it sounds totally at odds with your other kids names, not that they have to match or anything, but I'd assume you'd named her after a rich elderly relative in the hopes of getting in her will good books.

squoosh Wed 19-Jun-13 10:49:05

Merle as suggested above is lovely though!

Really? Seriously? Yikes.

bigkidsdidit Wed 19-Jun-13 10:53:22

I like old lady names in general. But Myrtle is dreadful.

natandmat Wed 19-Jun-13 11:25:24

I really like it!

HoneyandRum Wed 19-Jun-13 11:56:08

Actually I will revise my gushing post above after asking DCs all ardent Harry Potter fans. They do all immediately think of Moaning Myrtle the whiney, annoying ghost.

What about Vera?

HoneyandRum Wed 19-Jun-13 11:57:37

Vita?

Vita on the list already,I don't like Vera.

I like Mabel (my grandmothers middle name) ,but I'm worried its going to get very popular...

squoosh Wed 19-Jun-13 12:09:51

Vita is lovely!

GirlsonFilm Wed 19-Jun-13 12:10:15

My sil is Myrtle and hates it - is a policewomen and is referred to by the local population as Myrtle the Turtle (and worse turtle-head) and also feels the myrtle shurb is round, fat and plain (all her sisters have flower names and she feel she got the short end of the deal).

GirlsonFilm Wed 19-Jun-13 12:11:15

ps she is known by family and friends a Myr

bugsybill Wed 19-Jun-13 13:17:16

How about Myrrh?

experimental Wed 19-Jun-13 13:21:09

Vita is a million times nicer and goes with Arlo & Skye.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 19-Jun-13 13:25:30

I had a really ugly doll as a child and my daddy gave it what he thought was the worst name he could think of, so my doll was called Myrtle. Please don't.

rolypolydoll Wed 19-Jun-13 21:58:30

Love Myrtle and Vera. Both sound pretty to me.

I like the name, its a nice nature name to me.

I would love to use it but DH would not agree, so my beautiful funny cat is called it. She's very sweet and affectionate and it suits her so well.

I like your suggection of mabel, I think it will become more popular but not overly. I think Maybelle will be though.

Have you thought of other nature plant names

Bryony
Hazel
Zinnia
Calla
Aspen

GwenCooper81 Wed 19-Jun-13 22:10:31

Nope don't like it. I generally love old lady names but Myrtle isn't nice at all -infact it makes me think of boiled cabbage and blocked toilets-
Merryn is lovely and goes with your other dcs names. smile

Lucielou123 Thu 20-Jun-13 09:43:14

I agree with it not suiting Arlo and Skye. They are both really modern so the next name should be too. What about Maia pronounced my-ah. I think it goes nicely smile

Nivet Thu 20-Jun-13 09:47:49

I LOVE it but I am a fan of Granny chic names. I think it does go with Arlo and Skye.

Lots of people did the hmm face when I chose DD's name (Dorothy), sod them, if you like it then do it.

exoticfruits Thu 20-Jun-13 10:03:40

I find that many of the Grannies with the 'Granny chic' names don't care for them and use a nickname.

I was going to suggest Myrrh, which goes with your other two nicely I think.

squoosh Thu 20-Jun-13 10:30:05

Tansy or Aster are nice nature names.

rockybalboa Thu 20-Jun-13 20:49:37

Oh I think it's really pretty!

nectarini1983 Thu 20-Jun-13 21:20:47

Myrtle just awful....especially when your other kids have such lovely names.....moaning myrtle.. . Yuck x 1, 000, 000!

RaRaZ Fri 21-Jun-13 09:16:53

I don't much like it I'm afraid... Aside from the Moaning Myrtle ref, I used to read James Herriot when I was a wee kid, and Myrtle was a dog with a neurotic and hypochondriac owner :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now