most over-popular names of 2012 and 2013

(178 Posts)
photographerlady Thu 24-Jan-13 11:49:10

I do not mean this in a bad way but anyone hear the same names over and over and over the last couple of years?

Mines are:

Jayden - had 8 clients so far this year with that name
Ellie
Eva
Imogen
George
Girl names ending in Lee, Lea, Leigh

sleepywombat Fri 25-Jan-13 01:54:40

I only know one Jayden, 2 Jadons (which I think is the original spelling), but several Caidens, Kades, Quades & a Kadence (that one a girl).

Brody is also v popular here for boys.

Dryjuice25 Fri 25-Jan-13 03:14:34

Absolutely love Jayden( not because of Britney Spears son, promise!)
Lexi, Zahara etc

1978andallthat Fri 25-Jan-13 03:31:49

But those of you saying people should check top ten first - why? They are popular because people like them!

emmyloo2 Fri 25-Jan-13 04:32:39

Girls: Ava, Ella, Lola, Lila, Lily, Ruby etc etc

Boys: Lucas, Thomas, Jack, Leo, Charlie, Oscar, Noah

sleepywombat Fri 25-Jan-13 04:51:56

How annoying! Thought ds1's name was unusual (turns out v popular suddenly from the year he was born), now reading this, I've done the same with ds2!

I think I must have heard the names subconsciously or something because my cousin did the same with her Sophie.

FellatioNels0n Fri 25-Jan-13 04:53:47

Girls names seem to be more varied and unusual: we have an Autumn, Willow, Swan and Skye in some of our groups

I think those names are beautiful. When I was PG with DS3 (13) I really loved Willow for a girl. I also like Lark, Linnet, Plum, Robin, Wren and Eden for girls.

Shortbutsosweet Fri 25-Jan-13 07:14:31

I have a cousin called Jaden, named after will smiths son.
In my area and my froends kids,lots of Ava's , Lilly's Hellas etc and for boys Noah, Luke Aaron.
Unusual names Luna and Kane. My DS in Nathan and my partner bought a baby bookblush to help choose the name!

kazzy77 Fri 25-Jan-13 08:27:46

i named my ds Brody. we didnt know any other brodys but since naming him have heard it a few times plus a couple of my friends said they had Brody as a potential name for their child.

sleepywombat - I am just inquisitive to know where you are from as u say its a popular name near you. I believe its a scottish name

ksrwr Fri 25-Jan-13 09:18:18

i know of 4 evie-rose's

TyrannosaurusBex Fri 25-Jan-13 09:24:41

Can't move for Harrys and Isabellas round our way. Also Ella/Evie and lots of other girls' names beginning with E.

Boobz Fri 25-Jan-13 09:46:00

<smug none of my three names are on here>

wigglesrock Germany Fri 25-Jan-13 09:57:06

I know 3 Jaydens (girls). Out of 5 girls born very recently, 3 of them are Jessica (the parents don't know each other). I know 2 new Astrids as well.

My children have top 10/20 names, it never bothered me. As another poster said I was never going to change my choice because other people were using it and as it works out they are the only ones in their school year (one is 7 and the other is 5 and just started school) Both their names have been mentioned several times here grin

Dd3 has a name which is liked on MN but more popular where I live than my other 2 daughters.

My dd's name is on here loads. I'm angry because when I called her it it was quite rare and I got lots of comments on how old fashioned it was!

Ah well hopefully there won't be many in her year, they will all be younger than her.

jellybeans Fri 25-Jan-13 10:08:50

Evie/Eve/Ava
Alfie
Archie
Charlie
Oliver
Thomas
Poppy
Isabelle
Lucy
Amelia
Lola
Jack
Harry

forgetmenots Fri 25-Jan-13 10:16:48

Out of babies I know, it's been

Girls: Ella, Lola, Amy, Emily.

Boys: Oscar (by a mile), Lachlan/Lauchlan, Oliver/Olly.

shesariver Fri 25-Jan-13 10:22:09

Is Finlay that popular now? My DS is 5 and I dont know anymore in our town, certainly none at his school.

Near me, the most popular under five names tend to be:

Ruby
Grace
Amelia
Eva/Ava/Evie

Harry
Oliver
Riley
Jack
Thomas
George

strandednomore Fri 25-Jan-13 10:57:16

Oliver, Toby, Finley or Finn

Ellie, Evie, Jasmine, Poppy

Another name which is lovely but gaining in popularity very quickly is Betsy

Bibs123 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:25:14

Isabelle
Lily
Sophia/Sophie
Olivia
Maisie

Harry
Oliver
Joshua
Jack
Thomas
Jacob

We live in Suffolk and the most over-popular names are: Bradley, Ella, Evie, Eva, Finlay, Freya, Isabella, Jasmine, Oscar

Oh, and Henry

Snowflakepie Fri 25-Jan-13 11:44:20

Chloe
Isabel/belle

Harry
Jamie
Hugo

My Evie is the only one I know though! I knew it was top 10, but we both loved it and would not have been happy with anything else.

wehavearaspberry Fri 25-Jan-13 12:18:19

Harry, Ethan, Jacob, Olivia, Lily, Eva all seem big in Norfolk.

Chislemum Fri 25-Jan-13 12:18:36

Sophie
Amelie/Amelia

Sam

goinglone Fri 25-Jan-13 12:21:20

Isla
Darcey
Matilda
Esme
Florence
Evie/Eva/Ava
Imogen
Lily
Daisy
Poppy
Iris

Reuben
Jayden
Elijah
Zach
Theo
Isaac
Oscar
Alfie/Archie
Arthur
Teddy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now