What's Your Name?

(210 Posts)
manicinsomniac Brazil Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:40

We've done mother's, father's, grandmother's, grandfather's, children's names. But I don't think I've seen an inspiration thread based on our own (maybe we don't like our own generation's names!)

Thought it might be interesting though. For those who want to share.

Also, how common was your name when you were born? And do you like it?

I'm a Rebecca. I think it was in the top 5. Certainly top 10. I was frequently in situations where we had to decide who was going to be Rebecca, Becca, Becky, Bex etc just to distinguish. I still really like it though. But I don't like Becky and am not that sold on Becca and Bex either.

KatyAnn28 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:53:15

I'm Katy (not short for anything)

No others at school but in my Girl Guide group there was me, 2 x Katies and a Katy-Jo

Have never minded my name to be honest but have never really loved it either.

manicinsomniac Brazil Thu 22-Nov-12 17:54:30

Oh, I love Katy spelled with a y. No idea why I prefer it to Katie but I do.

lycisca Thu 22-Nov-12 18:05:35

Eve. I've never met another, although of course Eve, Evie and Eva are pretty popular nowadays. I guess I quite like it's rarity in my generation, in so far as I think about it.

lycisca Thu 22-Nov-12 18:06:42

'its' rarity.

blameitonthecaffeine Thu 22-Nov-12 19:19:33

Amy

I quite like it. Always known a few but not too many.

ellesabe Thu 22-Nov-12 20:11:33

My mum is always very scathing of people who give their children common/popular names.

My name?...Laura.

Apparently it was practically unheard of when I was born and everyone else copied her hmm

12ylnon Sat 24-Nov-12 14:18:11

My name is kessia 'keh-sea-uh'. It's a biblical name, given to my great aunt, but with a made-up spelling (thanks ma and pa!) I was always really disappointed as a child that they never had any of that cheap tourist tat with my name on. I've only heard of one other kessia with the same spelling and pronunciation as me.
I still get sick of repeating myself, spelling it out numerous times and getting wierd pronunciations. I'm growing to like it though, in glad I don't have a popular name.

Gemma.

Was one of at least three at school and all jobs Ive had.

Have a rarer MN but my parents decided to go popular common instead of brave and unique.

vamosbebe Sat 24-Nov-12 14:26:34

Rachel.

Apprently in the Bible she cried at a well. Hmm.

In Hebrew it means 'ewe', my Irish surname means 'hurtful' grin a great combination. I like my name and only know pne other Rachael (different spelling) who is my age.

Vajazzler Sat 24-Nov-12 14:29:27

My name is Louvaine. Never met another person with my name but a search on fb shows I'm not the only one.

BikeRunSki Brazil Sat 24-Nov-12 14:33:29

Alice - very unusual for my age group.I hated it when I was growing up andbused to tell people I was called Laura. I always get a bit giddy when I meet another Alice about my age.

caffeine you have the same name as my 1 yo DD, and those are the reasons we liked it.

noisytoys Sat 24-Nov-12 14:36:53

Kirstie. There were a few Kirsty's in my school but none with my spelling (we are in England it is more common in Scotland)

Kate, not anything else, just Kate. Its meh, but I loath when people ask for my full name, or ask me to pick another shortening because there are 6 other Catherine, Kathleens etc using Kate.

BananaBubbles Sat 24-Nov-12 16:59:20

I'm a Michelle.It was very common when I was born,but my parents chose it because it was the feminine form of my late grandfather's name,so they would have used it regardless of how popular it was or wasn't at the time.

I do like it,and can't imagine being called anything else,but I do hate it when people pronounce it as mee-shell.

IsSpringSprangedYet Sat 24-Nov-12 17:05:31

Lisa

There were five of us in our year at school. Mum said she named me so as there was a very pretty Lisa in her year at school shame I didn't live up to the reasoning, and I would have been Luke if I was a boy.

noseinabook Sat 24-Nov-12 17:09:23

Brigit. Hate it. Have to spell it out to everyone. the only other time I've seen it spelt like that is on The Likely Lads - one of the wifes was played by Brigit Forsyth. Really, REALLY can't stand it.

stupidcoconutmilk Sat 24-Nov-12 17:28:17

Katharine, always been known as Kate, people are always surprised to find out my full name (also have 3 middle names)

I'm a Nikki. There were a few of us about (I'm 23) but I didn't know any other's spelt the same way. My sister, since marrying, has 2 sister's called Nikki (Nickie) though grin

I like my name, prefer my sister's names though. My parents had a very short list of names that they liked that were both Persian and English. Mine is the most English sounding and 'common' for our age groups.

In Persian nomenclature my name would mean 'Nice' or 'Good'. No middle name. My full name translates to Good/Nice Hunter hmm I'm a vegetariangrin

countrybump Sat 24-Nov-12 18:11:41

Emma

Very popular name when I was at school. I neither really like nor dislike it. I get called Ems by most close friends.

gufflings Sat 24-Nov-12 20:12:24

Rebecca.

Really like it, although lots of people can't spell it. Think it was a top ten name for my generation but there weren't loads of us at school. Quite often get called Rachel instead! Or Becky (hate).

BigGiantCowWithAKnockKnockTail Sat 24-Nov-12 20:15:19

Erica. Always hated having an unusual name at school. Still not that keen now. I've never really liked being different.

Sargesaweyes Sat 24-Nov-12 20:15:21

I'm a Laura. Named after my great grandmother. I neither love it nor loathe it.

Spookey80 Sat 24-Nov-12 20:17:07

I'm Kim. I neither like or dislike it, it's ok.

AnAirOfHopeForSnow Sat 24-Nov-12 20:17:13

Angharad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now