Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

SoupDragon Mon 10-Jun-13 09:24:14

Yes, I have different projects for different times.

In front of the TV in the evening? Big "one piece" blanket.
Out and about? Squares and other small projects.

SoupDragon Mon 10-Jun-13 09:25:06

I'm working on a Billie Blanket made up of stripes using every single colour of Stylecraft I have. And that's many colours grin

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 11:38:42

I need to look at this stylecraft yarn...grin

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 12:04:56

I keep getting sidetracked by Ravelry...

I want to get good enough at crochet to do those amigurumi (sp?) toys. They're COOL!

Might need a bit more practice on blankets first, mind you!

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 21:55:49

There's a pattern on ravelry for a Tardis throw...shock

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 23:33:55

How can I store my squares? I'm rapidly being overrun by wooly shapes!

Limited space, multiple projects on the go, want to keep each one separate.

<<Suffocates under avalanche of granny squares and hexagons>>

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 23:36:16

And a note so I remember - I'm not keen on working with Aran wool. Yes, my Ex likes that type of wool, but it's scratchy, and I have to keep moisturising my hands!

Give me soft DK any day. The brighter the better!

CouthyMow Tue 11-Jun-13 02:43:19

I've finally worked out how to work in a chain - I could only work in the round before.

Still can't master the wave stitch yet. Which is a PITA as I want to start another blanket so I can get a rest from this Aran wool.

SoupDragon Tue 11-Jun-13 07:25:11

Not all Aran is scratchy. Wool is scratchy - I only use it if I want to felt something.

SoupDragon Tue 11-Jun-13 07:27:35

There's a pattern on ravelry for a Tardis throw...shock

There's a pattern on Ravelry for everything

SoupDragon Tue 11-Jun-13 07:28:28

StyleCraft Special aran is an aran weight yarn with the softness of their DK acrylic.

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Jun-13 08:48:53

I want to make the owl hats you see on Ravelry... well actually I want one owl (with duct tape and superglue straps since it's for DD1 who is an arkward sod), and one slightly tweaked to be a robin (guess DD2's name!)

SoupDragon Tue 11-Jun-13 16:21:58

I have made an owl hat smile

CouthyMow Tue 11-Jun-13 16:22:44

Ex doesn't like the 'feel' of acrylic yarn. Or acrylic fabric in any form. (He has sensory issues).

CouthyMow Tue 11-Jun-13 16:24:14

For a change, I'm whipping up a rainbow stripe scarf in DC for DS3 to wear next winter. I'm also going to attempt a hat and mittens before he needs them.

Only one problem now I can crochet - so many projects, so little time...winkgrin

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 01:00:41

I'll rephrase that - I WAS trying to knock out a scarf, but the wool I was using was a freebie with the magazine that got me started, and is frankly awful to crochet with.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a wool that crotchets like Paton's Fab or Phildar DK, feels at least as soft as that when made up in either double or half triple crochet, and comes in VERY 'zingy' rainbow colours?

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jun-13 07:26:39

Stylecraft Special DK. See the "beginners" thread. smile I

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jun-13 07:28:54

I ve done a rinabow ripple in Stylecraft Special - it had the best range of colours and is very soft.

I also like Sirdar baby bamboo which is a cottony feeling yarn and has a lovely softness. Not sure about it for a scarf although I am making a Japanese Flower Scarf out of it and it is lovely.

Whatalotofpiffle Wed 12-Jun-13 07:30:00

I can't get it... No matter how hard I try crochet eludes me!

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 08:01:45

Hop over to the beginners thread, and I would say check out YouTube vids by The Crochet Crowd and Crochet Geek.

The only thing with the American tutorials is to remember that what they call single crochet, we call DOUBLE crochet, and what they call double crochet, we call TRIPLE crochet.

I had been unable to crochet at all until two weeks ago, when I watched some of these videos.

Because you can pause them after each step, and go back and watch again if you don't 'get' something, I found it the best way to learn.

I honestly could not crochet at all two weeks ago!

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 08:02:31

<<Goes off to search Deramores for Stylecraft special DK>>

MiaowTheCat Wed 12-Jun-13 19:20:38

I couldn't get it from books at all - needed a combination of reading the book and then seeing it visually on youtube for it to click into place (and my mum talked me through doing a granny square - which was interesting with a leftie teaching a rightie).

CouthyMow Wed 12-Jun-13 22:33:43

Books made no sense to me, either. Watching on YouTube was the only thing that worked for me.

Lora1982 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:56:05

Ive learnt the american way. Shall have to make a note of what the differences are else I may ruin everything. Im off to check out thi stylecraft business. Sounds like just what I need now ive caught the crochet bug. Mum said to me the other day "well I never thought I'd see the day you took a bag off wool out this house" well I've taken everything else :-D

SoupDragon Sat 27-Jul-13 10:16:02

My mother got rid of her/my grandmother's stash before I learnt to crochet [wail]

I found this pattern booklet in a charity shop recently, I'm thinking this "motif runner" would actually make a gorgeous wrap. I'm having a go in charity shop crochet cotton - Iv'e never used anything this thin before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now