Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

sooperdooper Wed 22-May-13 21:33:23

You could unravel what you've done and practiced some more in the meantime? smile

Well DH gets paid on Friday...

bluebump Wed 22-May-13 22:12:37

I'm liking the triangle crochet bunting that's just been blogged on the attic24 page but I'm waiting for the photo tutorial because I am incapable of following a written pattern! I tried earlier and failed miserably grin

SoupDragon Thu 23-May-13 07:12:34

Does acrylic come from electric sheep?

Whilst you're still learning, I'd suggest you try the Stylecraft Special DK. If you don't know what to make you could make a Little Hug/Billie Blanket/Angel Hug or even just 6" squares for one.

My first "thing" was a giant granny square - it was great for getting a rhythm going as it was just treble crochet so I found it really helped me get used to holding the hook & yarn.

I might be coming to the party a bit late but WhereAreMyShoes your stash says "flowers in the snow" to me.

Like this one.

I love your square for Trinity's blanket.

Ah, thanks Thewoollybackswife, I am so impressed with the square I keep looking at the photo amazed.

I have started a ripple with 6 of the colours and will use the silver and dark purple for the border. I'm not sure how to make the edges straight but I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere.
It'll only be a small pram blanket so will have loads left.
I love it. It gives such a feeling of achievement, I hope my friend will like it.

I love the flowers in the snow blanket. Maybe I could do a little hug in it. I'll get some more white as that was for my Granny's stash. She always keeps a baby shawl in stock for family babies. And she gave me some pennies to put towards it so I could order enough for free postage.

Its payday tomorrow and I have a sneaky feeling another order might get made. It's my first month back to work after maternity leave and I need to treat myself. Again.

Well I'm on the point of ordering a stash of Stylecraft chunky (15% off today at Dramores) to make a blackberry salad throw.

We are all enabling each other. Swapping patterns and yarn codes. blush

SoupDragon Thu 23-May-13 20:44:25

Making the ripple edges straight is easy... Basically crochet DCs on the "mountains" and TCs in the valleys and half trebles in between.

Wolfcub Thu 23-May-13 21:22:23

I love the blackberry salad blanket

Thank you SoupDragon, I'll have a go.
I think I'll do the straightening out bit in the same colour as the first and last rows then a border round the whole lot.
I was planning to do four repeats of the colours which means I'm halfway through. grin

HoggyTruffle Fri 24-May-13 11:02:39

I'm making a cushion cover for my mother's birthday (well it was many months ago but other projects got in the way) and have finished the interesting squares for the front. Now I have to decide how to do the back - giant granny, ripple were a couple of ideas or I could knit it, mwahaha. Suggestions?

I also need persuading to buy some lovely yarn to make something for myself.

MiaowTheCat Sun 26-May-13 10:18:25

I'm procrastinating marking sats papers so bought a crochet hook (having accidentally routed hubby to "just be passing" Dunelm Mill) and I've been having a go (my mum's left-handed so, although she taught me sewing and things - knitting and crochet are a bit harder with me being the only rightie in the family)... after various appalling attempts - I have one square of I think it's double crochet with actually relatively equal sides and right angled corners. Tension's all over the place with stitches missed out (it took me 3 hours to figure the one stitch I can do out last night) but I'd expect that from a new endeavour.

I want to be able to make a blanket of squares for the littlest one of the two little ones - preferably before the 9 week old is too old to use a pushchair!

HorsesDogsNails Mon 27-May-13 21:18:31

Well, having joined about a month ago I am happy to say I am now addicted to crochet! I bought The Happy Hooker book which is brilliant and I'm now making granny squares to do a blanket..... I'm using Sirdar Calico, which feels beautiful, in cream, pink, lilac and green and at the moment have 9 squares complete.....

I know I have a long way to go but I'm loving it and spending way too much time on google images/Ravelry!!!

MiaowTheCat Wed 29-May-13 09:07:02

Is getting up to being able to make a relatively acceptable granny square in 24 hours good progress?! I cheated a smidge since the pattern was making no sense to me and got my mum to talk me through it when I'd figured out the stitches (a left hander teaching a right hander isn't the easiest process in the world!).

Got some lovely snuggly colour changy yarn and trying to make a pushchair blanket since DD1 the beanpole has reached the bottom of the cosey toes aged just over 1 year (it's a fucking pain in the arse having two 98th centile height kids)! I figure if it's colour changey it'll distract from any errors in the stitching, plus it's easier to pick out individual stitches if they're different colours which I'm finding is helping a lot. (My mum would kill me if she knew I'd been paying anything other than about 10p a ball of yarn though - but she got freebies for years and years and years as she wrote the newspaper knitting page - oh how my school teachers loved me when she had clearouts to restock the school art cupboard!)

Tragically I can't get cleared to continue with marking work till I get an email back so crochet it has to be.

schooldidi Wed 29-May-13 09:36:53

That sounds great Miaow. Making an acceptable granny square within 24 hours is good progress I think.

My mum used to get freebies of wool as well, I'm not sure why. She's really annoyed that she doesn't get them now and is having to actually buy wool. And I agree about it being a pita having children on the 98th centile for height, both of mine are too. I never thought of making a pushchair blanket though, I just made them cross their legs so they still fitted in the cosytoes blush.

SoupDragon Sat 08-Jun-13 23:19:20

Last week I taught myself something new: Tunisian crochet. I am rather enjoying it!

Anyone else tried it?

MNPin2013 Sun 09-Jun-13 17:46:17

The thing I found with Tunisian was to use a hook bigger than the yarn calls for as loose stitches equal less rolling and a draping fabric.

CouthyMow Sun 09-Jun-13 20:12:36

Tentatively checking in...

I learnt to crochet around a couple of weeks ago, and I'm hooked...

SoupDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 20:27:27

And now you can never leave! Mwahahahaha!

SoupDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 20:29:00

I only have one Tunisian hook so far... A trusty 4 mm so it is, unfortunately, the right hook for virtually my whole stash.

Actually I have two, both 4mm, but one has a hook on each end. No idea what that's for yet.

CouthyMow Sun 09-Jun-13 23:27:35

I've done 6 of my hexagons now, grey Aran centre with a blue Aran outside row. I now have to do 7 blue centred ones, with grey outside rows. Reckon I'll finish that amount before DS3 finally crashes out.

Hexagons in Aran seem to 'grow' quite quickly.

I have a 4.5 clover hook, a 5.5 basic metal hook, and a 3.5 metal hook.

Tunisian needles are next on my list...

I tend to use the 5.5 hook most, it seems the best one for me - but I may well need to drop to the 4.5 when I go back to the DK wool, as I can see that this is a better size for the Aran.

Am pondering a pattern for DD's pink and black blanket - I'm thinking octagons and squares, but I'll have to have a ponder at how many rows to do on each, so that I can fit them together IYSWIM.

CouthyMow Sun 09-Jun-13 23:30:51

Is it wrong that rather than using established colours, I'm kind of freestyling it?

I've picked some standard greys and blues for a couple of my blankets, but most if the others are quite bright.

DD's one is going to be gorgeous, I reckon - I'm using King Cole Glitz, with glitter thread running through it, in the bright pink and black. Can't wait to get started on it.

Unsure whether to do granny or solid, mind you...

SoupDragon Mon 10-Jun-13 06:14:56

Nothing wrong with winging it smile

Personally, I don't like granny squares much so I'd go with solid.

CouthyMow Mon 10-Jun-13 07:12:30

I think solid would look lovely in those colours. DD likes grannys though. Might ask her before I get started.

MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Jun-13 08:47:38

I just have loads of bright colours, indeed I regret that I haven't got ENOUGH bright colours.

Stripey blanket's growing nice and fast - got a bit bored doing granny squares but those are doable while DD1 is around and up so I can do them then, and stripe it up when she goes to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now