We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

JollyYellowGiant Fri 08-Mar-13 06:43:26

http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx

Is this helpful, trazzle? I hate magic circles and avoid them if I can!

Woolfey Fri 08-Mar-13 07:17:36

I've never gotten on with the official way of doing magic circles so I've always done a slip knot then pulled the yarn through the circle and made one chain to secure it then started the patten as usual. Always worked for me so maybe worth a try? (If you can follow my explanation that is!)

I learnt the Magic Circle from a You Tube video although I can't remember which one. Then I forgot how to do it and worked it out myself so I'm not sure whether I do it "properly" or not now. It works so that's all that matters!

Trazzletoes Fri 08-Mar-13 09:31:01

Thanks all. Ill have a proper look when I'm home with a more trusty Internet connection! Thank you very much! Stupid book with its stupid pictures!

I don't like the magic circle, though it is manageable. The tail is so long on it! I usually ch2 and dc into the first stitch instead so it's nice and tight smile

I don't get a long tail on mine, strangely enough. Not entirely sure why as I know I did when I'd just learnt..

I also have far fingers soupy, that might have something to do with it!

*fat fingers. Not sure what far fingers are

I'm a stranger round these ere parts two needles good one needle bad grin

But, Glasgow meet up thread if anyone fancies it! Needle count unimportant, cake eating important!!

Can I sneak in? I've been lurking and I have a wool question? I learnt to crochet in November and I'm hooked (grin).

Does the yarn I use really matter? I can get acrylic yarn very cheaply which is great when I'm practising as I don't mind any waste and it's washable so I tend to use it for almost everything.

Doesn't it get expensive to buy new yarn for every project and what do you do if they don't have the one you want? There are so many, how do you know where to get it from? How do you know how much to get?

Sorry for all the questions but I am space and cash strapped and I could see myself spending a fortune if I'm not careful.

It depends what you're using it for I suppose theonewiththehair
I'd use wool for clothes or something to go near skin, acrylic for something for the home (blankets, cushion covers, etc)
I tend to buy lots of acrylic when I see it cheap so I always have a stash there if I want to make something. If I are lovely wool, I'll buy it depending on price, amount, etc and then try to think of what I'd like to make with it! Otherwise if I have a project in mind then I'll have a look in local shops and online, see if there's a code to get a discount.
I don't spend that much on yarn, maybe €100 a year?

Thanks ThePigOfHappiness. Put over a year that's not too bad. A lot less than dh spends on his hobbies!

I've used it for bed socks for the dcs and hat, scarves mittens for them because I need them to be easily washable and "not itchy Mummy". I've seen a couple of things I want to make for me that I would like nicer wool for if I ever get my ripple blanket finished!

I love crochet and feel I've been missing out. I've a lot of catching up to do. smile

For most every day things, I use good old Stylecraft DK. It does the job beautifully.

Occasionally I'll by a specific yarn for a specific job - I have a whole box full of cashmerino silk waiting to be turned into a blanket for me. I bought it all at a vastly reduced price as I think it's all discontinued shades. I also have some Rico creative cotton which was on special offer, also destined to be a blanket.

In addition I have a stock of "wooly hug" yarn which again I've picked up here and there at discounted prices.

Um... I also have a box of odds and ends I've picked up from car boot sales/charity shops.

It's never been an issue of somewhere not having what I want as I tend to choose from what's there IYSWIM. Sometimes I've had to use a variety of shops to et the shade range I want.

I don't think I'm good enough to be involved with Wooly Hugs just yet but I would love to eventually.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open for some good bargains then.

Can you make a wonky square filled with love?

Then you are good enough smile

"Simple squares are good, simple squares are essential" is the woolly hug mantra! Any square that's made with love is good enough, do get involved, it's a lovely project and you'll find lots of help on the boards. It's great to practice a new pattern for a square too as there's a definite end of 6 inches.
Pound land do acrylic, sometimes 3 for the price of 2. Perfect for a little hug or angel hug.

Are they on the arts and crafts board? I'll go and take a look.

Yes - there are Angel Hugs, Little Hugs and Billies Blankets - all of which accept individual squares.

There are also the full Wooly Hugs for MNers that crop up from time to time.

Yes little hugs, angel hugs and Billie's blankets are ongoing projects so no time restrictions. Woolly hugs are specific to a poster and are only made when they are sadly needed. You can find all the boards on the arts and crafts page, jump in, we are very friendly, I promise!

X post with soupy grin

hobnob57 Sat 23-Mar-13 19:01:53

I'vs found you again after you all dropped off my Threads I'm On. Glad to see everyone still beavering away happily smile. I'm enjoying the yarn chat as it has been a learning curve for me. I got a Deramores Lucy pack of Stylecraft DK and have made a blooming flower cushion with it for the kids' IKEA egg chair. It turned into a bit of a labour of love in the end because I bought an 18" cushion pad so it seems to go on forever. Lovely in the end though.
I'm just getting an Easter photo prop out of the way and then I am At Liberty to choose my next project. I'd love to make a ripple blanket. I'm aware that my hooking productivity will cease along with maternity leave ending so I want to make my projects count. Therefore I'd really love to make a ripple blanket out of cashmerino. But don't have pennies for that so I think it'll have to be Stylecraft!

<dreams> but if I bought cashmerino then I'd have a stash of Stylecraft for itty bitty projects and decorations. Hmmm.

sooperdooper Sun 24-Mar-13 07:58:14

I'm making a bobble stitch striped baby blanket at the moment, for my brothers Dc due in June smile its a lovely and really simple pattern off Raveley, I'll try and put a pic on my profile

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 14:23:03

[waves]

I'm currently messing about with Ravelry's "party for international crochet month" group smile

hobnob57 Tue 26-Mar-13 13:26:33

Ooh Deramores sale. What do I need??.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 14:58:10

I looked this morning and, thankfully, decided that nothing I "needed" was reduced smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now