We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Team Hooker - Welcome to the Hotel Crochetfornia

(977 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 29-Sep-12 07:31:13

You can check in but you can never leave...

I have a confession to make - yesterday I made my first crochet flower. Is there any way back to 2 needles from here?

Daisybell1 Sun 24-Feb-13 12:20:55

Nope!

Crochet has got you now!!! grin

I did another one this morning! There's really no hope is there?

No hope whatsoever smile

Hello all! My arms are aching. I'm tackling seat pads using fabric strips and a 20mm hook. Hard work and hasn't got that lovely rhythmic flow of ripples or grannies. Also plodding on with my circles in the snow (although have gone slightly off piste with the joining method)

Wool shop called yesterday to say my 4ply is in - I'm making this dress. I have 6 weeks left of maternity leave and determined it complete it before life gets more complicated.

Woolfey Fri 01-Mar-13 12:41:36

Afternoon all smile Been a while since I've been on here but I've been busy crocheting away.

I've got 4 baby blankets to make for babies in the family who are due in the summer so I thought I'd make them in cotton rather than acrylic or wool. The only 100% cotton I've used is Rico creative cotton but that was for toys so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a cotton yarn that would be ok for blankets? Otherwise I was thinking I might just use the Rico Creative Cotton but have no idea if that would work out ok?

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Mon 04-Mar-13 12:38:24

I've taken delivery of some wool this weekend and am going to make some balls for DD to play with and some amigurumi little dudes. Excited!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 18:58:14

Even Hookers wine

How do I do a scalloped edge? Tis for a yarn bomb, so sssshhhhhhhhhhh.....

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 18:58:28

EvenING wine wine

Woolfey Tue 05-Mar-13 07:18:16

Morning Pistey brew
There's different types but an easy one is to do TRs in the same stitch, skip next stitch, slip stitch in the next stitch, skip a stitch, 5 trebles in next stitch then just carry on repeating. Hope that makes sense I'm not feeling that awake this morning!

Woolfey Tue 05-Mar-13 07:19:45

Sorry it should have said do 5 TR's in the same stitch to start.
Told you I wasn't awake smile

Woolfey, I love the Sirdar Baby Bamboo for baby blankets. It is lovely.

JollyYellowGiant Tue 05-Mar-13 07:43:40

Woolfey I asked on deramores facebook page and they gave me a couple of recommendations for cotton yarn for baby blankets. Can't remember what they were and can't view them on my phone, but it might be worth asking them. Their customer service email would help if you don't have facebook.

Woolfey Tue 05-Mar-13 08:27:23

Soupy & Jolly, thanks for those suggestions. I used the normal bamboo a long time ago when I tried to learn to use those two pointy stick things but I hadn't thought of it for a baby blanket. Excellent idea re Deramores as well (should have thought of it myself!) Their customer service is excellent. (and no I don't work for them smile)

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 05-Mar-13 08:44:22

Thanks lovely Woolfey, I can do that!

Baby bamboo is gorgeous to use and looks lovely when finished. Unless you accidentally tumble dry it which I've done twice. It sort of felts, which is weird as not wool but I guess the fibres behave similarly?

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 05-Mar-13 16:19:58

Waaaaah! I've just finished my first project! A ball!

It looks lovely from one side and, er, not so lovely from the side with the end sewn in but I've done it! Yeah!

Yay!

By the time it has been chewed and/or trodden on it won't notice smile

Does anyone have any ideas on a bag I could make for dd1's communion? White(of course) but no idea what kind of yarn to use as I don't want it to look "woolly" but would like it to be something special. All suggestions welcome. Tia

Something cottony - or the baby bamboo.

this looks nice. It would be easy enough to add a long handle and, made in a thicker yarn, i would come up bigger.

Assuming you are on Ravelry (and if not, why not?)

this looks nice and simple but still special.

this is entirely inapproprate but made me laugh!

Horrendously complicated

drawstring one

I love one

Thanks soupy smile I love the little drawstring one.
What is cotton or baby bamboo like to work with?

I've not used cotton but I love the Sirdar Baby Bamboo. It can be a little splitty but is fine. It has such a lovely feel to it when made up (as blankets in my case).

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Thu 07-Mar-13 15:20:58

Gah! I'm trying to do a magic circle as shown in a book and I managed it the first 3 times. Can I do it now? Of course I bloody can't. 5 goes. 5 GOES! And not one of them worked.

<sulks> stupid bloody wool <flounces>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now