In not wanting The Pope to visit uk at the taxpayers expense?

(559 Posts)
Alouiseg Tue 06-Jul-10 07:40:02

Apparently The visit wil cost 12m pounds. That's 12 million pounds to be pinched from other budgets. For a man who has been responsible for covering up crimes against children.

My MP will receive an email today and I will make my abhorrence very clear.

He is going to drive up my Mum and Dad's road- they had door to door visits from the police months ago so I can well believe that cost.

PaulineCampbellJones Tue 06-Jul-10 07:47:02

Here we go again....

BeenBeta Tue 06-Jul-10 07:50:12

Its the same when any Head of State visits.

frikonastick Tue 06-Jul-10 07:51:01

does anyone know why the tax payer pays for this? genuine question. is it because he is a visitng head of state? and if so, does it/ did it cost millions when say bush came over. or any other head of state.

frikonastick Tue 06-Jul-10 07:51:34

ah. thank you beenbeta

SirBoobAlot Tue 06-Jul-10 07:52:48

This was done a few months ago. But FWIW, YANBU.

mrsbuggywinkle Tue 06-Jul-10 07:55:48

It doesn't make any sense to me. With all of the cuts, why not just bring over whichever head of state needs to come for a chat, skip the public visiting stuff and send them back again?

Surely its the security costs of doing the public appearance stuff that is both expensive and unnecessary...

mumblechum Tue 06-Jul-10 07:58:42

YANBU.

I can't see 1m people turning out to greet him as they did when John Paul II went to Ireland.
If anything, I've heard that people may turn up on the streets to silently protest by turning their backs when his motorcade comes through. I wonder if that will actually happen?

Eve4Walle Tue 06-Jul-10 07:59:24

I don't want him here either, it's a criminal waste of money in my opinion.

Lets face it, for millions of people in the UK, his visit means nothing.

mumblechum Tue 06-Jul-10 07:59:29

And I know that he's technically a head of state, but come on. I've seen bigger Tescos than the vatican.

LadyBiscuit Tue 06-Jul-10 08:01:30

There's 4.5 million Catholics in the UK. Why don't they fund his visit if they want him to come? Who invited him anyway?

Altinkum Tue 06-Jul-10 08:04:07

I think its a waste of money, but its the same when any head of state visits any country, the host pays the bills

hocuspontas Tue 06-Jul-10 08:04:39

I think with all the public spending cuts they should just video-cam him in the Vatican and parade a big screen through the streets with him waving on it.

mumblechum Tue 06-Jul-10 08:05:58

Or not even bother doing that.

hocuspontas Tue 06-Jul-10 08:08:28

grin

babybarrister Tue 06-Jul-10 08:09:38

I think there is a real point here about the majority of the costs being because of the public appearances - I bet that the cost of a 3 day head of state visit by say Sarkozy etc is nowhere near this level.

I agree with the Vatican being the size of Tescos [probably with a smaller budget] but if we really feel we have to host him as a "head of state" that is one thing. I do not see why the UK taxpayer has to pay anything for the public appearances if the catholic public wish to see him .... they can pay then! Is this some sort of hangover in terms of guilt over the reformation. I cannot see us paying £12 million for a visit by any other religious leader ...

Alouiseg Tue 06-Jul-10 08:11:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Think the reason the Pope's visit is disproportionately more expensive than other visiting head of states is that he will be visiting the public, rather than say, another head of state who mainly stays close to London and in diplomatic circles.

don't see what the relevance of the size of the Vatican has to do with anything? Are we suggesting that the geographical size of a state determines the importance?

PaulineCampbellJones Tue 06-Jul-10 08:23:19

LadyBiscuit - church has been collecting for this for months so some of it is being paid for by the people. I don't think the taxpayer should be paying for it by the way but that also goes for our own Royals protection money when they go to the World Cup etc.

LadyBiscuit Tue 06-Jul-10 08:25:49

I think the Church is putting in £5m. So less than half. Given that the majority of the UK population think he's implicated in covering up systematic sexual abuse, I really don't want to stump up the rest.

YANBU.

Grrr.

Jasonthunderpants Tue 06-Jul-10 08:26:48

I know what you mean about taxes
I dont want my taxes spent on
Librarys(dont read books)
subsidised theatre(dont go)
The upkeep of roads(dont drive)
Free school meals and other subsidised thing for the needy(we have to pay )
illegal imigrants being looked after,they should be deported imediatly
I could go on
what benefits do i get from these things?

Altinkum Tue 06-Jul-10 08:28:39

No, its to slate catholicism, ilovemydog, it doesn't affect them, so why should we pay it, I mean we are holding the Olympics, and it doesn't affect me personally, however I still support it, as it will benefit other people.

The pope coming here will benefit, the catholic faith. Money should be going to ALL victims of abuse! it isn't happening tho, instead there is budget cuts, and its most definitely not because the pope is coming to the UK, there has been loads of vast amounts of money being wasted due to public funds, ie, the millenium dome, wembley, millennium eye bridge (which still does not work, due to the part being too expensive) id rather the money went on risings peoples faith more

Not for some eye sore! still think its a waste, but none the less, it better that some rubbish out money goes on!

The pope coming here will benefit, the catholic faith.

So let the Catholics pay. I agree that the Dome etc were a huge waste of money but at least the idea was that they would bring in tourist revenue, as will the Olympics. The Pope is just a figurehead of a religion that most British people do not subscribe to and his visit will benefit us not one bit. I wish he was not coming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now