to regret giving my dd a gay packed lunch?

(519 Posts)
pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:35:16

Dd1 (12) was off on a fun school trip today with a mix of kids from high school.

I suggested a few things for her packed lunch this morning and she went off happily with a peanut butter sandwich, a fruitus bar, a kitkat, some dried apricots, a tub of home-made muesli and a bag of chipsticks.

The tuff kids laughed at her lunch - snorting particularly loudly at the apricots - and called it gay.

I feel like the mum in About A Boy.

victoriascrumptious Tue 30-Jun-09 20:35:44

It's gay

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 30-Jun-09 20:36:52

the other kids are rude

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Jun-09 20:37:10

God, kids are weird to each other, aren't they?
Hoow can food be 'gay'?
Tuff kids will always find somehting to poke fun at.
Your lunch sounds fab.

brokenfurniture Tue 30-Jun-09 20:37:19

its not gay

bruxeur Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:13

Fairycakes and cream puffs are quite gay.

poopscoop Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:24

most things in our house are 'gay' everything i do is 'gay' everything i say is 'gay' yes we are going through the gay scene in ours at the moment. But hopefully they will grow out of it eventually.

LoveMyGirls Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:30

Take pride in knowing your child will be way cooler than those kids once she gets past college/ uni because cool kids at school are usually the ones who end up working in the chippy (massive generalisation)

cornsilk Tue 30-Jun-09 20:38:58

Do you sing with your eyes closed?

snigger Tue 30-Jun-09 20:39:17

I wouldn't worry - according to a ten-year old I overheard, the new railings at DDs school are also 'gay'. It's a broad church.

Toffeepopple Tue 30-Jun-09 20:39:19

How can food be gay?

The apricots fancied other apricots rather than fancying a banana?

Terrible. Help her see that the "tuff kids" are being stupid.

FAQinglovely Tue 30-Jun-09 20:39:48

WTF is a gay packed lunch?

pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:39:55

yeah, corns! Am partial to rustic knitting

SuperBunny Tue 30-Jun-09 20:40:38

How very bizarre. I had no idea food could be gay. Wow. She had crisps, and chocolate bar and a fairly conventional sandwich... nothing unusual about that, is there? What constitutes non-gay food then?

Poor DD. What did she say?

pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:40:42

By the way, we laughed heartily about it at the tea table. We is not utter weeds.

pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:41:30

oh bunny, I wouldn't call a kitkat a chocolate bar. You go too far wink

SarahL2 Tue 30-Jun-09 20:42:32

Grrrr, I hate the word 'Gay' being used as a derogatory term.

pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:42:35

Also, the favoured packed lunch for the tuff kids is

sandwich (which is not eaten)
bicuits
fizzy juice
tub of candy floss grin. Yes, tubs of candy floss for you rpacked lunch are very a la mode.

BitOfFun Tue 30-Jun-09 20:43:51

My dd (13) tells me that there is nothing gay about it, and that's what popular kids would eat. "Except maybe the muesli" - so now you know grin

pickyvic Tue 30-Jun-09 20:44:13

woooo thats not nice. little gits arent they sometimes. how does a packed lunch end up gay? or straight for that matter? tell her they are eejits.

(and whats rattled victoriascruptious cage?)

lucykate Tue 30-Jun-09 20:45:29

what were you thinking??, everyone knows on school trips you pack a dairylea lunchable and a can of coke wink

(am quite impressed that when you googles dairylea lunchables, this was what came up first!)

Morloth Tue 30-Jun-09 20:47:18

Kids are weird.

pointydog Tue 30-Jun-09 20:52:13

hi pickyvic.

(Just keep posting - people read but they don't often reply directly)

gymknicks Tue 30-Jun-09 20:52:38

I very very nearly stopped a guy at a station the other morning who was wearing a t-shirt with the slogan:

" Homosexuals Are Gay "

written on it.

Totally brilliant.

But then it occurred to me that he might be really really stupid and not all knowing and ironoic at all, and then I'd be talking to a weird bigot in the middle of a station at 8 in the morning....

Wish I had now tho', 'cause I want one.

Surely a gay packed lunch would be a bottle of lube, a couple of Peperamis and a condom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now