To put dd's names down for Scouts - DH thinks they are a "psuedo militaristic organisation that pledges allegiance to the monarchy and reinforces class divisions."

(335 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 08-May-07 18:54:43

I thought it was just camping and making fire

Hmm the Woodcraft Folk look so cult-ish

Aren't they allowed to cut their hair?

FrannyandZooey Tue 08-May-07 18:51:04

They are quite militaristic if you attend one of their ceremonies, it kind of takes you aback

the God thing does loom large as well

MrMariella Tue 08-May-07 18:50:45

Aren't Woodcarft folk just "pseudo-military........things" but without the shouting??

TheArmadillo Tue 08-May-07 18:50:13

I have a friend that runs scout/beaver/cubs groups and has recently written a history of his local scout movement.

From him I'd say

Yes the scouts have always been militaristic and will always contain part of that about them. I don't think you can deny that one sorry.

reinforces class divisions? Don't think so. Depends on the area the group is in as to the class makeup of the group. Friend has run at least one group that was paid for in a disadvantaged area where there was nothing else to do. Also in rural areas apparently there is sometimes no other groups or activities for children to join. I don't think class division is as much of an issue as it used to be.

Pledge allegience to the queen - yes I still think they do that.

I think he claims 2 out of the 3. Sorry.
I still think it is a good organisation now. Can you concentrate on the positive points.

Sorry - very old fashioned view IMO.
DD & DS go to cubs & scouts and love it! They do so much they could not do otherwise - night hikes, building fires, camping - lots of camping and generally having so much fun. Useful stuff too like learning to cook, taking responsibility for others and themselves. There is a "military angle" in that there is a bit of bringing to order at the begining and end of a session but teaches them there are times to shut up and times to be rowdy. We don't do church parade as we are not religous.

I don't understand reinforcing class divisions - people from all walks of life at ours - working to upper, able bodied and not and lots of different backgrounds.

Really good for letting kids be kids.

Have you looked at Woodcraft Folk - that might be more what you are after?

tissy Tue 08-May-07 18:48:58
MrMariella Tue 08-May-07 18:48:34

Are scouts uni-sex these days???

dd is in the brownies......I think dh has an historic point, but I suspect his position has been de-constructed by the advance of post-modern materialism. Or something like that.......

edam Tue 08-May-07 18:48:04

That's what my parents said. Managed to argue my way into the Guides after we moved house, though - my mother thought it would help me to make friends.

I can't say I ever noticed any quasi-militaristic stuff going on, although we did swear allegiance to the Queen. Didn't bother me or affect my view of politics.

tissy Tue 08-May-07 18:47:35

no, but neither is dh (sitting on fence emoticon). Perhaps there is a Woodcrraft Folk group near you- sounds like it would be more dh's thing. (Or you could put them down for Sea or Army Cadets, which really are militaristic, then Scouts would seem quite tame! )

morningpaper Tue 08-May-07 18:44:36

Well I thought that the Brownies and Scouts were okay but DH has objected that I have put their names down because they are "psuedo militaristic organisations that pledges allegiance to the monarchy and reinforces class divisions."

I told him they are probably full of working class Muslim eco-warrier children but he says no.

AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now