Not an AIBU, but asking if you can help me calm down

(41 Posts)
KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 18:54:30

I'm really worried I might have cervical cancer.

I've been having pains in pelvic area for around a week, the pain is pretty much constant but it fluctuates in intensity. My last period was much shorter than usual. I've had lower back pain for the past few days.

Recently been made a single parent, I'm on my own this weekend without DC and its all I can think about. I'm so hyper aware of my own mortality now I'm on my own and I feel really panicky now.

Can someone please hold my hand?

DerekSprechenZeDick Sat 24-Sep-16 18:55:33

Could you be pregnant?

If worried go to doctors

KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 18:57:01

No chance of pregnancy. I'm making an appt first thing on Monday but wondering whether I should go to drop in centre tomorrow I'm just so anxious

GreatFuckability Sat 24-Sep-16 18:57:35

the symptoms you describe are not likely to be cervical cancer related. have you had a smear test recently? any bleeding between periods?

whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Sat 24-Sep-16 18:58:01

Go to the doctor. Probably not cancer, but could be a lot of other things. Like pp said, could you be pregnant? The fluctuating in intensity could point to something else, like ovarian torsion. No point worrying though until a medical professional has investigated

Boundaries Sat 24-Sep-16 18:58:26

1) your symptoms don't match with cervical cancer
2) when was your last smear
3) do you have any wine?
4) X factor starts shortly, that's grim enough to take your mind off it

KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 18:59:41

Am due a smear in a month or so. Have had no bleeding between periods, but not sure what else the pain could be?

I know I'm probably jumping the gun, it's just hard when you've got no one to talk to about it to rationalise things

Pineapplemilkshake Sat 24-Sep-16 19:00:15

Your symptoms aren't typical of cervical cancer, it could be a lot of things e.g. Infection etc. It's probably best to see your own GP to get a proper examination, maybe bloods, swabs, urine culture etc, then further tests depending on these.

gamerchick Sat 24-Sep-16 19:02:55

Maybe a GUM clinic might be better than the GP. Quicker and that area is what they do.

Boundaries Sat 24-Sep-16 19:03:18

Could be any number of things. Go to doctor on Monday, or walk in if you are properly anxious.

Drink lots of water - maybe get some of those cranberry sachet things you can get for uti's just in case it's that?

featherpillow Sat 24-Sep-16 19:03:36

flowers. Like you've said, you're hyper aware of your mortality at the moment so you may be letting your mind run away with you.
Hope you feel better soon

KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 19:04:42

I have wine smile

I just can't shake the feeling, I've never had prolonged pain of this type before, and that coupled with the back pain and unusual period has made my mind race.

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 19:05:51

If cervical cancer caused pain it would be much easier to diagnose.

What you are describing could be any number of things - make an appointment to see your doctor and take a urine sample with you. Doing a pregnancy test in the meantime is not a bad idea.

Being a parent comes with its own set of anxieties, doesn't it? Must be worse when you are on your own thanks

Fleekorunique Sat 24-Sep-16 19:05:56

I get something very similar every month, it could be Ovulation pain. Its really horrible & worse than period pain sometimes.

Mybugslife Sat 24-Sep-16 19:10:32

I get exactly what u are describing every time I get a uti!
Get a GP app for Monday and take in a urine sample. See what the GP says. Try not to worry, as others have said the symptoms are not typical of cervical cancer xx

KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 19:13:03

Thank you for your reassurances everyone, I'm sorry for sounding like a mitherer.

I've not been sexually active for over 8 months so no possibility of pregnancy.

I think I'm quite in tune with my cycle so don't think its ovulation pain.

Could a miscarriage earlier this year be related?

YouTheCat Sat 24-Sep-16 19:16:02

Could be a water infection.

Make sure you drink plenty of clear fluids.

grumpysquash3 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:19:19

I think it is more likely to be an infection than cancer, but I do appreciate that you are worried.
If you feel worse tomorrow, go to the drop in; if it's the same, I would see the GP on Monday.
Please come back and let us know what they say x

Topanga1 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:20:55

Stress is causing your health anxiety which is feeding your stress - it's a bugger and might very well be the cause of your physical pain.

Alternate ibuprofen with paracetamol today and tomorrow then get yourself to the doctors for some reassurance.

Firsttimer82 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:22:04

You need your urine tested. Call 111 for some reassurance. You could go into a walk in centre tomorrow, just get there early. Being worried about something is a problem in itself. Just go first thing then you can stop worrying. Get Strictly on and chill out.

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 19:23:27

None of us here can diagnose you.

See a doctor in RL next week and when whatever is ailing you just now, consider seeking help about your anxiety.
It's a miserable way to live, feeling anxious thanks

PotteringAlong Sat 24-Sep-16 19:24:09

Stranger things have happened than people giving birth without knowing they're pregnant... smile

KeepItToYourselfPlease Sat 24-Sep-16 19:34:35

Thank you so much all, you have helped me feel a little less stressed ☺

UTI didnt really occur to me as I assumed I would have trouble and/or pain passing urine.

I'm currently taking 150mg of Sertraline Pacific, perhaps I need to consider reviewing that?

Pottering, I was pregnant back in Feb, but miscarried, no action since then so would have to be the immaculate conception! smile

ShouldHaveBeenJess Sat 24-Sep-16 19:35:52

Poor OP; you've had a pretty crappy year from the sound of things. Don't panic. Try to relax (crack open that wine!), could well just be a UTI but get to docs on Monday. Good luck!

GingerbreadLatteToGo Sat 24-Sep-16 19:45:15

Don't drink wine, drink lots of water. Boring I know, but flushing your system through might help & certainly won't hurt.

Sadly I've known several women with cervical cancer, your symptoms are not like any of theirs. Please try not to worry, it's bound to be something easily sorted 💐 Walk in tomorrow or GP Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now