Sneering husband

(33 Posts)
4seasons Mon 20-Jun-16 12:19:13

Just read out a new thread I had been reading to DH. He asked me in a sort of sneering way " where do you find these things ?"...as if to say " what rubbish is she reading now ". I objected to his tone and he responded by saying that he thought some of the threads were " complete fantasy ". Given that he volunteers with an organisation that helps people in difficulties I was amazed. I asked if they also " made things up ". He said I was being ridiculous. I'm thinking he can't cope with the idea that some men treat women terribly and just wants it all to go away. Perhaps I shouldn't share these posts with him ? Although he always wants to discuss his cases with me. He never divulges names etc. due to confidentiality issues. What do you think about his attitude ?

LightDrizzle Mon 20-Jun-16 12:26:01

Next time he shares a case, sneer, roll your eyes, and don't dignify his idle gossip with a verbal response.
Twat.
Does he perhaps think that he wrestles with real life problems day-to-day whilst you must indulge in Jeremy Kyle style voyeurism to add seasoning to your otherwise saccharine existence?
Smug twat.

acasualobserver Mon 20-Jun-16 12:26:16

Some of the threads on MM are complete fantasy.

OhNoNotMyBaby Mon 20-Jun-16 12:29:00

*sneering husband' is a red flag here - not the veracity of MN posts.

My exH used to sneer at me too - that's why he's now an ex

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 20-Jun-16 12:44:07

I would just be thinking he's not interested in what you do on MN and is wondering why you tell him about it.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in what other people do online in their free time. The sneering isn't very nice but maybe he's bored of hearing it?

And he's right. People do make up shit online, a lot. Especially on forums like AIBU.

peggyundercrackers Mon 20-Jun-16 12:44:12

I'm sure a lot of threads on here are complete fantasy, its the internet i.e. the land of make believe.

HelloHola Mon 20-Jun-16 12:51:21

YABU - sounds like you're picking a fight.

TrueBlueYorkshire Mon 20-Jun-16 13:02:46

I am always convinced that a lot of threads are made by people who are fantasists, immature, daft or have mental health problems. Otherwise i can't see how they get into the weird situations they seem to fall into.

PPie10 Mon 20-Jun-16 13:03:24

Yabu I think a lot of threads here are worthy of a sneer. Why does he have to pretend to be interested if he isn't?

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 20-Jun-16 13:12:52

Three posts in and 'red flag' has been mentioned. Is that some sort of record?

4seasons Mon 20-Jun-16 13:44:45

He can indeed be a smug twat at times and I do tend to come over a bit strong about gender issues. So , points taken.
I think next time he asks what I'm looking at online the catch-all "nothing" is how I am going to respond. I've also decided that when he is telling me about his cases ( at length , in detail , quite often deadly boring ) I shall " zone out" or change the subject. Don't see why I should feign interest if he can't return the favour now and then.
Must admit that he can be a bit pompous at times ( gets it from his father who used to patronise his SAHW constantly ). I do stick up for myself though ( a lot more since reading MN) and have been known to use phrases such as ... " who put you in charge of me ?" and " the one with the penis doesn't get the last word on everything ". ( Thank you Mumsnetters ). He sort of models himself on his dad I think and forgets occasionally that our situation is very different.

WorraLiberty Mon 20-Jun-16 13:48:56

He's right though, some threads on here are complete fantasy.

I'm not getting the comparison though, to him discussing his cases and things written on an anonymous internet forum?

Lupinlady5 Mon 20-Jun-16 13:49:28

Those "mumsnet phrases" are just cringeworthy. Sorry!

acasualobserver Mon 20-Jun-16 13:57:00

Sounds like his reaction to MN threads is a bit of a red herring and you feel sneered at more generally. That, obviously, can't be nice for you.

gobbynorthernbird Mon 20-Jun-16 14:04:51

It sounds like you're way too invested in this forum. There's a massive difference between discussing real life issues and stuff on here.

HopeArden Mon 20-Jun-16 14:05:49

It's polite to feign interest in the things your spouse is sharing with you - it's how social interraction works. I don't think many relationships would last if we always responded to normal conversation with 'what's this boring shit you are telling me'.

Your h sounds like a twat and you should tell him that he isn't endlessly fascinating either!

NavyAndWhite Mon 20-Jun-16 14:09:43

Christ on a bike I wouldn't dream of reading 99% of the stuff on here to DH.

He would definitely say it was utter nonsense.

NavyAndWhite Mon 20-Jun-16 14:10:25

I an surprised you've not been told to LTB.

NavyAndWhite Mon 20-Jun-16 14:12:00

Why are you boring him with MN stuff?

Leave the poor bastard to get on with his own thing.

EveryoneElsie Mon 20-Jun-16 14:13:10

Sneering at your partner is not a good sign. He wasnt just sneering at the posts, but at you.
Couples who laugh together stay together.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 20-Jun-16 14:14:05

There's tons of stuff on MN and the internet IS utter codswallopgrin

I don't think it's worth fighting with your husband over, it's a chat forum.

Sparklesilverglitter Mon 20-Jun-16 14:17:25

Some threads on mumsnet are fantasy, so his not wrong is he?

If you constantly tell him about threads on mumsnet, the poor guy is probably bored of hearing about them.

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 20-Jun-16 14:23:03

My DH was most amused when I recounted the 'bumhole colleague photo dilemma' thread.

PrivatePike Mon 20-Jun-16 14:28:48

"who put you in charge of me ?" and " the one with the penis doesn't get the last word on everything ". ( Thank you Mumsnetters ).

Sorry, I know this is great and worthy and all the rest, but cringe

whattodowiththepoo Mon 20-Jun-16 14:31:32

YABU he's right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now