To wonder if this is a slightly tasteless hen party theme...

(35 Posts)
HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 18-Jun-16 16:42:28

Just got back from shopping in the city centre, where I saw a hen party group. They were all dressed in camouflage jackets and trousers (the sort you get from an army surplus store) and were carrying inflatable machine guns. Now I realise the 'guns' were obviously inflatables, but the rest of the gear looked authentic. Whilst not wishing to be a killjoy, I thought it was pretty tasteless given the events of the last week. I can imagine them getting turned away from a lot of venues in my city too.

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 16:53:49

Strange theme for a hen party, not sure if it's tasteless or not. Are you sure they hadn't been paint balling or something similar? I can't imagine many hen parties wanting to go out on the town dressed in army gear.

champagneplanet Sat 18-Jun-16 17:01:56

Maybe the hen is in the military, or her DH to be?

HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 18-Jun-16 17:03:07

Definitely a hen party, as a couple were wearing sashes. Now I come to think of it, I remember someone doing it before but then went more for the "sexy camo" look, mini skirts etc. These lot had proper camouflage!

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:05:44

Well that's what I meant, I've seen lots of sexy/cutsey camo fancy dress. Especially on hen dos. But never a full on army gear!

They may have been paint balling or something though and that's why they were wearing these outfits, rather than it being a "theme".

RitchyBestingFace Sat 18-Jun-16 17:08:42

They were probably homaging Destiny's Child in the Survivor video

HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 18-Jun-16 17:15:05

RitchyBestingFace LOL in their dreams!

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sat 18-Jun-16 17:17:02

I'ld assume the hen was about to become an army wife?

I've seen a hen who was about to marry a farmer have a farmer fancy dress theme for her hen

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:17:14

grin

blitheringbuzzards1234 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:20:08

I'm assuming that the inflatable machine guns were bought long before the terrible events of this past week and maybe they just didn't give it much thought?

KateLivesInEngland Sat 18-Jun-16 17:21:15

I'm horrified at recent events but I can't get offended by inflatables, sorry.

2nds Sat 18-Jun-16 17:22:07

Maybe they were just wanting to have a laugh despite of what has been happening in the world. Nothing wrong with that.

BolshierAryaStark Sat 18-Jun-16 17:24:53

Nope sorry, can't see a problem.

KissMyArse Sat 18-Jun-16 17:26:45

Did the "events of the last week" include someone dressed in camo wielding a machine gun?

The Orlando shootings did indeed involve an automatic gun (not unusual for mass killings in the US) but I don't think he was wearing camouflage gear.

The man who killed Jo Cox didn't wear camo or have a machine gun.

I think you are being a bit oversensitive to be honest, though that's understandable.

mari652 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:43:26

'Slightly '? Utterly crass and tasteless.

scarlets Sat 18-Jun-16 17:50:11

You mean the appalling slaying of Jo Cox? I don't really see the link between a bunch of tipsy women in army fancy dress and a nutjob who lived with his nan.

ohtheholidays Sat 18-Jun-16 17:51:58

The bride to be is either in the military or OH to be is I would say.

My DH is a Police Officer and we all dressed up in uniform.
My Niece married a Fireman and they all dressed up in sexy fire women costumes for her hen party.

HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 18-Jun-16 17:55:00

My first thought when I saw them was that they were a group of Territorial Army women, but quickly realised not. I am used to seeing hen and stag parties, we get loads, it was just one of those (puzzled face) moments for me... It's such a horrible world now, really army people don't go out in their uniforms. I hope they have a good night though, I doubt there's much air left in the inflatables by now smile

KissMyArse Sat 18-Jun-16 17:58:11

'Slightly '? Utterly crass and tasteless.

Really?

Every day, somewhere in the world, there are people wearing camo shooting other people using machine guns. They are called soldiers.

Does that mean that nobody should ever wear army fancy dress?

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sat 18-Jun-16 17:59:25

I would have found it icky, I think. Possibly unreasonable of me, and I'm sure it's something totally sensible like either the bride or her groom (or bride) to be is military - but I'm still reeling from Orlando and wouldn't be able to see past that.

PovertyPain Sat 18-Jun-16 17:59:48

Would it have been ok if they were wearing miniskirts instead of trousers?

TheNaze73 Sat 18-Jun-16 19:02:12

Not seeing the issue here

PearSoup Sat 18-Jun-16 19:19:39

Hang on. Is it the guns that are the issue? They could have been dressed as Cowboys, James Bond, the Lone Ranger and they would have all had guns. Is it the camouflage? Can't see any particular relevance. Or is it the fact that they broke hen do etiquette and didn't dress up as something "sexy?"

TheNewSchmoo Sat 18-Jun-16 19:22:41

Young people? Having fun? Before they succumb to the constraints of marriage and children? They must be stopped. The bastards. How dare they! hmm

BumWad Sat 18-Jun-16 19:23:04

confused

Wouldn't have looked at them twice to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now