Cheer up love

(45 Posts)
Abbinob Sun 29-May-16 19:48:41

Fuck off.
I've been standing here for 8 fucking hours, going insane with boredom. Excuse me if I'm not grinning like a loon.
Why do people say this all the fucking time? Are you actually meant to just be smiling ALL THE TIME.
I once had to go to a toddler birthday party with a bunch of people I'd never met and after the 2 hours was up my face ached from all the fake smiling so like fuck am I doing that at work all day.
hmm
AIBU to think people(almost always men) should just stfu with their cheer up love, oh you look happy, it might never happen, bullshit?

Glitterspy Sun 29-May-16 19:49:49

Where were you standing for 8 hours?

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 29-May-16 19:50:05

I used to be a young, angry Goth. When men used to say, "it might never happen" I used to reply, "it just did" with a withering look.

It's just men policing our faces. Plus ca change...

JuxtapositionRecords Sun 29-May-16 19:51:38

There is no other sentence in the world that could be spoken that could give me the rage like this one does.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 29-May-16 19:51:56

Serena Williams kills it.

Abbinob Sun 29-May-16 19:52:23

Glitterspy- At a till, such is my glamorous life

simplysarcastic Sun 29-May-16 19:56:20

I was once sat in a traffic jam that stretched back for miles. After 2 hours I was pretty pissed off! A car beeped at me, I looked around and a man in the passenger seat of the car next to me was holding a sign saying "cheer up love"

It still gives me the rage angry who is happy sat in traffic? Idiot.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Sun 29-May-16 20:11:13

I hope you flipped him off, simplysarcastic!

sepa Sun 29-May-16 20:13:02

I have resting bitch face. I get this a lot angry

HerRoyalNotness Sun 29-May-16 20:15:48

simply that one would actually make me grin. But not otherwise

Pettywoman Sun 29-May-16 20:18:14

Simply, get yourself a 'fuck off' sign for the car. Actually, I think I might too.grin

ChaseAvenal Sun 29-May-16 20:20:11

I get this kind of thing a lot as my face isn't particularly emotive unless I try hard to convey it. The worst was "I think you dropped something......... Your smile..." I was actually in a good mood previously, but after that I was seriously fucked off angry

gentlydownthestreamm Sun 29-May-16 20:22:18

My blood is boiling for you OP, I can't STAND when I hear this, or even worse, 'give us a smile, love'.

I resolved a while back to never let these kind of remarks pass without comment, and have started answering back to them (yet to find the perfect retort that I can pull off as witheringly as I would like though). But I guess it's more difficult for you if you're at work, you can't just tell a customer to fuck off or similar...

Pinkheart5915 Sun 29-May-16 20:23:04

So you was at work behind a till didn't look happy and the customer told you to cheer up, can't a customer expect a smile now?

When not in work situation I understand why it annoys people me too often.

InUseAlready Sun 29-May-16 20:24:07

I was on my way back to my parents' to be with my mum as she died - dad had called that day and told me the end was close, so to hurry.

I stopped off at a newsagents on the way to buy a water and the twat who served me told me to 'cheer up, it might never happen'.

What a cunt.

MadamDeathstare Sun 29-May-16 20:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buttons23 Sun 29-May-16 20:25:57

When someone always says that I think of when my partner was at work and got told "cheer up mate it might never happen". That was the day after my 7 month old niece died.

One of those things where people really have to think before speaking.

sepa Sun 29-May-16 20:28:31

buttons that's so sad.
I bet the person has never said that sentence again!

MadamDeathstare Sun 29-May-16 20:28:38

MadamDeathstare Sun 29-May-16 20:29:37

TheWitchesofIzalith Sun 29-May-16 20:36:28

I have a slightly worried look as my resting face. I'm not worried all the time, it's just how my face is when I'm impassive.
So i get 'don't look so worried' all the time. Usually accompanied by a laugh, as if they think they have just said something SO amusing, and that NOBODY has ever said to me before.
It does grate after several years.

TheWitchesofIzalith Sun 29-May-16 20:39:30

*I only smile when I remember the blood' grin

bookbuddy Sun 29-May-16 20:44:59

grin I'm actually crying at the serial killer in the bleach aisle 😂😂😂

green18 Sun 29-May-16 21:24:37

I hate that comment. I obviously look bloody miserable when I'm perfectly happy, but hey, that's my face! what gives people(normally men) the right to criticise my facial expression when they don't know anything about me or my day. Once a man said as I stood on a travelator, " cheer up love, nobody died!" How the hell does he know?? Grrrr.

wheresthel1ght Sun 29-May-16 21:39:16

You say you were on a till which I assume means you were at work. In which case YABVU customer service is hugely important and a smile costs nothing. I loathe getting the till with the grumpy twat on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now