to be "sassy" to these fraudsters?

(62 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 14:59:50

I just had a phone call saying they are an accident company.
me: and what accident was I meant to be involved with?
scammers: (sheepishly) a car accident.
me: well I don't drive so when did this accident meant to have happened?
scammers: <hangs up>

did I upset him?

Nabootique Tue 10-May-16 15:13:42

I had pretty much the same thing. I pointed out how it was unlikely as I don't drive and they said "Oh. Okay then!" and rang off! grin

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Tue 10-May-16 15:15:14

Ask if the accident was fatal.

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 15:24:44

I wished I carried on with saying that the accident must have been a big one and playing along with them.

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 10-May-16 15:40:17

I usually say something along the lines of "but I only shit myself! It's happened to loads of people! I had a bad belly! I cleaned up! It wasn't that bad! Noooo! " they've usually hung up by the time I've finished wailing and lamenting.

Same goes for computer virus scam people "A computer is the work of the devil! Never trust something if you can't see where it keeps it's brain! Robots will take over the world and then we will all perish!" I've started singing the Lords prayer down the phone before now.

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 16:03:40

I would love to be a fly on the wall after they heard you say that.

I should have made a name up and a scenario.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-May-16 16:05:57

My friend messes with these idiots. She uses a new line every time. It's her hobby!

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 16:09:28

I need to make stories up for every time they call.

"I didn't know farting in a cup was an accident, I done it on purpose"

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 16:10:08

"do I still get compensation?"

IJustLostTheGame Tue 10-May-16 16:13:19

I love these calls.
Usually I fake cry and say stuff like my God I don't remember, am I OK? But I haven't been given my licence back yet, will I get into trouble? Or I say it's OK, I don't need any more money. The car was stolen anyway, it was our getaway from the bank job we did. I pranged it whilst escaping the pigs.

I'm always hung up on.

agentmarmalade Tue 10-May-16 16:18:47

i love playing along with these scammy calls.

Ages ago, my kids were thrilled to hear me engage one of these callers, very convincingly in conversation
"Yes, i have had an accident, did the insurance company call? I'm so glad you called, it was such a serious accident, i've had all three legs amputated."

the guy slammed the phone down. but my kids often re-enact the call for amusement!

the longer the conversation goes on the better in my opinion.

"Ive had my skull amputated" is another one.

petalsandstars Tue 10-May-16 16:19:01

Windows scammer told me I had a problem with my computer .....but I don't have a computer was my response . ...... obviously not on their script as he hung up.

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 16:21:47

Haha I like that ijustlostthegame

damn-I've lost the game -.- I only started today too.

slug Tue 10-May-16 16:34:00

I usually end up asking them if their parents are proud of the fact they scam vulnerable people for a living.

cityrat79 Tue 10-May-16 16:47:04

I asked them if it was the accident which caused the amnesia which meant I could no longer remember the accident.

They said yes.

atigerinmytank Tue 10-May-16 16:54:37

Slug that's what I ask too - I suggest a scenario where their parents are at a dinner and they are saying 'our Johnny we are so proud of him scamming poor souls. It's what we brought him up to do'

HighwayDragon1 Tue 10-May-16 17:07:01

I say "ooohh yes I have, a car accident, it was so bad I died" you hear the hesitation and then they hang up halo angrybird

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 17:34:48

I can't believe they say yes to what you say city

I too also think if their parents are proud of what they're doing. what if it was a little old lady?

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 17:38:05

I should reply with this next time

"the only accident I've ever had was answering this call. good day" then hang up

minionsrule Tue 10-May-16 17:55:51

Now I don't like these calls anymore than anyone else but it's a bit harsh to call them scammers and ask if their mothers are proud of them.
They are trying to drum up business so cold call in the hope they catch someone who has actually had an accident - they are not asking you to lie. Yes they are lying saying you have had an accident but if you haven't you are not going to be fooled into giving lots of false information hmm

YouTheCat Tue 10-May-16 18:02:34

With the 'there's a problem with Windows on your computer' ones, I tell them I've got a Mac I haven't, but they don't know that .

ChaostheCat Tue 10-May-16 18:05:16

Have been known to respond the the accident calls with 'it wasn't accident you know.....' They usually hang up.

DailyMaui Tue 10-May-16 18:06:26

Aahhhh we just had one! I was asked if I'd had an accident and I immediately wailed "I've had an accident? Nobody told me! Why! Oh my god" etc. Then I put the phone on speaker and had the kids become increasingly hysterical.
Kudos to the caller as he kept trying to break through our hysterics to no avail!
gringringrin

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 18:08:44

there has been stories where they have took details and done fraud.

what would happen if you say you have a mac but they keep going on about windows? that's why your mac isn't working it's got windows on it xD

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 10-May-16 18:11:24

what you've had an accident and nobody told you. who would do such a thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now