Unreasonable or ungrateful?

(40 Posts)
HackerFucker22 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:37:37

DP had planned to take DC1 out for the day today with friends (his mate has 2 boys similar age to our son who is 3.5) for ages. Nothing concrete was ever planned though.

At 11am today DP gets a call and they are being picked up in half an hour... All good, I make them some sandwiches and pack them off.

It's 7.30pm and they aren't back. DC has school tomorrow he is full time at preschool so would normally be in bed by now

I've had some messages with DP who is saying it's just a "one off" and as they got a lift he can't dictate when they leave..... He said his friend went to a lot of trouble to get a spare car-seat etc and is insinuating I'm being ungrateful.

They went to a seaside resort about an hours drive away.

Aibu to think this was bad planning and my son is going to be shattered all week now?

SweetieDrops Sun 17-Apr-16 19:40:33

I think as a one-off it's not that big a deal, he can go to bed earlier tomorrow if he's that tired, "shattered all week" is a bit OTT.

BillSykesDog Sun 17-Apr-16 19:41:12

Er, no. YABU. It's a one off, it's a favour from a friend. You're totally overeacting.

Mysteryfla Sun 17-Apr-16 19:41:55

It's a one off, you're being rediculous.

FunkyPeacock Sun 17-Apr-16 19:42:48

Assuming it's a one off I would let it go personally (assuming they return soon-ish!)

It's not the end of the world if a 3.5 yo is a bit sleepy at pre - school

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 17-Apr-16 19:43:22

Oh come on don't be silly! Your child won't be shattered all week, he will have a had lovely day out with his dad and friends and at worst may need an early night tomorrow. It's very mean spirited of you to make your dp feel bad over this

Lilaclily Sun 17-Apr-16 19:43:24

Preschool isnt school though?

Why would he be shattered 'all week'
How old is he ?
Will he nap in the day ?

He's probably asleep in the car and if you're lucky he might be transferable straight to bed

Spandexpants007 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:44:52

I can see that it could have a knock on effect exhaustion wise. However just put the kid to bed early Monday and Tuesday

OhForTheLoveOfGin Sun 17-Apr-16 19:45:28

YABVVU. One night late to bed will do him no harm whatsoever. Don't ruin their nice day for them.

Pearlmum1 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:45:56

Yabu sorry, they've probably had a great day and it's a one off. Your DC will be a but tired maybe but it's only going to be one day. Try not to stress about bedtime!

Peppapogstillonaloop Sun 17-Apr-16 19:47:53

You are being a bit pfb about this sorry! So what if he is tired at preschool he could have a little nap there? Unless he turns into a raging demon for an entire week due to one late bedtime?!

muchaboca Sun 17-Apr-16 19:50:26

I assume they are on their way back now? One off lateish night wouldn't bother me particularly though I might have checked timings before they left

jimijack Sun 17-Apr-16 19:50:42

Take it from me, it's not a big deal, it's nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.
Stop fretting.

I was a freak with routines with my first boy. It was absolutely for nowt, nothing but to stress me out, make me unreasonable and a pain in the arse. I know this now.

It will be fine. I promise.

Passmethecrisps Sun 17-Apr-16 19:51:30

Try to chill out about this. If you plan to have any life at all you will need to be a touch more flexible about things. When they get home if ds isn't already asleep all the sea air will zonk him right out. He might be a bit cranky tomorrow but you can plan and have an early night tomorrow.

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 17-Apr-16 19:51:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 17-Apr-16 19:52:42

Yabu. It's a one off!

HackerFucker22 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:54:44

He is full time at preschool (so 9am-3.15pm, 5 days per week. Got his FT place early!!) and doesn't, as a rule, nap. The staff do let them nap if they fall asleep though!! DS is more often than not exhausted when he gets home and a hard to keep awake some days. He needs his 12 hours.

My issue is more to do with the timing. Why wait until almost midday to drive to the seaside?

I assume we'll have to do bath etc when they get home. DP didn't actually say they'd had dinner either.

But yep maybe I'm being a bit ott. DS is pfb shock

HackerFucker22 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:55:50

I've had a letter about his preschool attendance already - started a thread about it as I was so bemused!!

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 17-Apr-16 19:59:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ViewingEnded Sun 17-Apr-16 20:01:41

Why does he need a bath, bathe him to tomorrow.

Squiff85 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:15:27

Its only pre-school, I wouldn't stress. He has probably had a blast!

sixinabed Sun 17-Apr-16 20:16:24

If it was me I would be relishing every child free minute. But then mine would be asleep in the car and put straight to bed without waking them.

Pre-school is not obligatory so if you don't work you could keep him off or take him in late tomorrow. Haven't read your other thread sorry - but although they prefer them to be there for their allocated hours they cannot make you.

Floggingmolly Sun 17-Apr-16 20:17:08

Shattered all week?? It's play school, not real school. They won't be doing trigonometry, they'll just be playing like he would if he stayed at home confused

Sirzy Sun 17-Apr-16 20:17:47

he has been for a day our, sometimes it's nice not to be constrained by routines. As a one off it shouldn't be a problem

Bogeyface Sun 17-Apr-16 20:18:34

I would enjoy the peace and keep him off tomorrow so he can sleep in.

But I say this as a mother of 6, when it was PFB I would probably have gone OTT too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now