to think Corbyn is dead in the water

(436 Posts)
oldshilling Tue 15-Sep-15 18:39:56

Yes he's a nice chap with a nice beard, but silliness (principled though it might be) like refusing to sing the national anthem is not going to endear him to more than a small minority of the population.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34263447

And the signs are that he intends to be the gift that keeps on giving, in terms of pointless gestures that don't really achieve anything but make him a mega-target for the right-wing press.

Either he gets turfed out before the next GE, or he surpasses Michael Foot as the biggest loser in Labour's history.

Spotifymuse Tue 15-Sep-15 18:42:18

Why doesn't he sing the National Anthem?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 15-Sep-15 18:43:44

The Libs Dems must be ecstatic. There is finally a point to them. They get to be the party of the centre left now that Labour is the party of the hard left.

oldshilling Tue 15-Sep-15 18:44:09

Spotifymuse: he wants to abolish the monarchy.

Oakmaiden Tue 15-Sep-15 18:44:20

He's not the only one. I do think it is disrespectful - Jonathon Edwards (MP for Carmarthen East) was guest speaker at the LLandovery College Speech Day and sang the Welsh National Anthem, but stood in stony silence during the British one.

I am liking Corbyn's policies rather more than I expected, though... Sadly I suspect you ar correct, and he won't get far. But then, he has already got further than most thought he could, so who knows...

Suburbanutopiaitisnt Tue 15-Sep-15 18:44:31

Hun yabu.

I'd refuse to do all that wank for the queen. Leach of British assets and as never had an opinion on anything.

badgergirl82 Tue 15-Sep-15 18:45:20

He is showing he has convictions and that he is willing to stand by those convictions.

Admittedly, I find it easy to say this as I wholeheartedly agree with him. And so do many others.

Fraggled Tue 15-Sep-15 18:45:42

But if he stood there and sang along he would be a massive hypocrite. Granted he would fit in well, but I respect him for not joining in with all the pomp and nonsense.

RainbowFlutterby Tue 15-Sep-15 18:46:23

But he's been appointed as a member of QE's Privy Council! confused

overthemill Tue 15-Sep-15 18:46:26

I don't sing the national anthem either nor do I swear on the Bible in court. Why is that silliness? He is a republican and it would be hypocritical to sing along to it. Mind you, not sure how you get away without swearing allegiance to the Monarch

CheekyMaleekey Tue 15-Sep-15 18:47:24

Good for him. We need more politicians with principles.

Littlecaf Tue 15-Sep-15 18:47:31

I know he's principled but he could at least sing it for the sake of the Labour Party. We all know he's Republican, he doesn't need to not sing. I was hoping to like him but he might just be a complete failure. What a waste of a good politician.

araiba Tue 15-Sep-15 18:47:32

didn't he justwin the leadership election with a record majority? hardly dead in the water is he?

Hassled Tue 15-Sep-15 18:47:54

I do fret about the backfiring of the pointless gestures. He lives in a constitutional monarchy where most people have a deep affection for the monarchy. Refusing to sing the anthem is just going to piss a lot of people off for no discernible political gain. It's good that he's principled, but he needs to balance that against pragmatism, and I just don't think he's able to do that - which is admirable really, but not effective in terms of winning elections.

oldshilling Tue 15-Sep-15 18:48:32

It wasn't about the Queen though, it was a commemoration for the Battle of Britain. The fact that you might not agree with the lyrical content of the national anthem is not particularly important, compared with its use on a day commemorating the few remaining Battle of Britain pilots.

GiddyGiddyGoat Tue 15-Sep-15 18:50:05

Yes, very shocking when someone acts honestly in accordance with their long and sincerely held beliefs!
After becoming habituated to all those hard to tell apart toadying smarm merchant politicians we have had to choose between for years...
Shocking and refreshing. Bring it on Jezza.

PermetsTu Tue 15-Sep-15 18:50:45

He does not want to abolish the monarchy. Personally, yes maybe but he's not making it into policy.

I'm really tired of the bleating about how he hasn't done anything and he's sinking fast and why hasn't he done x, y and z yet. He's been leading the opposition for 48hrs.

I wish people would just back off for a second. I actually don't think the way we treat people in the public eye is anything short of bullying.

Egosumquisum Tue 15-Sep-15 18:52:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Tue 15-Sep-15 18:52:39

Next year he will decide that his health is not up to it and retire . . . the the House of Lords?

FriendofBill Tue 15-Sep-15 18:54:03

Start as you mean to go on.

Shock! A politician with the courage of their convictions not playing to the media.

Did you see Cameron in the refugee tent, shirt open, Corbyn style. Hypocrite.

Varya Tue 15-Sep-15 18:54:25

No charisma, can't win GE in 2020

FriendofBill Tue 15-Sep-15 18:55:15

Oh, YABU.

GiddyGiddyGoat Tue 15-Sep-15 18:55:33

Charisma is in the eye of the beholder Vara wink

0pheliaBalls Tue 15-Sep-15 18:55:59

Yabu OP.

I don't sing the national anthem either. Why would I sing 'God save the Queen' when I think that she - and the rest of her useless, pointless, scrounging family - should be done away with? Not killed done away with, abolished done away with. To clarify.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, frankly - if he doesn't sing it he's disrespectful and making a pointless gesture, if he does he's a hypocrite. Personally I'm bloody glad that at last we have a politician who sticks to his principles.

I voted for him and will again come 2020.

CheekyMaleekey Tue 15-Sep-15 18:57:51

Hassled, "most people" do not have a "deep affection" for the monarchy. Far from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now