to feel uncomfortable about young child nude in the garden

(45 Posts)
mrsfuzzy Mon 16-Jun-14 23:54:19

went to a friends the other day for a bbq with family had a great time, as people started leaving my friends daughter [4] wet herself and proceeded to strip off in front of my family and hers, was i bu to feel abit uncomfortable about this, especially as their garden is over looked by a lot of windows and no effort was made to put a swim costume or undies on her, o.k probably being prissy but i had to take my kids and leave, my friend was ok with us going as the party was winding down but it seemed strange as there were several men present who were not family members and the fathers mates from the pub. aibu to feel awkward ? was abused as a child so possibly more aware of potential problems.

Canthisonebeused Tue 17-Jun-14 00:34:24

Good luck OP.

slightlyglitterstained Tue 17-Jun-14 00:40:31

Another good luck and flowers from me, mrsfuzzy.

Elderflowergranita Tue 17-Jun-14 00:42:12

Good for you mrsfuzzy. I agree with everything that's been said above.

You sound like a wonderfully strong person. Best of luck - this may be the beginning of shrugging off a huge and painful part of your past. x

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 17-Jun-14 00:44:17

Best of luck getting help op flowers

NoisyToyHell Tue 17-Jun-14 06:46:06

Brilliant OP, I really hope you get the peace you deserve flowers

fortyplus Tue 17-Jun-14 08:27:25

Good luck mrsfuzzy smile fwiw I think mine started covering up in the garden when they were 6 or 7.

There was once an issue raised re another pupil at their school and social services advised that most children will avoid being naked in front of others by the time they're 9.

Melonbreath Tue 17-Jun-14 09:02:03

Yabu for me, but with your history I'd say yanbu for you.

dd was charging about naked on the beach two weeks ago, she was so happy. I think it's a shame kids can't be
More naked. Where my mates live in Greece kids charge about the beach naked all the time, it's just the done thing.

callamia Tue 17-Jun-14 09:05:33

Good for you Fuzzy. Today is the first day of the rest of your life and all that...

everlong Tue 17-Jun-14 09:10:38

I think you're right OP.

I don't have any daughters but if I had and she had wet herself I would have changed her into clean knickers if there were other people at home.
Not because I have dubious thoughts about them but so they didn't feel uncomfortable.

capitalC Tue 17-Jun-14 09:11:21

yanbu i feel the same

m0therofdragons Tue 17-Jun-14 09:14:20

Oh blimey, my dc get naked all the time. Yabu to assume everyone is a pervert. They're in their own garden. Presume as you've had children you've seen them naked and I presume you don't see them as sexual shop why is there an issue? Dtds stripped on the beach last weekend and ran naked in front of strangers. They're children!

fromparistoberlin73 Tue 17-Jun-14 09:14:34

was abused as a child so possibly more aware of potential problems.

I am ever so sorry to read that OP, and I think this does condition your response. In general yabu, but I do understand why

good luck xxxxx

fledermaus Tue 17-Jun-14 09:15:27

My 4 year old is naked in the garden a lot and it wouldn't occur to me to insist he covers up. I think it's fine up until about 8/once the child is self conscious.

OwlCapone Tue 17-Jun-14 09:15:37

Good to hear, OP smile

I think your view is skewed by your experiences - everybody's view is skewed by their experiences! My personal experience is that it wasn't a problem when I was a child.

magimedi Tue 17-Jun-14 09:17:55

Very best of luck, Fuzzy & I hope you get all the help you need.

flowers

everlong Tue 17-Jun-14 09:22:15

Motherofdragons the OP was abused as a child. I think this could contribute to why she feels the way she does.

I wasn't abused as a child but I would still not let a daughter run around naked in front of anyone other than family. I know if my DH and 14 year old DS had seen this it would have made them uncomfortable.

I wouldn't let a 4 year old girl run around naked on a beach either.

ColdCottage Tue 17-Jun-14 09:29:04

YABU My DSis and I regularly ran around in the garden (and on the beach at times) with nothing on in the summer.

There is nothing wrong with nudity. Children should feel free to do this. I remember how much I loved it on a hot summers night if it rained, to take my nighty off and run round the garden in the nude. I probably did this until 7 or 8 when I started to get a bit shy.

Like others have said it is only a teeny tiny % of people who would look at children in an inappropriate way and would do this whatever.

Branleuse Tue 17-Jun-14 09:31:50

im glad youre going to try and talk to someone about your feelings here. Naked children is pretty normal and ok. The vast vast majority of people wouldnt even give it a second thought.
Im sorry you suffered abuse and its still affecting you now x

ColdCottage Tue 17-Jun-14 09:36:00

Sorry OP on first read missed that you had been abused. I am so sad about that but am pleased to read further down that you have turned a massive corner in your life to get support. That is wonderful and all from a thread here where you were able to express your worries.
I hope you get all the support you want. You are very brave to share this all.
Take care.

Good luck OP x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now