To eat meat every day?

(136 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 01-May-14 13:58:47

And ask you for easy alternatives?

Theres just me and DH. I would happily go without meat most days but he prefers meat. Not that he would dare complain....

We do have fish once a week, and omlette once a week but that sometimes has ham or bacon in it.

I do all the cooking and am late home weekdays so tend to go for grilled meat with new potatos and veg as its quick and easy. Or chilli/bolognaise

Any suggestions?

sarinka Thu 01-May-14 14:55:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 14:57:50

Replacing the grilled meat is an issue for people who want to be wholly vegetarian OP. Do the stuff that is easy to adapt, if you just want to cut back.

manicinsomniac Thu 01-May-14 15:23:26

Not excessive or unreasonable at all! I have both meat and fish every day and I still fit it (easily with lots of room to spare) within a 1200 calorie meal plan so hardly excessive!

I eat a chicken wrap for every single lunch and salmon or tuna vegetable stirfry for every single dinner (unless I'm going out for either of course but I'd still have chicken or fish).

Personal choice. I don't see any problem in it.

SlimJiminy Thu 01-May-14 15:28:38

How about making cottage pie, lasagne or chilli with veggie mince instead of normal mince? You could do it without telling DH and see if he notices?!

RiffyWammal Thu 01-May-14 16:01:19

I eat a paleo diet so enjoy meat every day, often twice a day. The paleo diet has proven health benefits, and eating meat is not harmful - it's what we are designed to eat after all. I don't eat great heaps of meat though, my plate is about 1/4 meat and the rest vegetables, nuts and fruit. Fair enough if you want to risk compromising your own health because of concerns about the environment/animal cruelty, but I think those beliefs are mistaken. Here is a good article explaining why.

Since starting paleo I eat no processed food, the manufacture of which has a big impact on the environment, and I also throw less food and packaging away. I don't eat any dairy either, the production of which emits greenhouse gasses. I wonder if people who advocate eating less meat also purposely consume less dairy?

Veggie pizza is delicious, quick and easy. Mushroom risotto. Baked portobello mushrooms with garlic butter (these are quite "meaty" in texture). All sorts of lovely veggie pilaffs. DH does a fab couscous with roasted butternut squash. All sorts of nice soups (home made leek and potato is our favourite) with crusty bread. Nigella does a great recipe of roasted squash with blue cheese - very rich and perfect for a meat eater. Tofu is great i things like Thai curry or stir fries. I like the Linda McCartney vegetable pies that can be served with mash and veg for a more traditional and easy meal in the week.

We're not completely veggie but many of our friends are (and vegan) and we only buy meat/game when it's high welfare so in practice we tend to eat it at the weekend or very occasionally midweek, and we eat fish occasionally too. There are so many lovely veggie recipes around now and it's easy to find great ingredients.

MaidOfStars Thu 01-May-14 16:07:54

it's what we are designed to eat after all

Really? You could take down a gazelle with your mighty claws and razor-sharp canines? wink

TulipOHare Thu 01-May-14 16:22:53

I have meat or fish most days, but find a jacket potato with hummus a perfectly good dinner if I'm looking to spend less.

I read somewhere (don't know where) that some Asian cultures use meat more as a condiment than as the basis of the meal. So for example, they'll have a rice-and-veg based meal with a few slivers of beef or pork to add flavour and protein. Thought that seemed like a good compromise.

Using bone broth / stock is also a good way to give a meaty flavoursomeness to rice, noodles or even pasta. I like to cook brown rice in stock for 45 minutes or so, then quickly stir-fry it with a beaten egg and some veg. It's delicious.

BolshierAyraStark Thu 01-May-14 16:37:06

We too eat mainly meat & fish with an occasional veg pasta bake or mushroom risotto etc.

Loverdose Thu 01-May-14 16:55:13

I eat meat most days. I try to eat healthily though so it's usually white meat or fish. When I make chilli or lasagne I use quorn mince. It tastes just the same! I made a chilli once for ex (Who is of the opinion that all veggie food is crap) using quorn and I pretended it was beef mince. He couldn't even tell the difference! ;)

ginaschmeena Thu 01-May-14 17:15:16

Lanabelle
You put dead bodies in your mouth
You really can't call yourself fussy I'm afraid.

dead bodies grin jesus

ginaschmeena Thu 01-May-14 17:16:36

riffy
Humans weren't designed to eat meat - sorry
www.rense.com/general20/meant.htm
One of many studies that show we aren't natural carnivores
Just because we can kill animals and eat them it doesn't mean we should.

ginaschmeena Thu 01-May-14 17:17:03

Dead bodies, yes. That's what meat is. Sorry.

Andrewofgg Thu 01-May-14 17:19:04

And other food is dead plants. What can we bloody eat?

Humans weren't 'designed' we evolved so that's one point.

And we're not carnivores, we're omnivores.

CoteDAzur Thu 01-May-14 17:31:23

Of course we are omnivores - our bodies benefit from eating meat as well as fruits & vegetables.

CoteDAzur Thu 01-May-14 17:39:27

From that Rense link:

"Dr. Neal D. Barnard, PCRM's founder and president, says humans lack the raw abilities to be good hunters. "We are not quick, like cats, hawks or other predators," he says. "It was not until the advent of arrowheads, hatchets and other implements that killing and capturing prey became possible.""

Dr Bernard needs to read a book called Born To Run and learn about something called 'persistence hunting'. Does he think the human race survived on berries and grass until arrowheads etc were invented? hmm

Food for thought.

Andrewofgg Thu 01-May-14 17:46:08

We evolved the intelligence to make arrowheads and hatchets. And to make and control fires to cook meat. Let's all enjoy what we enjoy and not attack or jeer at people whose tastes lie in other directions, ffs.

We tend to have meat about 3 times a week and eat vegetarian the rest for both health and cost reasons.

I make a lovely green lentil sauce which DH prefers to meat bolognese which is very tasty and planning on having North African butternut squash and chickpea stew next week from Hugh F-W veg book which is very substantial.

Nottalotta Thu 01-May-14 17:49:51

Well thanks all.

I would like to reduce the amount of meat we eat so will make a start with replacing mince and see how we get on.

Nottalotta Thu 01-May-14 17:50:40

Sounds like the Hugh F-W book is a good start too.

motherinferior Thu 01-May-14 17:50:40

We are ominvores, but daily meat-eating isn't a sustainable pursuit. Even if you're only eating the most ethically sourced meat and have no qualms about the fact it is, after all, an animal corpse.

I do eat meat these days but certainly not every day; and yes, in answer to a previous poster, I also make a fair effort to eat a number of vegan meals. Can't imagine eating meat every day.

I am, incidentally, an excellent cook.

We like the high book and cook from it every week (tomorrow night having goats cheese and veg frittata from it as well!). I think you either love or hate it - I got it out the library before buying it.

sarinka Thu 01-May-14 17:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now