ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

About Weetabix portion size?

(61 Posts)
JammyTodger Mon 17-Feb-14 10:23:34

DH thinks I am over-feeding 4yo DS by giving him 2 Weetabix for breakfast. He is a slim boy and always hungry. Surely 2 Weetabix isn't excessive?? How many do your 4 yo boys eat?

thenamestheyareachanging Mon 17-Feb-14 22:33:10

My 1 year old eats 2 weetabix and a banana for breakfast. 4 year old has a slice of toast as well. They're both on the skinny side.

JammyTodger Mon 17-Feb-14 22:49:20

No sugar in our house, Hilda. DS sometimes has fruit puree or banana on top, but he's happy without.

I think DH is worried that because I am fat big-boned, DS has inherited my fat gene. I could u derstand his fears if I was feeding him chocolate biscuits for breakfast, but it's sodding Weetabix ffs.

Velma67 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:57:30

My five year old has four but it keeps him going all day as he will rarely have more than a bit of fruit for lunch. (And yes, I have tried cutting down breakfast but he still eats bugger all lunch.)

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 17-Feb-14 22:58:34

No sugar here either unless I'm feeling rough, in which case I have a dessertspoonful per Weetabix.

I used to need sugar on them but it really isn't necessary. Adding fruit instead is enough. Weirdly warm milk on them makes them tastier/sweeter than cold. NFI why.

elfycat Mon 17-Feb-14 22:59:18

DD1 (5) will have 2.5 and DD2 (3) has 2 weetabix if that's breakfast of choice. Often with toast as a starter. They're tall and slim, and forever hungry.

Always use full fat options on dairy. If I don't they whine for 'something to eat' all day so it does make a big difference. I've also worked out that I use so much less FF milk in my tea that I'm saving calories overall compared to my skimmed milk days.

deakymom Mon 17-Feb-14 23:11:37

mine has two all the time he is just five i think he has had two since he was about two/three

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 18-Feb-14 08:17:51

Bleurgh! No sugar ever.

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:37:07

Our DS weetabix portion has been 2 weetabix since he was at least 3 years old. And that's what he calls "first breakfast" that he has about 6:30am, he may then have "second breakfast" an hour later which is 2 slices of toast. He's always on the go and has always been slim so obviously just needs it and burns it off quickly!

falulahthecat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:43:07

I just died a bit inside after reading that even a 6 year old can get a 6 pack, but I can't get rid of my 'rubber ring'...

pianodoodle Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:46

DD will eat 2 easily and has done since she was two. Haven't had weetabix in for ages will have to get some now!

She doesn't have an inch thick layer of sugar on the top like me though blush

Bonsoir Tue 18-Feb-14 08:46:47

Weetabix are not a contributing factor to the obesity crisis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now