To think that school children should have easy access to drinking water?

(298 Posts)
Schnullerbacke Wed 05-Feb-14 10:36:16

I'm sure this has been done before so apologies.

My DD (7) has just had a new teacher who changed the routines around a bit. They are now only allowed to drink water at lunch and are not allowed to quickly grab their bottles whilst going down / coming back up from break time or assembly. This is apparently done so they won't have to go to the toilet too often (which is just outside their door).

I think its a bit out of order but before I have a word I wanted to check whether IABU. I know its important to stay hydrated and I don't think this is achieved by drinking before school start and only then drinking again some 3 hours later.

Nobody needs to be drinking water all the time.

Having some available at break and lunch should be sufficient. As an adult, in my job, I can't just wander off and get a drink whenever I feel like it. I can only get a drink on my breaks. I haven't withered away yet.

I also totally understand how disruptive it must be to have kids constantly asking to go the toilet.

Stinklebell Wed 05-Feb-14 12:20:14

I think they should have access to a drink if they need it, at least at break/lunch times

DD2 in primary and has a water bottle which is kept in a big tray in the cloakroom/sink area and they're allowed to access it whenever they need it. DD2 does have issues with concentration and sitting still though, so uses I need a drink, usually followed by I need a wee, every 5 minutes as an excuse to have a bit of a break/wander around, so her teacher will ask her if she's sure she really needs a drink/wee, half the time she'll go back to her seat - she's been given a 'fiddler' now which has cut down the constant drinking followed by constant toilet trips

DD1 is in high school, has a water bottle which she carries and drinks when she needs to, usually between lessons. There are also water fountains dotted about in school so she can refill her bottle if she needs to

Feminine Wed 05-Feb-14 12:24:52

Children are so heavily tested/ made to perform these days.

test after flipping test.

If they want water by their sides, they should have.

It makes no difference what happens to us when we go to work confused we are talking about children

I can't honestly see how having it at their sides can cause any problems.

DS gets the chance to have a drink from his bottle at the end of each lesson and of course break and lunch times.

Hydration requirements are different for children, they can get dehydrated much more quickly than adults.

curlew Wed 05-Feb-14 12:35:33

1. If they are going to the loo a lot it means they are not "dehydrated"- peeing is what the body does to get rid of excess liquid. (Incidentally, I do find the use of "dehydrated" to mean "a child in the privileged developed world who hadn't had a drink between breakfast and break" rqther cringeworthy).
2. The research into the need for continuous drinking is a) largely debunked and b) was funded by the bottled water industry.
3)Children do not turn into a desiccated pile of constituent chemicals if they have to wait 90 minutes between drinks.

BullieMama Wed 05-Feb-14 13:04:28

Tryy working or volunteering in a school and you will soon see why unfettered access to water is discouraged other than at break times
To describe children as dehydrated in our country is insulting to those who don't have access to clean drinking water across the world

I always think of Spongebob Squarepants when people fret about healthy children (and adults) going without a drink for longer than an hour or two.

I wonder if these are the same children who melt if they get a little wet in the rain?

Obviously a reasonable intake of fluids is a good thing, but there is also an awful lots of bollocks talked about it.

Feminine Wed 05-Feb-14 14:13:12

I regularly volunteer in my daughter's school. I still think water should be unrestricted.

Misspixietrix Wed 05-Feb-14 14:16:10

YNBU. Both my DCs Classes (one Infants and one Junior) have trays of All the Children's Water Bottles right next to the Classroom sink. ..which they can grab throughout the day.

curlew Wed 05-Feb-14 14:20:37

"I still think water should be unrestricted."

Why?

DeWe Wed 05-Feb-14 14:30:54

If dd2 could have unrestricted access to her water bottle then she would spend half of all lesson times, drinking, fiddling with th water bottle, filling it up again, going to the toilet, letting it roll off her desk, going to fetch it, complaining someone else pushed it off...

I'm glad they have the sensible arrangement that they can have (or even are encouraged) a drink at break, lunch, and with permission at other times.
Having it on the desk with her, or ongoing permission to get up and get the drink any time, would not be helpful. She's in year 5.

lilyaldrin Wed 05-Feb-14 14:56:48

Isn't it bizarre that so many people think babies should be able to go 3-4 hours without a drink, but suddenly they can to the age of 5 and waiting an hour or two between drinks is going to "dehydrate" them confused Even my breastfed 4 month old could last 2 hours between drinks.

The longest most primary children go without a break is 2 hours. So long as they can access drinks at break and lunch then I don't see the problem. This "8 glasses of water a day" thing is pretty arbitrary.

curlew Wed 05-Feb-14 15:00:10

"This "8 glasses of water a day" thing is pretty arbitrary."

It's not arbitrary- it's a mistake!

ScrabbleBabble Wed 05-Feb-14 15:00:52

Yabu we managed fine all day without faffing around with bottles.

curlew Wed 05-Feb-14 15:08:56
TeacupDrama Wed 05-Feb-14 15:12:37

I do not think even a young 4 year old would dehydrate between a drink before school 8.50 and break 10.30 lunch about 12 then afternoon break 2pm and home time 3.30 the longest interval would be 2 hours

I would agree that liquid at lunchtime only in the whole school day is not enough but morning break and lunch and afternoon break is often enough unless heatwave

my DD is 4 she does not drink every 10 minutes even with access to drinks as lily said babies do not drink every 10-15 minutes so a larger child does not need to either

I think it is perfectly reasonable to limit drinking to breaks and lunchtime and/or between lessons unless temperature as soared to 30C or more no-one not even a baby would dehydrate in an hour, no-one needs to sip every 10-15 minutes

DrCoconut Wed 05-Feb-14 15:28:48

I remember at school there was no drinking or snacking at breaks. You got a single glass of water at lunch at primary and whatever you could afford from the canteen at secondary. Outside lunch break nothing was available and if you were caught with things they were confiscated. Even in hot weather, I remember one sports day kids were dropping like flies. Sunscreen was also banned as a cosmetic product confused

DrCoconut Wed 05-Feb-14 15:29:42

Obviously you got a meal at lunchtime too, just to clarify.

maddy68 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:06:14

Actually the theory about children needing water to concentrate in lessons has been disproven. Providing water is available during break times there is no need to drink throughout the lessons.

My school doesn't allow drinking during lessons anymore as it was more disruptive as a result.

They have regular breaks so can drink then

hillsy27 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:40:33

Yanbu. Im a primary school teacher and my class kept their wwter bottles on their table. For the first few days the children went to the loo loads but the novelty soon wore off and they onl drank when needed. Most schools allo children acses to water throughout the day to help concentration.

Schnullerbacke Wed 05-Feb-14 21:08:01

Thank you for all your comments.

I agree that constant hanging onto the bottle is a bit over-the-top and not necessary and that is not my issue. I just feel that if they are thirsty, they should be able to have a drink before they go down to their break or come back up (whilst putting their coats back on rack) and not having to wait until lunch time.

I looked at the school policy after I posted and water drinking as and when needed is encouraged. Perhaps teacher needs some gentle pointing towards policy.....

I must be getting old and grumpy, I just have less and less patience for this constant telling what we can and cannot do, everything is getting so damn regulated (but that is another post).....

RobinSparkles Wed 05-Feb-14 21:13:56

I thought that keeping hydrated helps your concentration?

At my DD's old school they were allowed water bottles with them all the time. I'm not sure that they are at her new school which is wrong, IMO. I keep meaning to ask.

Euphemia Wed 05-Feb-14 21:19:52

It's easy:

No water bottles beside you on the carpet when I'm doing my teaching input;
No getting up to have a drink when I'm doing my teaching input.

Other than that, drink away!

mrsjay Wed 05-Feb-14 21:32:49

as another mumsnetter said children will not be a dehydrated husk or something like that if they do not have access to constant water,

children faff about with water bottles moan that it is too icky if is sitting all day and distracts from lessons
IMlimitedE,, no children will dehydrate if they only have a drink at break and lunchtimes
saying that OP did the teacher actually tell parents all water was banned till lunchtime a drink at break I think they need a drink at break take it up with the school

foreverondiet Wed 05-Feb-14 21:49:54

My son being investigated for irritable bladder, been exacerbated by not drinking enough at school. Consultant told us (he is 7) should be drinking 750ml water before 4pm and that most primary school age children are dehydrated. Clearly to drink that amount need to sipping water all day not just a little from a fountain.

Its not appropriate at just at lunch and break, especially from a foundation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now