Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To deplore the ever-increasing use of the word, butt, when you mean bum?

(119 Posts)
Breadandwine Tue 28-Jan-14 12:22:51

The proper word for that part of our anatomy is arse, or bum or, in polite society, bottom!

'Butt' is a measly-mouthed substitute creeping more and more into our language.

I mean, "Get up off your arse you lazy scum-bag!" (When addressing your DH.)

Or, "Get up off your bum you lazy scum-bag"

Or, "Get up off your butt you lazy scum-bag!"

Which has the greater impact?

The last is a complete cop-out, folks - and we should object to it every time we hear it or see it!

learnasyougo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:02:37

I don't understand people wanting to police other people's language when it'st just a reflection of the great variety of words and expressions we have available to us. Dh likes to say byootocks instead of buttocks (out of fun, not because he doesn't know how to say buttocks). bum, arse, rump, butt, behind, derriere are all good words for our posterior. I don't begrudge anyone else's preference for one over another. I love the variety. both in bottoms and in words

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Tue 28-Jan-14 14:05:09
GoldenGytha Tue 28-Jan-14 14:05:24

It's bottom here,

Don't mind bum so much, but never butt.

Absolutely loathe and detest arse, it's akin to swearing IMHO.

The DC are not allowed to say arse in my hearing, and they are 22 and 21!

Fancyashandy Tue 28-Jan-14 14:07:23

Arse is just so emotive and satisfying though, like shite rather than shit.

Procrastinating Tue 28-Jan-14 14:07:50

Agreed OP.

I prefer arse, but my dc all say 'butt'. Can't stand it, we are English not American.
'Gross' also seems to be part of their language, it means FAT not disgusting. As I may have said 1000 times at least. It makes no difference.
Also high fives, I will NEVER do one.

vladthedisorganised Tue 28-Jan-14 14:09:48

Backside, behind or hin-end in this house.
Hin-ends hing oot of the waistbands of the glaikit articles over the road. Arse is a minor cuss ("Oh arse, I forgot to post that...")

Butt is OK, bottom is not IMO, particularly when talking to adults.

boschy Tue 28-Jan-14 14:10:22

please can I add the expression "got to change the baby's bum".

just wrong. you are not carrying out a transplant, you are changing the baby's nappy.

thank you. I will now butt out grin

KatnipEvergreen Tue 28-Jan-14 14:10:26

I don't mind "butt". Definitely more akin to saying "bum" than "arse".

You can't say "Oh butt!" Though, but you can say "Oh bum!" or "Oh arse!"

Or arsebiscuits.

Fanny would be confusing.

Solo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:13:24

Fancyashandy my friend and I toast "up your bum" instead of cheers grin

I agree OP, it's not butt, I hate butt, my Dd (7) has started saying it, my Ds (15) sometimes says it...it NOT butt!!! it's bum or backside or bottom, it's not butt!!!!!!!!!!! we are not American!!! <and breathe>

Butt is hilarious. Makes me think of Bart Simpson though.

I do find it weird how many people object to something just because it's American in origin. It doesn't mean you have to stop saying bum confused

Also I think "Get off your butt" has far more impact than "Get off your bum" but I use bum more often.

Helltotheno Tue 28-Jan-14 14:21:41

OP are you daring to say that British English trumps American English then?? Hrumph...

Y'know if I bumped into you sitting on the sidewalk carring a bag of tomaytos and diapers and you expressed that sucky view, I would tell you to get off your entitled BUTT and do it elsewhere... oh I would be pissed.

You'll be telling those French soon that 'chair' is already a perfectly good word without bringing 'chaise' into the picture...

The cheek grin

Solo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:21:52

I asked my Dd to call Ds downstairs and I told to to tell Brother to "get your backside down these stairs now please" and she wanted to know first if she was allowed to say backside grin.

Solo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:27:13

But if we are English I think it's not unreasonable to speak in a typically English way. I have an American friend and don't object to her use of butt, tomaydo's or diapers. I just don't want my children speaking with those Americanisms thank you!

ComposHat Tue 28-Jan-14 14:30:14

Bahookie.

chibi Tue 28-Jan-14 14:31:10

i remain perplexed by the use of bottom here,which apparently encompasses a large area anatomically

i found a worksheet from a pshe lesson in a classroom i teach in which asked ' how many holes do girls have in their bottoms'

it was multiple choice, and 'one hole only' wasn't an option shock

GingerPCatt Tue 28-Jan-14 14:31:43

I'm American living in the uk. I use tuchus is that ok OP?

squoosh Tue 28-Jan-14 14:34:59

Solo hate to break it to you but I'm sure your children use a wide array of American slang as it is. We all do.

DoJo Tue 28-Jan-14 14:35:09

Why do people hate the odd American word making its way over here? Do the same people never have deja vu, despite pyjamas or quash feelings of schadenfreude? Surely if we have room for bottom, bum and arse, we can also accommodate butt? As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as too many words - why not have a range to pick from so you can find the perfect posterior for any occasion?

Logg1e Tue 28-Jan-14 14:38:40

I feel the same about the use of "cops" or "Feds" when talking about British police officers.

PixieBumbles Tue 28-Jan-14 14:42:23

I have never taken the word butt seriously. Arse and bum, on the other hand, are wonderful words.

I cannot stand tush or tushy. Sounds twee to me.

SamU2 Tue 28-Jan-14 14:44:26

My MIL hates my children saying the word bum. She tries to tell them they should only say bottom.

We have bums for goodness sake.

Fancyashandy Tue 28-Jan-14 14:45:34

All Sounds so stuffy and stiff upper lip, things evolve. I've even used diaper and stroller - they are just words.

schilke Tue 28-Jan-14 14:48:03

Well, I hate the word bum - it makes me shudder. I am quite happy with arse though. I'm more likely to say butt than bum.

JustAWaterForMePlease Tue 28-Jan-14 14:55:36

Interestingly, there's an advert on over here at the m

JustAWaterForMePlease Tue 28-Jan-14 14:57:02

Oops... at the moment (I'm in the US) that very self-consciously uses "bum"...not quite sure why!

link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now