To think ds will be eaten alive if he wears his team scarf to the match?

(275 Posts)
BettyBotter Wed 01-Jan-14 19:21:03

We live near Blue Town. Ds (15) supports Red City FC but has never been to a premiership match. For Christmas we got ds and the whole family tickets to see the match between Blue Town and Red City when the reds play here.

Ds is insistent that he will wear his Red City scarf and cheer loudly for the reds despite us being seated right in the middle of the Blue Town stands. He thinks because he's only 15 and cute the blue fans won't mind. hmm

I haven't been to a match since 1986 for a while, so have no idea what to expect. Will we actually get out with all our limbs intact if ds does this? Should I ban him from wearing anything red or is football now family-friendly entertainment where the home crowd ruffle the young lad's head and congratulate him when his team thrash the home team?

(For context Blue Town is fairly well known as 'rough' and there were no options to get tickets in family friendly seats.)

Tips, advice and sneering derision constructive comment welcome. smile

Weelady77 Sun 19-Jan-14 18:12:16

Glad you all had a great timesmile

BettyBotter Sun 19-Jan-14 16:48:44

UPDATE:
It was great smile ! Thanks for all your advice. and Ner nerna ner ner to the cruel and unusual present crowd

Honestly it was great. As we were sitting in an area where the tickets had gone on general sale we weren't surrounded by the most fanatical parts of the home crowd. Around us were a family with very young bored dcs, a big crowd of Libyan students who just seemed to be happy to be there and a group of students who knew a lot more about ds's team than the home team more secret away team support so there was no feeling of being out of place or intimidated.

We had to dig ds in the ribs a couple of times when he yelped when his team scored but he managed to keep his excitement under wraps and I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have been actually eaten even if he had cheered glad he didn't though

So, ds saw his heroes win a match. He can now say he's watched them play and heard some fantastic swearing football songs. grin

(And the loos were clean and plentiful!)

Mehrida Sat 04-Jan-14 13:23:01

Hope you all enjoy the game. Despite what's been sai, it really is a good day out. However, be prepared to spend a fortune on programmes, pizza, merchandise etc!

Glad he's seen sense wink hope you all enjoy the match.

BettyBotter Fri 03-Jan-14 22:27:40

Not a derby. Not red vs blue. Not in Scotland. Not this weekend.

Ds has agreed he will sit on his hands and not cheer at the wrong moments.

I will come back and update after the match in a week or two if we survive as I hope to let you all know what a wonderful time we've had wink

flowery was quoting someone else. in fact, she was quoting someone else's post which was on the same page so not even hard to find!

she said she changed the colours.
and it's not alocal derby because they live in blue town and red city are playing away

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 03-Jan-14 18:13:31

Not in view of the pitch means alcohol can be sold but not consumed in view of the pitch

In the hospitality areas it is possible to watch the match behind glass doors (is rubbish though) you can't take your drinks outside.

Ohh is it City vs United? I thought it was Arsenal v Spurs or Liverpool v Everton.

Backing up what BitOutOfPractice said about the continent; we went to a Real Madrid home game (think it was Real Madrid vs Villareal) and bloody hell I would not have liked to have been supporting Villareal, especially as they were seated right near the Ultras (the superfans who would not stop short of extreme violence against someone supporting the other team if they stepped "out of line"). Great atmosphere... if you're supporting the home side and sat in the right stands grin

Amateurish Fri 03-Jan-14 16:30:57

I've been to a derby game where some stupid City fans sat in the home stands at Old Trafford. When City scored, they cheered. They were quickly ejected by the marshals, which was probably for their own safety really.

Wearing of away colours in the home stands is simply not permitted, and you will be refused entry.

As an aside, alcohol is banned inside grounds at European matches. Annoying.

sandalsinthebin Fri 03-Jan-14 16:07:44

Man City and Man U? He'd be a mad lad to do it

crapholes Fri 03-Jan-14 15:19:14

Y

youbethemummylion Fri 03-Jan-14 15:00:51

Themaltesefalcon, we are not football fans so we did not realise it was derby day, he has a football shirt because his grandad bought it for him we just treat it as another t shirt it has no meaning for us other than that. Was visiting a friend who then wanted to go into town we tagged along. I think the grown men shouting abuse at a 3yr old were more stupid than me, but perhaps you disagree?!

DrNick Fri 03-Jan-14 10:00:03

Shit football is crass, isnt it

Obv you wouldnt get this at rugby

notthefirstagainstthewall Fri 03-Jan-14 09:56:33

BitOutOfPractice that was me actually with the quote about banning alcohol not flowery.
Which someone else has clarified means it is not allowed "in view of the pitch"
Which still means it's banned if you're sat watching a game surely?

flowery Fri 03-Jan-14 09:21:54

I'm intrigued by killie pie. Cornish pasties are the only edible thing at our ground. I went to an away match at Carrow Road recently and was looking forward to a Delia pie. DH had assured me that they had special Delia recipe pies so the standard would be high, however no sign of Delia pies.

Perhaps a Norwich fan could enlighten me? Do you get Delia pies in the home stands?

Weelady77 Fri 03-Jan-14 08:33:27

The little 3 year old was at the shops not a match

Mehrida Fri 03-Jan-14 07:54:09

My DF is a policeman at one of the busiest stations in the country, which frequently sees football and rugby fans passing thru.

He maintains that he'd rather deal with drunk football fans than drunk rugby ones as at least the footy fans are predictable. Disagreement, fight, end. Rugby fans generally think they're a cut above and as well as the above sequence they're sneering and underhand.

<Wanders off to drink bovril and put brown sauce on Killie pie>

No idea why I capitalised "derby" there. Over-excited most likely.

DO NOT LET HIM DS1 was 3 when we visited Newcastle on derby day without realising he was wearing his Sunderland shirt people shouted abuse he was 3

That is one of the most criminally stupid things I've read on here.

Why is he wearing a football shirt if he/ you aren't fans?
If you were fans, why didn't you know it was Derby day?

Smells like BS to me.

Weelady77 Fri 03-Jan-14 07:47:11

Saveme banned Scottish grounds but can get it in English grounds

youbethemummylion Fri 03-Jan-14 06:54:47

DO NOT LET HIM DS1 was 3 when we visited Newcastle on derby day without realising he was wearing his Sunderland shirt people shouted abuse he was 3 and at the shops not at the match. Hate to think of what will happen to a 15yr old at the match!

BitOutOfPractice Fri 03-Jan-14 06:54:27

Saveme I'm sorry I don't know about Scotland. But you can buy alcohol at English grounds if you can get to the front of the queue

I was at Colchester a couple of months back and they had some very nice real ale tents dotted around outside the ground where (as an away fan) I enjoyed sharing a drink and laughs with many home fans hooligan that I am

flowery Fri 03-Jan-14 06:54:20

Oh, and don't lie about reading the whole thread. You'd have found the comment about alcohol being banned and the sarky comment about the FA in an earlier post than mine if you'd bothered to do that.

flowery Fri 03-Jan-14 06:53:03

<<gives up>>

I've clearly stated that I didn't say alcohol was banned. You obviously thought I was lying, so I asked you again to read my whole post, (which included quote marks and also the name of the poster I was responding to), and also recommended you read the rest of my posts on this thread, which if you had bothered to so, would have immediately indicated how wrong you are.

So yes, forgive me for being snippy. I don't like being accused of lying by lazy people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now