To think nursery should owe me a day for Boxing Day when they're closed!

(153 Posts)
purplebaubles Sat 30-Nov-13 19:53:21

DD attends nursery just two days a week - Thursday and a Friday.

Just been informed that they are closed on the Thursday (Boxing Day) - no problem. So I said, I'd send her Monday and Friday that week instead.

I've been told it's tough and we'll just lose the day but still have to pay for it?!

I work term time only, so don't get paid in the holidays.

AIBU to think that they should owe me a day, given I'm paying for it?

I might add, normally (i.e not Christmas week!) they're dead flexible if I need to change days.

whatever5 Sat 14-Dec-13 14:08:11

It's ridiculous to charge for days when they are not open. They are not providing a service so why should the customer pay? They need to charge more for the days they are open to cover costs (staff salaries etc) on the days they are shut.

Nurseries clearly only do this to make their "day rates" look cheaper. It's not fair/reasonable at all.

TheDoctrineOfSanta Sat 14-Dec-13 15:15:06

The OP may well be a net loser if the cost of bank holidays was spread as she doesn't use Mondays.

ChessieFL Sat 14-Dec-13 15:15:20

I must be very lucky with my nursery. We do not have to pay when the nursery is closed, and the monthly bill is calculated on the number of nursery days that month. The nursery is closed on bank holidays and for a few other days at Christmas and Easter. This means my bill for December and March/April is much lower than other months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now