"Didn't want to read & run/can offer no advice but.../hopefully better informed posters will be along soon/blah blah...

(65 Posts)
Botanicbaby Thu 21-Nov-13 22:24:05

Jeez. So you 'didn't want to read & run'; and you can 'offer no useful advice'; and you 'hope that more experienced posters will be along soon'; yadda yadda.

Just don't post yet (at least you could wait until the 'more knowledgable' posters have commented) It's not compulsory to comment asap. You can express sympathy/acknowledgment/recognition/all of the above without resorting to a catch all, ineffective 'can't read & run' bleat?

MurderOfGelth Thu 21-Nov-13 22:45:06

Agree with magi

TalkieToaster Thu 21-Nov-13 22:45:22

I think the OP gets it now.

tardis

Sorry. I just wanted to try out that smiley. grin

Would be a bit rude to just say "bump" and then run off, like you were literally just bumping into somebody, if you can see they are in obvious distress, but you have NO idea what to say to make it better.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 21-Nov-13 22:47:36

Gives OP a tardis for reasonable behaviour.

milkingmachine1 Thu 21-Nov-13 22:49:33

Yabu

FeisMom Thu 21-Nov-13 22:52:17

Well done OP for taking the YABUs so well and graciously retracting

atosilis Thu 21-Nov-13 22:53:14

If no-one replies, when you are very sad and shouted into the abyss, those responses acknowledge that your voice has been heard.

lifesgreatquestions Thu 21-Nov-13 22:55:44

Threads complaining about how some people choose to post are far to popular on MN. Some people communicate in a way that others wouldn't. That's ok in my book.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Thu 21-Nov-13 22:59:23

There's nothing worse then no one replying to your thread. I think this is a nice way of bumping it and telling someone they aren't alone.

If someone in RL starts talking to you about a problem and you have no helpful suggestions you don't stare at them blankly refusing to even murmur some support do you?

Botanicbaby Thu 21-Nov-13 23:01:44

thanks to all who have posted replies. I really 'do' get it now. Sorry if I came across as completely insensitive to some of you.

I know now that I was being unreasonable in my OP; the timing of threads and replies on here must be quite crucial in some cases. Lesson well & truly learned.

(was a stupid thing to get irked about tbh, I realise the mumsnet audience is bloody huge -& local forums mostly only get replies from a minority, who may or crucially, may not, have relevant experience too)

Monty27 Thu 21-Nov-13 23:03:22

hmm You really 'do' get it now.

No-one makes their own rules either Botanic. Its a free board. Do you get that?

Botanicbaby Thu 21-Nov-13 23:21:24

monty27 I don't really understand your post.

Its a free board, yes. I can't come along and 'make up my own rules' about who posts what on here. Same as you really.

Just because I've asked a pretty crappy question about mumsnet and am now in a better position to understand the reasons why people post on threads that they themselves admit to having no practical advice for the OP, does not mean that I make 'my own rules' on here.

Do you get that too?

hiddenhome Thu 21-Nov-13 23:23:50

Oh, ffs, stop being so stroppy hmm

kikid Thu 21-Nov-13 23:30:30

shock

ThenSheSaid Thu 21-Nov-13 23:31:56

I love a poster who admits to being U smile

thanks

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 21-Nov-13 23:33:13

brew for OP

Nombrechanger Thu 21-Nov-13 23:35:42

Time of the month, ladies?

Always Ultra anyone?

Tallaween Thu 21-Nov-13 23:41:44

Only if they're delicately fragranced nombre

+can opened, worms everywhere+

takeitonthegin Thu 21-Nov-13 23:51:58

OP Any thoughts on 'marking place'.....(she says as she shamelessly marks place to see how this pans out). grin

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Thu 21-Nov-13 23:52:06

RIP Nombre. I hope you lived a long and pleasant life.

BrianTheMole Thu 21-Nov-13 23:56:53

Would be a bit rude to just say "bump" and then run off, like you were literally just bumping into somebody, if you can see they are in obvious distress, but you have NO idea what to say to make it better.

I don't think so. I think thats ok.

EXTERMINATEpeppa Thu 21-Nov-13 23:57:24

nombregrin

Monty27 Thu 21-Nov-13 23:58:08

Botanic grin so you can't take being wrong graciously? grin

LackaDAISYcal Fri 22-Nov-13 00:00:21

Actually you have a point...in ye olden days, when it was just fields round here, sometimes posters would do this to bump threads in the unanswered threads tab and I would sometimes do this myself. However, I was advised that leaving it unanswered is often the better thing to do, so that anyone with knowledge of that subject clicking on unanswered threads would see it as opposed to it being slightly bumped into obscurity...ie not active, yet gone from unanswered...

But you know YABU to tell people what to post!

SPsWouldCatFishNev Fri 22-Nov-13 00:25:23

I do it. I state that I am no use but I will bump so it doesn't get forgotten. That's only if it hasn't had any replies.

It doesn't harm anyone and it tends to draw people in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now