to not mind my in laws buying my 5yo dd a tablet for Xmas, but worrying she'll think it is shite cos she is used to my iPad?

(171 Posts)
stopthebusiwanttogetoff Sun 10-Nov-13 20:04:15

Sorry - just that.

WooWooOwl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:06:33

YANBU.

FloozeyLoozey Sun 10-Nov-13 20:07:04

Doubt she'll notice the difference at that age.

josephinebruce Sun 10-Nov-13 20:07:31

She's 5 ffs! There are a lot of 5 yo's who won't be getting anything as nice as a tablet. If she does think it's shite then she's a brat.

ssd Sun 10-Nov-13 20:08:17

you mean you'll think its shite op?

Cutteduppumpkin Sun 10-Nov-13 20:09:04

well buy her an ipad yourself then.

iPads aren't all that, you know. Pretty much all tablets are as good as each other unless your PIL are planning to get her some tat from Poundland!

How on earth do you think your 5yo will be able to judge one as better than the other?

YABU.

WooWooOwl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:10:47

That's a horrible thing to say Josephine, she's 5! And its completely inaccurate. She's too young to understand the the value of the difference in price between two brands if tablets, and she doesn't have enough life experience yet to comprehend that she is in a lucky group of 5yo's that get to play on an iPad.

fuzzpig Sun 10-Nov-13 20:11:17

I'm sure she'll be perfectly happy with it. BUT there may be some games that aren't available on android so be warned she still may want to play on your iPad grin

carlajean Sun 10-Nov-13 20:11:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sussexmum38 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:12:20

Unbelievable, the child is being spoilt. Where does it all end if this is a serious question!

stopthebusiwanttogetoff Sun 10-Nov-13 20:13:10

I have no idea, I have an iPad through my work, which I sue for work and Netflix. I get them free apps, which they enjoy, like big cat Collins books, drawing ones, puzzle craft, number things, some hideous barbie and lego ones, y'know the drill, and they take photos with it etc. My inlaws like to spend £100 each on their gdcs, of which I have provided two, and as the kids get idler and increasingly spoiled it is harder to think of things they want, particularly as birthdays are weeks away from Xmas and get another £100. Fwiw I buy them a birthday party each, and this year got three Furbies for £100 from Argos, one each for mine for my niece who will be there for Xmas too. They get toys year round from our stupidly good charity shops (yes my fault I know).

Anyway, sorry totally off topic. Is it worth letting them get her one? Or will she still just want my iPad because it is faster/better pictures etc etc. my ds is older and they gave him a 3ds last year so he is getting games for it.

Monetbyhimself Sun 10-Nov-13 20:14:08

A 5 year old with her own tablet ? Seriously ?

Altinkum Sun 10-Nov-13 20:14:46

depends on the tablet shes getting tbh, our 4 year old has this and we are upgrading his to a older version that has google play etc... he loves playing on his brothers ipad, as it does all the things he wants, like minecraft, draw, word etc...

stopthebusiwanttogetoff Sun 10-Nov-13 20:15:27

Oh god not because she would want her own iPad, she wouldn't have the cheek, just because if tablets are slower/crap she will ask for my iPad despite owning a tablet. Thanks to those of you who are answering the question and not judging my daughter and I.

Altinkum Sun 10-Nov-13 20:17:26

not older, newer older and updated version that should say.

diddl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:24:11

Can they really think of nothing else?

They'll run out of ideas pretty soon!

foreverondiet Sun 10-Nov-13 20:25:19

Dh has an iPad (2) and I have nexus 7. Ds1 is 7 and ds2 is 3 and both would be over the moon with their own android tablet. Any 5 year old who isn't happy with their own android tablet is a spoilt brat and doesn't deserve.

AlexaChelsea Sun 10-Nov-13 20:31:23

What a load of nasty bullshit.

A child who is used to one format and gets another and doesn't like it as much is a spoiled brat? DFO.

DS has an iPad. Because his friends have tablets, I have an iPad and whilst he is pretty happy playing with the other tablets, he prefers the iPad, we have all the same things that go with it, and it's not different to what DH and I have.

To think he (or your dd OP) is a spoiled brat because they prefer one tablet over another is ridiculous.

Idespair Sun 10-Nov-13 20:33:58

My kids (same age as OP's DD) can certainly tell the difference between gadgets that are slow/old/don't have as many functions as others. Schools have computers/tablets/whatever so kids are used to those. We have one iPad for the whole family (2adults, 5yo 7yo) and I think that another tablet for either child would not get used.

peggyundercrackers Sun 10-Nov-13 20:34:35

im sot sure she would find it shite, she wouldn't know any better. I find kids always want what someone else has so even though she has her own tablet she will prob want yours. whatever app/program you get for an ipad you can normally get for a tablet - may not be exactly the same but you will get something similar.

HmmAnOxfordComma Sun 10-Nov-13 20:36:28

We had an iPad (about 18 months ago) and sold it to buy a different tablet (Motorola) for various reasons.

Ds is now 13 (was 11) and it has by default come to be mainly used by him (we prefer laptops). He has never once complained that the Motorola is not as good as the iPad.

toffeesponge Sun 10-Nov-13 20:37:35

My would choose £100 of books over a tablet.

Can you really not think of anything but a gadget?

She is 5 fgs. So much time to enjoy older stuff. Board games are a forgotten joy I feel. <have spent the last half term playing monopoly with my DS2>

Altinkum Sun 10-Nov-13 20:38:57

sorry what a load of tosh that kids don't know the difference between spec, my 4 year old certainty can, he prefers his brothers 3ds to his ds lite, he prefers his brothers ipad to his tablet, he prefers his brothers xbox to his vetch computer, they do know the difference in the exact same way adults do, they are children, not robots!!

ChaffinchOfDoom Sun 10-Nov-13 20:42:50

agree lot to be gained from boardgames! taking turns..playing fair..celebrating the winner.. being a good loser.. literacy skills..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now