To think this year's M&S 'festive' advert is utter garbage?

(105 Posts)
EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Tue 05-Nov-13 09:59:39

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Xw1IL3oh0

Disclaimer: remember i said festive and not the C-word.

I cringed the whole way through. The only performance from Helena Bonham Carter that I've disliked. Roll on the John Lewis one. grin

Mimishimi Tue 12-Nov-13 05:30:45

I liked the ad. I generally don't like their clothing though, they were very dowdy in the Hong Kong stores. I did buy a lovely duffle coat from them but those finds (ie something i'd consider wearing) were few and far between.

Rosie HW looks very different and more ordinary on film than in her still photographs.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 12-Nov-13 07:29:29

is a mess. Think instead of spending fucking obscene amounts of money on this they should sort the boring clothes out.

hyenafunk Tue 12-Nov-13 07:52:33

I loved it. All magical and mystical, reminded me of Alice in wonderland.

The John Lewis advert otoh is absolute rubbish. I don't get why everyone felt so emotional about it. Maybe I'm just dumb but I've watched it a couple of times now and it's nothing to write home about. A bear who always missed Christmas because he's in hibernation. His BF is a hare who misses him at Christmas, buys him a gift- the bear somehow wakes up, opens the gift and goes to see the Christmas tree with everyone dancing around it. That's it and everyone cried hmm. JL let me down this year, I much preferred the snowmen.

GertBySea Tue 12-Nov-13 08:16:28

I thought JL was dull and did nothing to advertise the store. I quite like this one and have also just popped online to order the red shoes. So as a tool to increase sales, it has worked nicely.

tobiasfunke Fri 15-Nov-13 17:46:28

Just seen the J Lewis and Tesco ones. John Lewis one is v boring and reminds me of the book 'Grumpy Badger's Christmas' except without the action. How did it cost 7 million pounds?
I liked the Tesco one because it looked really like the Christmases of the 70's and 80's not just an airbrushed improved version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now